Critical Mass in your city?

We have these in Hobart, Tasmania.

I have been to one on my uni, and never been able to make another one.

As soon as i am back on deck i will be particiapating again.

We have a big group ride every tuesday night here in Tucson, about 200 people come out every week. We follow traffic laws (as best we can) and generally get a good response from drivers.

For the past few weeks I’ve been riding my 26" unicycle with 150s and I’ve been able to keep up no problem. If your in the area I’d recommend it… meets at 8:00pm on Old Main at the university.

Never heard of this before, but they do indeed have it in toronto.

Hopefully by the time nice weather comes around after the winter I’ll buy a nice 36"er and do some uni represent’n

I would go out in it on a 24 I think is the best uni. It is much too slow for a 36 in my opinion.

ah, good to know. not to mention I already have a 24".

Still, I’ll be waiting for good weather. Definitely wouldn’t bother with this in the winter.

I’ve done it once on unicycle - here is the thread from last year with photos: Unicycling Critical Mass in San Francisco It was interesting but I do agree that it’s not completely a good thing.

—Nathan

I did ours on my 20 and was able to pretty much keep up the front of the pack the whole way.

I find these obnoxious. The last one I saw here took over a 50mph road that is the only passage for several miles between the mainland and the beach, and the only access period to a popular state park. Not in the bike lane, either, (there is one on that road) but bikes clogging three lanes at 10mph.

I think it’s irresponsible to do things in a way where the main goal is to disrupt other people.

It should be done in a way that gets a large amount of exposure, but not one that pretty much acts to taunt drivers by causing problems.

Are you in the Albany area?

Sounds like a bunch of assholes to me. I wouldn’t be caught dead riding in something like that. There have been times where running over some asshole cyclist who thinks that he/she belongs in the center of the road has crossed my mind, but the manslaughter charge that will inevitably follow keeps me from pursuing his/her death. I could only imagine how angry I’d be if there were a horde of cyclists in front of me on my 15 mile ride to work.

I do recall one time seeing what must have been at least 50 cyclists who had come in from Phoenix and stopped to take a break at the corner store in my town. After their break, they all proceeded towards the 15 mile stretch from my town to Prescott. I was so, so happy that I had the day off from work.

If there isn’t any other safe place to ride, the middle of the lane is the safest, and most legal, place for a cyclist to be. Long as they share the road and move over when they can. That way there’s room for everybody. Roads aren’t built for cars, they’re built for vehicles. Not all vehicles can go the same speed but they all have a right to use it if they’re street-legal.

I was talking about the ones who don’t. There aren’t that many of them, but when I do run into them, boy, do I start to boil.

Cool. There is a critical mass in spokane as well. Ill be there on my coker. next month though.

Yeah, because the 10 seconds it costs you to wait for a safe place to pass is definitely worth killing someone over, not to mention raising your blood pressure.

This isn’t a typical road; there are very few safe places to pass. A couple of times I had to drive for a few miles behind one of them before I was finally able to pass. Even though I guess it really isn’t a big deal when put into perspective, I still find it extremely rude to ride your bike in the middle of my lane when I need to get to work, dammit! :astonished:

If the road isn’t safe for a car to pass, the bike should ride so cars can’t pass. I find it implausible that any bike would be riding in the center of the road, with car traffic behind him, if there were a reasonable alternative. Cars can’t see the road hazards bikes can.

I’m going to have to take back my original position. I just realized that I traveled that road to get to my job at Subway, making any and all of my anger at these people utterly pointless.

Yup, I think I rode with them once.

It was kind of funny, there aren’t many people in our town. I’ve seen bigger mobs in the supermarket parking lot.

We’ve got a cute little critical mass in our cute little town. I ride my 36" Florian Green in it on the rare occasion. The riders, all 10 to 20 of them (that may be a mass, but I’m not so sure it’s critical), are very polite but maybe not the best at stopping at stop signs and lights. Makes me not want to get too closely associated with them.
I have a hard enough time trying to train all of the car drivers in this town to go through the intersection when they don’t have a stop sign and I do have a stop sign. Or if there is a four way stop and the driver gets to the intersection first and is on the right. Instead the drivers will stop and wait for me to go even though they have the right of way. There I am at a stop sign idling on my 36" with a back pack waiting for them to PLEASE follow the traffic laws and GO! And they look at me as if I’m some sort of handicapped person and their doing me this big favor. I’ve even had people scowl and cuss at me when I insist that they go through the intersection first. The nerve of that unicyclist! Who does he think he is following the right-of-way laws?!
Anybody else out there have to put up with this?

Our cute little town also has an even cuter critical mass for kids called “Kidical Mass”. Let’s hear it…“AAAAWWWW!” I’ve done it with my nine-year old daughter. She was on her bike, I was on my uni. Maybe next time she’ll ride her 16" uni. Film at 11… or next year.
We’ll be in the Halloween parade together on our unis this Friday. Woo Hoo! I’m one proud papa.
Geoff