cool comment

I was giving my MUni a good workout tonight. On a downhill stretch, a
narrow grassy trail with a lot of bumps and holes, I encountered an
MTB’er going uphill, a seemingly fit sports guy. The only word he
said, in between the panting, was “Respect”. I found that way cool.

Klaas Bil

Last Sunday I was out on a MUni ride with my son and his mate when we saw three guys on their MTB’s. They were just resting having a chat and as we got close one just said “that is so cool”. I was a little speechless at first (OK I was out of breath) but then he asked how long we’d been riding uni’s and was it hard. I said “when I got good on one of those (pointing to his bike) I progressed onto one of these (pointing to my uni)”. He found this amusing so I stopped and talked to them for 10 minutes (I needed a rest as well) and they were really interested and said they were going to have a look at unicycle.com (it’s on the side of my uni) as soon as they got home. I would have given them a go but we were not on the kind of terrain for a beginner.

I think I’m quite lucky ‘cause I’ve not had any bad comments, yet, though I generally don’t get to reply ‘cause I’m usually out of breath :slight_smile:

Gary

i got a great comment today

thug1: yo dude, check that out, all terrain unicycle
thug2: yea, four wheel drive n stuff dude

me: nope, one wheel drive!

I know I’m not Kris Holm, almost, but not quite. Maybe once I learn to idle, gap, one foot, ect… but not yet.

However, today, someone says to me, ‘Hey, you’re that crazy unicycle guy’ (the same words I use to describe KH when I talk to my mtb friends)

I take it and go :slight_smile:

Re: cool comment

Klaas Bil wrote:
>
> I was giving my MUni a good workout tonight. On a downhill stretch, a
> narrow grassy trail with a lot of bumps and holes, I encountered an
> MTB’er going uphill, a seemingly fit sports guy. The only word he
> said, in between the panting, was “Respect”. I found that way cool.
>
> Klaas Bil

Klaas,

My best compliment came when when I was out MUni-ing with my son Gabe-
it was, “Good job Dad!”.

Jason

All,

<possible NON-FAMILY content toward the bottom>

I heard a couple of good ones this past Labor Day weekend (2002) in Atlanta. I was staying at the Hyatt Regency, and daily I would ride around town for several hours and return. On one of these occasions, as I approached on my return, the Parking Valet said to me “May I take your unicycle for you sir?” … Pretty Cool! We both had a laugh. On a different day, a different Valet said “I’m sorry sir, but I don’t think we can help you with one of those.” :slight_smile: Almost as good.

I still got plenty of “where’s the rest of your bike” comments from other people. This time it seemed to be in the form of “hey, somebody stole part of your bike!” … I generally respond with “Sadly, I was on it at the time.” shrug Heh.

Finally, I had a funny moment when a bunch of women were standing around smoking cigarettes and gossiping. One of them wanted to try to ride, so I let her. One of her friends told her “Girl, you gonna get that stuck in your hootchie!”

Somewhere, somebody has a photo of a lady looking frightened, with a cigarette dangling from her mouth, as she tries to look at the camera while standing up a little on my Hunter.

</possible NON-FAMILY content toward the bottom>

Good Times.

Lewis

I prefer to call it “All-Wheel Drive”

I work at a large corporation and was unicycling around the jogging trail at lunch today, as I passed a couple co-workers I hear:
First co-worker: Where’s your other wheel
Second co-worker: Must be more cost reductions going on

Re: cool comment

I had that once on a steep and technical downhill at Manly Dam. Two guys
rode past and said “respect”. Made me feel good for the rest of the ride!

Leo
Sydney, Aust

“Klaas Bil” <klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:3d73e9cd.5351483@newszilla.xs4all.nl…
> I was giving my MUni a good workout tonight. On a downhill stretch, a
> narrow grassy trail with a lot of bumps and holes, I encountered an
> MTB’er going uphill, a seemingly fit sports guy. The only word he
> said, in between the panting, was “Respect”. I found that way cool.
>
> Klaas Bil

help! all i get is people saying “do a wheelie!”, i never get “wheres the other wheel?” i have a bunch of responses to wheres the other wheel, but i dont have any good ones to the wheelie remark…

my best reply to the ‘do a wheelie’ comment is to start hopping straight away
it normally gets a laugh

is there a list of ‘wheelie’ responses?

It had to happen and it did I got my first negative comment, sort of.

I was on my MUni with all my gear on going up a particularly steep and difficult hill section in my local woods when one of a group of three young teenage girls shouted, “Are you training to be a clown”. At this I looked up but as usual I was out of breath and couldn’t speak but the girls just turned around and disappeared, do I look that bad when I’m riding? Was this meant to be negative or not, I don’t know. Did this girl know a clown and realise how difficult it is, probably not.

Anyway to consol me 10 minutes later I came upon two MTB riders who stopped and just stared with mouths open :smiley:

Gary

I’ve heard “respect”. (Thanks. -ditto.) And “Where’s the other wheel?” (It’s ultimate.) And “You’ve lost half your bike?” (No, I found 1/2.) I’ve even heard “Does that make it twice as hard?” (No! 1/2 as easy!) And most of the other clever comments, but what bothers me, lately (when I’m fairly far into a mountain bike trail) is “You’re not really riding that out here are you?” It’s fairly obvious that I am riding it when I hear the comment. -I don’t know how to respond.
My favorite is when a biker pulls over to let me pass, then realizes what I’m riding. Speechless double takes say it all.

Yes, I’m sure there are some wheelie wonderful ones.

Bruce

*“I started when I left home.”
*Look down at your wheel then look back at the commenter and say: “Duh!”
*If they are walking say: “That’s like telling you to walk.”
*“I’m afraid of falling over backwards.”

thanks dustin!! i like those a lot, finally i have something to say to all these nut cases who have to say something to me, just cuz they can

Dustin,
“that’s like telling you to walk” made me laugh so hard milk came out of my nose.
Thanks.

And now, for the banal.

I was riding in my MUni practice area and a small group of paint ball kids were out at the moguls with a mom.

I ride up and ride up and by them

Mom says, " We won’t shoot you."

kid 1 says, " Wow, nice bike, man." Huhhh… what was that i thought.

kid 2 says, “Cool!”

I just said, “Thanks.”

I didn’t stop, just went past and worked on crossing a gully.

The comment that I hate and can’t understand is, “That’s crazy”

Work the maze.