cranks

The cranks on my friends uni are wrong. I’ll try to explain. when one crank is parallel to to frame, it is about 1 and a half inches away from the frame. On the other side, the crank is about two inches from the frame. It is visibly crooked. Because of this the crooked crank is always loose. Is there a way to fix this? My guess would be to just buy new cranks.
Thanks for any help

One inch and two inches? Are these imperial inches or the the sort used to measure fish or manliness? If the former, it sounds bad; if the latter, could be one of several things.

If the wheel is not correctly aligned in the bearing holders, i.e. it’s off centre, that could cause a problem.

If one of the cranks isn’t ‘pulled on’ all the way by the centre bolt, it could be too far out AND at an angle (as engineers say: ‘On the wazz.’)

Or is the crank simply bent? If it’s steel, remove it and try some applied traumatic percussion. If it’s alumium alloy, it probably won’t bend, but will snap.

Try whipping the wheel out and putting it in back to front and see if it’s the same crank or the same side that’s out of line. have you twisted the frame?

Good luck.

RE: cranks

> The cranks on my friends uni are wrong. I’ll try to explain. when one
> crank is parallel to to frame, it is about 1 and a half
> inches away from
> the frame. On the other side, the crank is about two inches from the
> frame. It is visibly crooked. Because of this the crooked crank is
> always loose. Is there a way to fix this? My guess would be to just
> buy new cranks.

Cottered? Cotterless? Are the two cranks parallel, or do they make a “V”
shape when viewed from the side?

Or if I’m reading your description correctly, do they make a “V” shape when
viewed from the front or back? If this is the case, sounds like you’ve got a
big problem. Crank is not attached properly, or there is major loss of metal
somewhere. Or could be an axle that’s about to let go.

Ride carefully…

JF

Photos, please.