Crank Coming Loose

I’ve got a crank which is continually coming loose. I consider this a problem since it’s not staying on. Although I did have a good play with it making it into one of those soughta kangaroo unicycles, but I want it to stay.

After a tiny bit of riding it just comes loose. If it makes any difference it’s the one on the right? It’s just annoying me.

Any suggestions?

Re: Crank Coming Loose

In article <Robbie.124yed@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
Robbie <Robbie@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I’ve got a crank which is continually coming loose. I consider this a
)problem since it’s not staying on. Although I did have a good play with
)it making it into one of those soughta kangaroo unicycles, but I want it
)to stay.
)
)After a tiny bit of riding it just comes loose. If it makes any
)difference it’s the one on the right? It’s just annoying me.
)
)Any suggestions?

You’ve probably damaged the crank and/or the hub by riding with a loose
crank. As the crank tapers get reamed out, the crank will become looser
and looser; tightening the bolt won’t help. You’ll need to figure out
which piece is mangled, replace it, and then start using better crank-
tightening technique, possibly involving LocTite.
-Tom

A similar thing happened to my Muni.

I have damaged one of the taper on my hub. I have had the hub for about 2 years, so I’m not surprised it is starting to break. My crank doesn’t come loose, as in fall off, but it used to move up and down a fraction, and made an awful noise.

I put some Vaseline on the tapers, and put a piece of wood over the crank, then gave it a good hit with a hammer. It makes it much better, but I don’t think it will be easy getting the crank off!
(Note, please do not hold me responsible if you break anything while attempting to fix your uni!)

Joe,

Heh, don’t worry I wouldn’t hold you responsible if I broke my uni. So what part(s) do I have to replace?

I’m going to replace the hub/cranks soon. I think I will get another cotterless hub, as it has been good! I dont do huge drops on my MUni, so no need for a splined hub. It also depends a great deal on how much money i can scrap together!!!

Joe,

Let me guess, it’s the left crank?

Every left crank I’ve had on a uni has come lose.

I put vasaline on the taper then hammer on the crank using blocks of wood to protect it. The vasaline enables the crank to seat itself further up the taper.

Then put on the nut and tighten it really well.

Then, to be safe, for the first few rides carry a socket wrench in case it comes lose.

NEVER continue to ride with a lose crank, it will destroy either the crank, the axle, or both.

Don’t worry about when it comes to removeing the crank later, you’re going to need a crank puller however you put it on.

This is what i do, some here disagree with the vasaline/hammer approach.

Thanks guys, and by the way it’s the right one, but we might do things differently like hop left foot foward or to the right and mount with left foot and stuff.