Did you first learn crank/pedal grabs hopping with seat in or seat in
front? I am trying to learn. Seat in I can hop and grab the pedal or
crank onto a bench, but then I can’t spring sufficiently to get onto (or
of off) the obstacle.

I think maybe jumping with the seat out would make this easier, but
I’ve only just got riding seat out down, so my jumping still needs some
work.

And of course I need to practice my one foot riding/idling, and try to
learn wheel walking. If only I could unicycle all day…

Nick

You can unicycle all day but only for a brief period of time.

I don’t understand the problem as described. After landing and stabilizing the grab, you should be standing on your pedal and/or crank with the pedal and/or crank on some surface. Then you just hop from that leg and lift the seat. Hopping off of the grab to the ground is extremely easy. Hopping to rubber onto the object from the grab only requires about half a wheel diameter in height. What am I missing in your description?

I don’t know about Nick, but I’m finding the going to rubber bit hard. I find it hard to get the height on my muni without the bounce of the tyre. Also, when I was practising pedal grabs on my now-tacoed 20" I kept putting too much pressure on the back pedal when I landed (in the going to rubber part).

Andrew

“HOLY CRAP!” This is what i said after reading this. I’ve been trying my crank to ledge hop for SOME time now and i’ve been trying to find that technique that i have been missing. NOW IT’ SO OBVIOUS! I’ve been trying to hop with both feet (don’t ask me why) or not thinking about what i was suppost to be doing. Now i know i should just hop with one foot. DUH! what was i thinking?
:roll_eyes:

Re: Crank grab learning progression

harper <harper.pyp2z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> I don’t understand the problem as described. After landing and
> stabilizing the grab, you should be standing on your pedal and/or crank
> with the pedal and/or crank on some surface. Then you just hop from that
> leg and lift the seat. Hopping off of the grab to the ground is
> extremely easy. Hopping to rubber onto the object from the grab only
> requires about half a wheel diameter in height. What am I missing in
> your description?

It may be easy to you, you can do it. Presumably once upon a time you
couldn’t do it, at which point it wasn’t easy. :wink:

Anyway, I can seem to get any kind of spring at all when balanced on the
object… I just sort of shuffle a bit then fall over.

I guess the real answer is that I just need more practice. Someone in
another forum suggested that I should learn it seat out instead, which I
don’t recal being suggested before, which is what prompted my original
post here.

Thanks…

Nick

although I’m still learning, I’m up to about a 50% average for pedal grabbing and most of the time it’s just a balance problem in the grab position. It’s defietly easier with the seat out front. You can put all your weight onto the pedal that is grabbing. Once in this position I gently swing the uni up to give a bit of upward momentum while pulling up and over with the seat. I follow the outside pedal with my foot just to keep it level and to locate it for landing but there is no pressure on it other than to level the cranks . I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps. There is also the Kris videos to help explain thing.
http://lutkus.com/video/Kris_Holm_workshop/

I started off trying to learn seat-in, but I could never get the balance right for staying on the edge; I’d jump up but always ended up falling back down. I started trying seat-out instead; it took a while to be able to jump in a stable manner, but it made balancing easier. It probably also makes going to rubber easier too, as you can pull the uni up further…

Phil

Do you think people are disadvantaged when doing pedal grabs if they are forehand hoppers? I’ve been thinking this for a while now because when I land (get ot rubber) I can’t stop putting too much pressure on the back pedal. Unfortunately I no longer have a working 20" (although I’m buying a new wheel for it) and I don’t want to hurt my Profiles. :slight_smile:

Here’s what I mean by forehand hopping…

Thanks,
Andrew