Creaky profile crank

One of my profile cranks creaks. Onomatopoetic huh? Is it possible to
tighten splined cranks, and if so how? The little hex screw that covers
the hole must be non-metric because it’s bigger than 5mm and smaller than
6mm. Does anyone know the actual size to save me wasting money on more
hex wrenches?

Joe Merrill

Joe,

Unfortunately tightening a set of Profiles only fixes the problem for a
couple hundred yards of riding, then the bolts loosen up and creak creak
creak all over again. These cranks depend entirely on the original
interference fit to stay in place, and as they start to wear the
interference fit loosens up, the cranks become slightly wobbly, and if
they are not greased they will also creak. I wish I had greased mine
from the beginning, as that may have lessened the amount of wear that
mine have now.

Now if I could have my 'druthers, I’d have a MUni with a pair of Azonic
cranks, which are as burly as my Profile dirt jumpers, have something like
a 10 spline pattern, and have a pinch bolt on the bottom side of the crank
to keep everything tight. It’s too bad Mtn bike bottom brackets are like
an inch shorter than unicycle BBs, it would eliminate a lot of the custom
machining required to make such a setup.

Chris

Nycjoe@aol.com wrote:

>
> One of my profile cranks creaks. Onomatopoetic huh? Is it possible to
> tighten splined cranks, and if so how? The little hex screw that
> covers the hole must be non-metric because it’s bigger than 5mm and
> smaller than
> 6mm.Does anyone know the actual size to save me wasting money on more
> hex wrenches?
>
> Joe Merrill

It’s a 7/32" hex. Do NOT use a metric wrench - I found a long 7/32
at a local hardware store for $0.79 that I always carry. The
creaking is annoying and even with liberal amounts of grease I
haven’t eliminated it yet.

—Nathan

<Nycjoe@aol.com> wrote in message news:f.16c1ddc5.28766974@aol.com… One
of my profile cranks creaks. Onomatopoetic huh? Is it possible to tighten
splined cranks, and if so how? The little hex screw that covers the hole
must be non-metric because it’s bigger than 5mm and smaller than 6mm. Does
anyone know the actual size to save me wasting money on more hex wrenches?

Joe Merrill

Nycjoe@aol.com wrote:

> One of my profile cranks creaks. Onomatopoetic huh? Is it possible to
> tighten splined cranks, and if so how? The little hex screw that
> covers the hole must be non-metric because it’s bigger than 5mm and
> smaller than
> 6mm.Does anyone know the actual size to save me wasting money on more
> hex wrenches?
>
> Joe Merrill

That creak is bad news. You need to attend to it immediately.

First remove everything and clean it up with solvent.

Inspect the teeth and grooves for wear. If excessive, it’s over.

If not, then locktite the crank splines and replace the crank. I’m not
too sure of the set up on the profiles but you should have a spacer
washer between the inner bearing race and the crank arm. If not, get
one. Locktite and tighten the end bolt. Then locktite the pinchbolt
and tighten.

G

> Inspect the teeth and grooves for wear. If excessive, it’s over. [snip]
>
> Then locktite the pinchbolt and tighten.

Unfortunately, there is no pinchbolt.

Chris

Although creaky cranks are supposed to be the kiss of death for the crank,
so to speak, mine have creaked for ages and don’t seem to be wearing out.
Profile also informed me that this is quite common with their crank setup
and not to worry about it too much.

Cheers,

Kris. — Chris Reeder <reed8990@uidaho.edu> wrote:
>
> >
> > Inspect the teeth and grooves for wear. If excessive, it’s over.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Then locktite the pinchbolt and tighten.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no pinchbolt.
>
> Chris


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Kris Holm wrote:
>
> Although creaky cranks are supposed to be the kiss of death for the
> crank, so to speak, mine have creaked for ages and don’t seem to be
> wearing out. Profile also informed me that this is quite common with
> their crank setup and not to worry about it too much.

Is there a way to keep the wobble out of them? Mine are getting pretty
bad, I wonder if it would have helped had I used grease from the
beginning and used enough washers so the end bolts could squish it all
together. Chris

If there’s actual wobble then that seems like a warranty issue- mine creak
but I can only barely detect physical movement.

-Kris — Chris Reeder <reed8990@uidaho.edu> wrote:
> Kris Holm wrote:
> >
> > Although creaky cranks are supposed to be the kiss of death for the
> > crank, so to speak, mine
> have
> > creaked for ages and don’t seem to be wearing out. Profile also
> > informed me that this is
> quite
> > common with their crank setup and not to worry about it too much.
>
>
> Is there a way to keep the wobble out of them? Mine are getting pretty
> bad, I wonder if it would have helped had I used grease from the
> beginning and used enough washers so the end bolts could squish it all
> together. Chris
>
>
> >


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/