Crank Grabs

I did a search and all I could find were techniques and all that, I’m wondering if crank/pedal grabbing is healthy for your unicycle.

It doesn’t seem good to do a fullweight jump on a piece of metal. How bad would learning to crankgrab be for my qu-ax trials uni? it’s got splined stuff and all that, but I’m not very technical, I leave that to my brother, and all he says is “Dont know” which doesn’t help me alot.

depends on what your grabbing.

wood and metal will not hurt you uni so much. rough concrete will be a little worse.

Dont worry about your uni though, it´s designed to take stuff like this.

If you’ve found nothing after searching that likely means there is nothing to find. I wouldn’t worry about it. “Everyone’s doing it.” As Fexnix said they are designed with that in mind. if you are really worried grab with the pedal (they are tougher), then go to crank, then up. it just means you won’t be landing on your crank hard. And when you want to learnd pedal grabs you’ll have part of it down.

Don’t worry at all, they’ll get marked up, but they are just marks.

David

You go through life and you choose. Do I want my trials uni to look brand new? Do I want to have fun? I picked fun and the cranks on my KH look like they were run over by a dump truck on a gravel road.

Iv done a 2 ft drop to my crank, nothing happened, Its scratched but who cares?!

Thanks guys, I’ll go for wood first though, just to be sure :stuck_out_tongue:

what exactly is a crankgrab?

e39m5

Here is a video of a crank grab.

You jump on to the side of an obstacal with your crank and pedal and then jump on to the top of it (going to rubber). A pedal grab is when you only use your pedal to do this.

crank grab is also usually seat in and pedal grab is seat out. both are useful and hard on the related parts. but then again a good splined crank will take that abuse and not bat an eye.

I bent the “KH protrusion” on my Summit doing grabs so that when I remove the end bolt the left crank comes out with it (vs removing the bolt with the crank remaining on the axle). Everything is still fully functional; besides, all the damage is on the bottom.:wink:

I disagree.

Yeah I do too. Not sure what I was thinking. However pedals are more easily replaced and not as expensive but tougher no.

David

No. That was a pedal grab.

Yes it is, but let’s keep it a merry thread eh? :stuck_out_tongue: I can’t do seat-out yet, I’ve never really tried training it either, it’ll come someday… I think it’s my brother’s shins that kept me from doing it…

I’ve been trying to polish my crank and pedal grabbing. The grab is not so bad, but the “up to rubber” gives me fits. I can hit it maybe 5 of 10 times. I’m still seat in. Most of the time it feels like I’m lifting a car. I know its just practice and technique.

But while practicing crank grabs (as an easier prelude to pedal grabs) I landed too many times with too much weight on the bearing cover. This pounding damages the bearings. All of the sudden one day I produced an ear-shattering, fingers-on-th-chalkboard “skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech” when riding. Very unpleasant for me and the unfortunate Muggles nearby. I replaced them (a very simple proceedure on a Summit --$10 or so for bearings), but just be aware, metal is not invincible. Its so cheap and easy, don’t let it deter you.

Also, we try to be polite. Pedal grabs will eat wooden park benches and picnic tables. In my experience, if you destroy someone’s stuff, they will ask you to stop. We don’t want to limit our venues, so we’re cognizant of this.

I have been working towards pedal grabs recently. I am doing it seat in on my trials with 145mm cranks.

I always try to break skills down to parts and learn the parts.
I set myself up with one pedal on a curb. Tire is in the gutter. Street is on my left and grass on my right just to the right of the curb. The grass helps to take the falls. I go to rubber to the right. I think it helps to do this to get used to getting the timing and technique of going to rubber after the pedal grab.

Yeah, the tire is in the gutter and I might be getting some push off the tire, but I think it’s a start. A higher curb would be even better, though.

I do this seat in. I am having a hard enough time doing hops seat out at this point. I will try seat out next time.

I also will add the side hop to the pedal grab, later.

Cheers.

That sounds like a good way to practice. Curbs are everywhere. I’ve got a practice spot at a little park about a mile away. (But I don’t use it often enough because Its over there, instead of over here where I am. They use RR ties as retaining walls. I place the pedal on one thats about 3 feet tall and which has a split rail fence on the top, about two feet from the edge. Perfect for my hand to use. I progressively use the hand rail less and less until not at all. Then I move on to lower portions of the retaining walls that I can pedal grab.

I launch from my forward foot. Unfortunately, thats my non-dominant foot. This might be common, I don’t know. My dominant foot is at the rear when I hop, drop, etc. And I grab onto the front pedal.

My buddy Tommy just flows right up from crank to rubber. He seems to use about 1/10 the effort that I do. Carefull observation of his technique teaches me two things. 1. Seat out looks smoother (I can’t yet do SO). And 2. Practicing 500-1,000 times in a session, 2 sessions a day is an effective way to learn a skill.