Custom Grab Handles, post what you got!

How does it mount onto the saddle?

With Brides

Picture please?

1 Like

I can give you when I get it back. It is currently being tested. You can go to a hardware store, there you will find mounting brackets that look like the omega sign. You can attach them to the screws of the saddle handle and clamp the tube. You have to experiment with different sizes and types. This is not the same for all seats

1 Like

I decided I wanted something new on the 32 so I hit the LBS and picked up a used aero bar and went to work, after getting the measurements figured out I cut the bar down and then welded it together. other than being just a tad off I think it turned out pretty nice. I rode today at lunch to give it a bit of a shakedown and I think Iā€™m going to like it.

3 Likes

Nice!

I take it the lower handle is there to protect the brake in the event of a upd?

yes, originally it was the only handle and had the brake on it. I still find my self having UPDā€™s so I figured Iā€™d just leave it to protect not only the brake but the aluminum grab handles

Any news on pictures? Iā€™m fairly interested in this bar but Iā€™d like to see how it is attached before ordering one. Thanks :slight_smile:

OK Iā€™ll do one of the sample copie tomorrow. However, it will not be available until the end of February. Write me a personal message which saddle you use. I have to test it first to see if it will be compatible. It would also be interesting to know which country it is going to, because exporting from Switzerland is unfortunately very expensive.

1 Like

I think itā€™d be better to have the answer here, so that others wonā€™t send you 100 PMs :slight_smile:
I have a few saddles that I could use with such a bar:

• Qx Eleven;
  • KH Fusion Freeride;
  • KH Fusion Street;
  • KH Fusion One.

Would all these saddles be compatible?

By the way, Iā€™m in France :slight_smile:

Hello Maxence

Iā€™ll test it tomorrow and let you know

Hier die Posttarife

1 Like

They conveniently all use the same KH base handle hole spacing!

1 Like

Sure, so Iā€™m pretty sure they will all work. But Iā€™d prefer to have confirmation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately you have to wait until I have the parts back here. The saddle cannot be photographed at the moment. I myself have a saddle based on the Velo base plate. Kris Holm saddles, QX saddle is similar. It shouldnā€™t be a problem. But I would like to test it first, but I just donā€™t have the brackets at the moment.

But I can send you a picture of a Miyata saddle, but here the clamps are without rubber, otherwise it would not have fitted.

Here I clamp the rear part at the seat post and the front part at the handle, because the seat handle only has 3 screws at the front. On ā€œnormalā€ saddles I clamp at the 4 grip screws at the front.
The clamps are rubberized on the inside for more grip.

I can tell you at the end of February if it fits on the Kris Holm saddle

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights!

Wouldnā€™t it be stiffer to clamp the rear part at the seat post and the front part at the handle on all saddles that supports it - KH Fusion Freeride, Street, Qx Eleven -? I really look for stiffness, which KH t-bar fails to provide.

of course it would be better. But I havenā€™t found an easy technical solution because the bolt distance is closer than the Miyata. This grip can of course be further developed.

My claim was: It should be very light (it weighs just 100g complete) and cheap. It should be something different than the existing systems, otherwise it wouldnā€™t make any sense. Well, with the Velo saddle, I push the tube back so far that it also stands up at the curve of the saddle plate. This gives a 3rd contact point, but without clamping.
In addition to the mounting option, you can of course also experiment a lot with the handle itself, there are all kinds of handlebar grips that you could mount. And Iā€™m looking for some kind of rubber ball to mount on the end (kinda like the feet the QU-AX pogosticks). This would allow the handle to be gripped well from the front and would be an impact protection

1 Like

Based on that picture it wonā€™t fit on a KH saddle using those clamps, as the holes for the front handle are too far apart. It also wonā€™t fit on a Fusion Zero/One as thereā€™s no bolt holes for the pivotal post.

wait, Iā€™ll show you the proof. I should have the saddle back tonight. The saddle with the Velo plate uses the same handles as Kris Holm. I had to try a lot before I found the right combination of size and manufacturer of the mounts. Here is also the advantage: You can use this handle on different saddle systems. Miyata is a totally different system and I still found a way.

For my Veloplate- based MUnisaddle It was made more difficult, because it has the anchor bolts in the saddle and the threads are relatively short. For saddles with bolts like Kris Holm and QX Eleven, assembly should be easier. However, the shape and structure of the plate is different, so I wonā€™t give it the go-ahead until Iā€™ve really tested it and found the right combination of brackets

I suppose if the holes are further apart then the pipe clamp simply ends up a little wider. I imagine this setup wouldnā€™t work so well for mounting a t-bar as a UPD would put a lot of rotational force on the setup which itā€™s unlikely to be able to cope with? Perhaps a bit of old inner tube would help with that though.

I eagerly await your pictures of other saddles!

2 Likes