Crusty Demons? Unicycle Video

Sorry if this has been on before, but I tried searching the archives and nothing comes up.

In Australia, on channel ten, we have a show called sports tonight.
At the end of the show, as the credits roll, they put on footage of ‘extreme sports’. In the past they have had skateboarding, mtb, kite surfing, motocross riding…and the other night they had a mixture of dirt moto, bmx and uni - all at the same venue. It looked like a ‘crusty demons of the dirt’ show if youve ever seen anything like that on tv.
There were these guys riding unis, i think they were 26 inch, and jumping the big dirt jumps with the guys on the bmx’s and doing big air tricks - my favourite was when they stretched out flat and held the uni only by the seat handle (also horizontal) before pullingit back under them and landing.
They approached the jumps with huge amounts of speed, and had lots of UPD’s, butit was awesome.

It seemed as if they had ‘free wheeling’ unis as well, but i dont know how that would work.

If anyone has seen anything like this, or knows where to download clips of it…tell me. I want to see it again.

Im even contemplating emailing the tv station and asking them who and where it was.

That sounds awesome I’d like to see the superman thing.
-Isaac

Damn it!!! I wish I saw that. I think I might try talkign to Channel 10 too…that sounds crazy!

Andrew

Wow, that sounds surreal. Be very happy you got to see it, I know I wish I did. If anyone can get video of this it would be greatly appreciated.

• Sal

Re: Crusty Demons? Unicycle Video

Everything- including twin face painting-puppet wielding-unicyclists. Now they I would like to see… :wink:

-C

I would really like to see that, as it seems to show unicycles “getting air” in a way they should have a lot of trouble doing. Are you sure it wasn’t faked? Dang it must be hard to land such a Freestyle jump, where you not only have to stay on top of the cycle but you have to pedal like mad to keep yourself there!

It could have been faked … or a trick with camera angles to make them look higher than they actually were.
I emailed the station, they told me they would get back to me, buuut, the guy could remember a year or so ago some guy riding a unicycle like a ‘mountain bike’ on the edge of cliffs and the like…and what he described sounded like kris holm in his one tired guy trailer…but he didnt see the dirt jumps.

The other reason I think it might be faked? Yesterday arvo I tried jumping my 20 inch off a big dirt jump at the local bmx racing track…
A) I couldnt get enough speed
B) I couldnt get enough height (couldnt work out how they got the height)
C)I didnt even get off the ground…

It might be cause of my 20", but I thinkit might be a skill you have to learn - I cant do hand wheel walking while juggling with my feet, but that doesnt mean its impossiable…

It could have been faked … or a trick with camera angles to make them look higher than they actually were.
I emailed the station, they told me they would get back to me, buuut, the guy could remember a year or so ago some guy riding a unicycle like a ‘mountain bike’ on the edge of cliffs and the like…and what he described sounded like kris holm in his one tired guy trailer…but he didnt see the dirt jumps.

The other reason I think it might be faked? Yesterday arvo I tried jumping my 20 inch off a big dirt jump at the local bmx racing track…
A) I couldnt get enough speed
B) I couldnt get enough height (couldnt work out how they got the height)
C)I didnt even get off the ground…

It might be cause of my 20", but I thinkit might be a skill you have to learn - I cant do hand wheel walking while juggling with my feet, but that doesnt mean its impossiable…

That sounds impossible! I’d have to see it to believe it myself! I’d love to see it even if it is fake though!! :astonished:

Big run up and a coaster hub?

It may be possible with a “drag racing” unicycle. I forget where I saw these but they were one wheeled motorized unicycles used in drag racing at high speed. The rider lay down to ride them (presumably to lower the centre of gravity and make them more stable). I can’t find any pictures online but there may be some hiding somewhere.

They looked like the rear of the platform you lie on would drag along the ground until you got up to a decent speed. I can’t believe people were insane enough to ride them but I’ve seen pictures of it being done.

If people can do it on motorcycles and bikes, then why not a unicycle. You would have to pick up enough speed but I’m sure it can be done.

About that Drag racing unicycles heres a site that u can see… well at least i think thats what you are talking about bro----http://extremz.com/main/archive/alternative/unicycle00.htm---- there heh :wink:

Sweeet…its like star wars pod racing, lol. crazy people

I don’t think the idea is to get your body off the ground. There are skids of some kind on the rear of the vehicle, and you ride it kind of like a self-propelled dog sled. The skids run along the ground, hence the name “drag” racing?

Fascinating site! Notice what their organization’s name spells: “A.N.U.S.”

So, here I am reading the about this drag racing thing and thinking, gosh!, somebody must have been drinkin some beers to come up with this idea. And whudda yah know, there it was in “black and white”, just as I was thinking about it.

thats groovy.

perhaps i should find myself a junkyard.