Could anyone help me?

Hey guys, I am very new to the sport, and I have a few questions.
First off, I have been riding for a month and I can mount by myself, and I have ridden about 3/4 of a mile. I purchased this uni :

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNICYCLE-20-WHEEL-UNI-CYCLE-RED-BIKE-UNICYCLES-CYCLING_W0QQitemZ270287723622QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270287723622&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It is not very good, at least I do not think so. I wsa wondering which unicycles are good quality for a low-ish price. I have no clue about which unicycles are good or not. I do not want to spend over 150. That is my absolute limit. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Welcome to the forums!

A Torker LX might suit your needs, but its going to be hard to find something in your price range that can take the abuse of bigger drops or more extreme riding.

Welcome to the forums!
Ah yes… my friend bought that unicycle… she described it as “stupid and suicidal”.

I would recommend this or something similar
http://unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=1023

Cheap but very good value for money

Stick around these boards for a while and you’ll learn about stuff pretty quick.

A general consensus seems to be that for beginners, a uni like a toker LX is pretty good for the money. These will run under 150. If you’re interested in eventually doing things that are more demanding on the uni (jumps, drops, muni, anything more than riding on pavement) then you’d likely be best spending more money on a much higher quality product that won’t break when you take it down a curb.

What do you want to do that you can not do with the uni you already have? Replacing a learner with a learner does not make much sense to me. Once you have a riding style figured out that you would like to try that your unicycle is not suited for, then start looking at buying a unicycle that would be more suitable for whatever you have in mind.

Going from a moderately crappy learner (it looks like it has a nicer seat than many learners) to a slightly nicer learner does nothing to help you when you decide you would like to get into Muni, trials or touring, etc.

Save your money until you know what you want then buy accordingly. When you do decide on a style people here can be really helpful in helping you choose a proper unicycle.

Congrats on learning to ride and welcome!

yes, there’s no point going from one learner to another… save up a bit more so you can get a stronger unicycle that can stand a bit more abuse.

I am just starting to research unicycles as I am hoping to get one soon? Any advice for a 51 year old woman who really doesn,t want to break anything important ? I also want to get a fairly decent one around $300. Any body have any advice?

I think I want to try street riding and jumps and such, I dont know the titles for the styles.

Good on you for deciding to learn to ride, it is never too late, there are plenty of mature unicyclists on here who also started later in life.

Freestyle unicycles are great for learning on. I was going to suggest the Club Freestyle sold by UDC but I can’t find in on the American store website anymore. Here is a page of freestyle unicycles from UDC. I would look at the Nimbus II at the top of the page. You probably wont need the ISIS hub and cranks but having something stronger than necessary is not a bad thing.

As you are learning I was suggest the longer (145mm) cranks to start with. Short cranks are nice once you get used to riding but give you less control when going slow making it harder to learn.

For protection I think the most likely thing to get injured when learning are your wrists. Get some good wrist guards like what rollerbladers wear, the Kris Holm wrist wrap gloves are good and comfortable but not overly protective. I would go for something like this

And of course protect your noggin, use your helmet of choice, something that covers the back of your head preferably.

Good luck and welcome to the community!

Sounds like you need a trials unicycle. They are much stronger than your learner but similar in size. When you are doing lots of hops and jumps you want a larger volume tire to take the impacts and give you a bit of bounce. ISIS is a splined interface between cranks and a hub making a much stronger connection than the square tapered “cotterless” connection on your current unicycle. Hopping on cotterless cranks can quickly wreck them.

Here is the unicycle I would suggest, it is more than you said you wanted to spend but worth saving up for. You won’t find much that is cheeper than this and still be able to take the abuse of repeated jumps and drops.

Thanks man, that a lot of money, I think I’ll wait and see if I get serious before spending that much. Thank you very much for helping me out.

That’s the wisest thing to do.

There’s no sense in going out and spending hundreds of dollars if you’re not sure that you’ll have the drive (or time, fitness, etc) to make it worth the purchase.

But yeah, I wouldn’t get an expensive uni until you’re sure about what you want to do.

haha. I did not even read that. thats funny.

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/13004/ I found this one, I think it is the one I will be purchasing in a few months

It looks like a novelty unicycle. It’s not very strong, and heavy… If you intend to do any form of jumping or tricks this really isn’t the unicycle for you. For that you need ISIS really.

Really? I would not have realized that. Thank you

ftfy.

well yeah, splined works too :smiley:

not to pick on you but ISIS is a type of splined setup. It is even in the name: International Splined Interface Standard,