cranks

I’ve just putted new cranks on my old uni and I’m not able to spin the nuts
correctly so I’m not sure they are really fitted now
could you explain how to put on new cranks for the futre
THX

GROG

Of course, my pleasure:

http://london.unicyclist.com/Tips/BearingOverhaul/Cranks.htm

I have noticed when fitting a number of cranks that there is not enough thread above the level of the crank to use the axle nut to seat the crank tightly on the axle. Kooka cranks on a suzue axle and bicycle euros on cheap Taiwanese axles both exhibit this problem.

When this happens you need to seat the cranks using a rubber mallet or other method. (a 10 ton press works well :slight_smile: Note that a mallet is probably not necessary if you have enough thread to get your crank nut onto the axle before tightening it.

When using a rubber mallet remember to grease the axle spindle (but NOT the thread). This will help the crank go on further. Make sure you’ve put both cranks on, rest one crank on a block of wood or some such and give a couple of good bangs to the other one with a rubber mallet. Turn the unicycle over and repeat with the other crank.

If this doesn’t get them on far enough and you don’t have access to a press you may like to try the following:

Jack up your car. Lie the unicycle with cranks on between some pieces of wood under a car wheel and lower the jack, using the weight of the car to press the cranks on. I haven’t tried this but I imagine it would be fairly effective.

Or perhaps you could set the unicycle on top of a dumpster, and close the lid until it is holding the unicycle in firmly. Then, leap off the 3 storey building beside the dumpster, in hopes you will land over the unicycle. This impact should seat the cranks on firmly.

Just as effective, and necessary, as lowering your car onto it

Re: cranks

“Sofa” <Sofa.hohfm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Sofa.hohfm@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> peter.bier wrote:
> > *
> >
> > Jack up your car. Lie the unicycle with cranks on between some pieces
> > of wood under a car wheel and lower the jack, using the weight of the
> > car to press the cranks on. *
>
>
> Or perhaps you could set the unicycle on top of a dumpster, and close
> the lid until it is holding the unicycle in firmly. Then, leap off the
> 3 storey building beside the dumpster, in hopes you will land over the
> unicycle. This impact should seat the cranks on firmly.
>
> Just as effective, and necessary, as lowering your car onto it

You forgot to insert Bier’s last sentence “I haven’t tried this but I
imagine it would be fairly effective.” for added sarcistic effect.

Re: cranks

Tanks I think I yust forgot the grease so I have to re tighten the nuts
after each ride .
grog

Re: Re: cranks

The grease helps, but it isn’t neccessary. Make sure you put loctite on that nut, there is no need to tighten those nuts after each ride!

Use Loctite, tighten them down tight, and they’ll be locked in place for a Long time

I Read in a mountain bike magazine a few months ago, that they use as a rule of thumb:
Splines=Grease
Square Taper= no Grease

I’ve always used this on my unicycle cranks, and they seem fine. I just tighten them up with a big ratchet, ride a bit, then re-tighten them, However since only 1 of my 3 unicycles have square Taper Cranks and hub, i d’ont do this as often as some other people.

Also, i think the car idea is foolishly unnecessary.

-Ryan

john foss, did you have a story about using this method?(the car squishing trick)

if anyone has some pictures of the procees i’d love to put it in the faq with a caption saying “not particularly reccomended”