Cool Unicycle Pictures

I took some pictures when i was out riding today, here are a few of them.

img_4661(500x375).jpg

1ft seat in front

img_4664(500x375).jpg

hand ww (starting to fall!)

img_4672(500x375).jpg

seat drag

img_4675(500x375).jpg

gliding

img_4681(500x375).jpg

Nice pics. I like your determined expression on the 1ft, seat in front. How far can you hand ww?

lol. Am i doing that trick right? what i do is put the seat out in front and then put both hands on the seat and put all my weight on it and then put my foot on the crown and ride one footed. My farthest hand wheel walk is about 10-15 feet or so but i cant go any farther becaue it gets really hard to breathe. I am trying to learn hand wheel walk with both feet on the frame and sitting on the seat but it is really hard.

Cool 1ft seat in front… never heard of that…

Chase

Can anyone help with seat drag in back? I can do everything except get the seat back up. I tried to reach and pick it up with my hand but i fell. I have seen people do it with there heels and that looks hard. Which way is easier?

That’s how I do it, usually. In order to pass level nine, you have to have the seat extended quite a ways, so that not even your arms are touching your body. But that’s really hard, and I haven’t worked on it much.

For quite a while this was my best trick. When I was learning it, it gave me headaches and an aching chest, but I did eventually manage about sixty steps. Now I have switched to doing it sitting on the seat, and I actually find it a lot more comfortable. I think it’s also easier than stomach on seat once you get used to it, but it’s harder to learn because you can’t mount into it.

Definitely cool!

I have tried 1f SIF a few times, but didn’t get that far. It’s tough!

Do you have any suggestions on how to practice hand ww sitting on the seat? I tried to go up against the railing on my porch and then lean my knee against it to balance and then put both hands on the wheel, but i always fall because i am moving too slow.
Also, i started working on sideways wheel walk today, have any tips for that trick? So far i find it is easier using only one foot and just having my other foot in the air for balance. But my farthest one is only around 8-10 feet or so.

Anyone have any tips? (read my quote from above post)?

(I’m copying most of this stuff from advice I wrote for the Unicyclopedia a while ago.)

Hand wheel walk advice:

Learning this skill can be rather problematic, since you can’t mount into it, getting into it from idling is somewhat tricky at first, and you can’t use a wall, since you have no way to hold onto it. The best methods are to have a spotter steer you along until you can practice it from idling, or to do it from a pole or the end of a wall. I used a book cabinet in my basement. You also have to have the right kind of saddle. Something like the Torker CX or the Savage saddle is too small and will be very painful. I really like the standard Kris Holm saddle for this trick, as it is fairly big and offers lots of support. How you sit on the seat can make a big difference, especially for guys. Try to sit back on the end of the seat, so that when you lean over your weight will rest mostly on your abdomen, not certain sensitive areas. This is even more the case if you want to learn hand wheel walk with the legs extended. When you try it the first time, get into a steady position and hold onto something with your one hand. Then transfer your feet and other hand to wheel one at time, and lean down and forward. The farther forward you lean, the easier it will be to balance. Put as much weight on the fork through your legs as possible to decrease the discomfort. Now push the wheel a couple times with the hand on the wheel until you are clear of your support, then bring the other hand down and get started. You should make the pushes a ways down the wheel, not right near the fork. You make the balance corrections by changing the speed and direction of your pushes, and by leaning your upper body from one side to another. Side to side balance is the tricky part. If you are falling off to one side slowly, and turning slighlty, try to swing your whole upper body to the other side. If you realize that you are falling off soon enough, you can right yourself this way.

Sideways wheel walk advice:

This skill consists of riding the unicycle sideways in the “hopping standing on the wheel” position, that is, holding the seat tight with both hands, and one foot on each side of the frame.
The first step for learning this skill is to learn to step up one foot at a time into hopping on the wheel, rather than jumping into that position. Once you are comfortable with this, step up, and try to move the wheel sideways. One foot will be pushing the wheel and the other will be pulling it. Concentrate on the pushing foot (the left foot if you go to the left, and the right foot if you go to the right), as it provides most of the power and makes all the balance corrections. After a few months working on this skill, I found that only the pushing foot was necessary, so now I generally do sideways wheel walk one-footed. The advantage of doing it one-footed is that your feet don’t have to work together nearly so much, and you can use the free leg for balance adjustments, the same way you use your arms for most tricks. It’s good to be able to do it with both feet as well, though. The basic method of practicing this skill is to climb into the position and start moving. Because you need both arms to hold the seat, you can’t work from the wall or ceiling, although it might help to have someone as a spotter. Some things to think about when learning are:

1. Very important! Put all your weight on the seat through your arms. Try to be fairly high up and over the seat so that you will be steady in this position. Don’t try to squat, and don’t put any weight on your feet. You just use them to kick the wheel lightly along. If you get sore wrists or break the seat because of this, you are doing something right.
  2. Almost all balance adjustments are made with the pusher foot. Forward and back adjustments, (from the unicycles point of view) are made by speeding up or slowing down as necessary. Side to side adjustments are made by steering the unicycle a tiny amount to the right or left.
    3.Your speed should probably be slightly faster than regular wheel walking, probably about riding speed. This will increase the wheel’s momentum and give you more stability.
    The transitions are fairly simple. To get into sideways wheel walk, do a normal transition to hopping on the wheel. Then lean slightly in the direction you wish to move and go for it. To get out of this skill, do a short sideways glide while leaning back a little in order to come to a stop. Then hop on the wheel and transition back to pedals by your preferred method.
    Like coasting and other advanced skills, sideways wheel walk takes a long time to learn, but it’s definitely worth it!

Kicking the seat up in back with heel:
Before you switch to seat in back, make sure that you have the toe (not the ball or arch) of the foot you plan to use on the pedal. Turn the heel of this foot as far in as you can, without hitting the crank. Now drop the seat in back and let it drag for a while. Try to ride with as little wobble as possible. To lift the seat again, induce some wobble in the wheel as your foot is coming around in back. This causes the frame to swing around over your heel, so that you get leverage on it. When done properly, this should cause the frame to rise. Catch it with your hand as soon as possible, because otherwise you can end up in seat on side, which can be awkward.

Picking the seat up in back: Go fairly slow, then lean down as far as possible until you can touch part of the frame next to the wheel. Try to bump the frame up, then bring your hand back a little and catch the seat post. Then go into seat in back.

I can do both these variations, but I’m not particularly good at either, and I’m not sure which is harder. The shoes you’re wearing make a big difference in how hard it is to catch the frame with your heel. Here is a video of me doing the pick-up, and here is one of the kick-up.

If, as you said in a previous thread, you’ve only been freestyling seriously for about three months, then you’re doing very well. :slight_smile: