cool (and not cool) comment yesterday

I kinda like the “where’s your other wheel” comments. Either I say “I dunno” or something about not needing it. I walked into class the other day and my physics TA said, “Dude, I think you’re missing part of your bike.” I said, “Yeah, I dropped it on the way over.”

My other favorites are:
“Call the police! Someone stole half this guy’s bike!!”
“Dude, your bike’s missing like, a lot of stuff man.”

The one time I wanted someone to ask “Where’s the other wheel” nobody said it.

I was riding down to the bike shop on my unicycle with the rear wheel of my mountain bike tied to my rucksack. I needed a new freewheel fitted. I rode down and back, and not one person asked it! Every other time I had been out I was asked, but on the only day I could of said, here it is, and pointed to my back, nobody said it.

Innes

Another one I like when people say I’m missing some of my bike, I just say “Only the useless parts.”

That one is absolutely best when you’re talking to bike people.

When irding to the indoor practice, i usualy have my UW with me, and of course, i use it as a steering wheel…
And no one asks where my other wheel is! Amazing!

I agree. Until I got a uni and joined this forum (about a year ago), I thought that clowns were the only people that rode unis as well.

we often ride single track with a bunch of MT BIKERS, and every now and then, I will hide my UNI in the bushes, and hop in behind them like the guy on the MASTERCARD commercial. I will tell them I am waiting for my rewards points to get here. That usually breaks the ice with those guys prety well!

When it comes to the clown thing, I take it as a compliment, they could be throwing rocks or calling the cops instead!

Those jokes usually cease to be funny after you graduate middle school…

my unicylce just got me the job at a local restraunt. Im the clown and i get to ride my uni through the restraunt and make animal ballons

If you think the comments you get while riding a unicycle are bad/annoying, try riding a skateboard around. Want to talk about stereotypes? Try being a long haired 17 year old riding a skateboard. Not only do people try to sell you drugs left and right, but it must be that peoples’ thought process is:

“hey, he’s on a skateboard, and he has long hair… I bet he’s gonna get high and then beat up some fat kids after vandalizing anything he can get his hands on. We better call the cops so he can’t ride that peice of plywood here anymore.”

If you can’t tell, I’m rather bitter about being stereotyped, ESPECIALLY when you don’t fit the stereotype at all. Yea, the 'hey where’s your other wheel?!?!?! LOLZ ROLF!?@1" comments get annoying, but it could be a LOT worse.

The only comments I’ve gotten while riding a unicycle are good natured - people just joke around about it, because, honestly, riding a wheel is kind of odd (in a small town, anyway… I don’t know about cities).

One time, a woman pushing an empty stroller told me that I had lost my other wheel… I told her she lost her kids. We both laughed, and carried on. Just try to use your wit; be light-hearted about it. vanman is right - why be an asshole about it? - that just degrades yourself.

Dave.

someone go to the clown forums and ask them if while they’re walking around they get asked if they ride a unicycle :slight_smile:

-grant

Riding a Unicycle about is a bit odd. I like that one about the empty stroller; I might have though of that one about half an hour after the event.

Lately I have been quite lucky with the comments I have had, a lot of people look at you and appreciate that just riding the thing is an achievement, others just don’t care.

I was once told while riding through the woods, by a couple of kids that I was “Just showing off”, I don’t know who he thought I was trying to impress, maybe the Blackbirds or Crows in the trees.

Innes

It’s just as bad in cities–maybe worse.
I hear comments all the time here in NYC. When I was riding last summer in Paris, I heard the exact same comments in French! Due to higher numbers of people, the ratio of comments from non-unicyclists adjusts itself into a higher number.

Just today, a woman remarked with the ever popular “So, where is your other wheel?”
I just sighed and said “Everyone says that”
She actually seemed genuinely embarrassed and said “Oh, just when I thought I was being original…”
“Don’t worry” I told her, feeling a little bad because she looked like a nice person (and nice looking too!) “it was still funny and it works every time!”:slight_smile:

I usually go with the training whell comment… But I also live in Quebec, which means I smile and nod a lot (being the damn Anglophone I am ;))

And Linux rocks :smiley:

wow. i didn’t quite expect the largely negative reaction. i probably should have. i probably should have stated that i am generally nice to people who make clown/where’s you other wheel comments. its only when the person making said comment is a real jerk about it do i insult them. and then only if i think i could win in a fight. but i’m a really passive person s, who knows. i’m also 6’4 and a little scary looking. and to whomever was talking about stereotypes, i’m totally with you. despite being 23 and relatively clean cut, save for a fairly long pony tail, i get offered drugs all the time. i also get random high schoolers in malls asking me for drugs. its really kinda difficult to explain to a 15 year old why you aren’t going to sell them weed.

Re: cool (and not cool) comment yesterday

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:23:13 -0600, “innes” wrote:

>The one time I wanted someone to ask “Where’s the other wheel” nobody
>said it.

Of course not. They just SAW where it was. :slight_smile:

This one works only if your typical bike has a bell which you ring
casually to warn other traffic participants:

Sometimes when I ride up to pedestrians from behind and they don’t
hear me, I say

“ring ring!”.

And then when they make room without looking, and I’m still behind
them, I add

“Sorry but ever more things are falling off”.

Then when I pass them it’s

“Ooohhh, hahaha!”.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

Class, Klaas, just class!