Conflicting messages about tyre pressures

Having read some forum posts on tyre pressures, many say lower pressure when learning but higher when you nail it.
On the other hand, whilst talking to one of the guys at UDC about my next uni, I asked him what pressure he advised for my 20" Kenda 1.95 tyre for general riding around?
The sidewall states Min 40 psi Max 65 psi. He said ignore the lower figure, and advised that he runs this type of tyre at 30psi for all uses.

Any views on this? :thinking:

Its all based on preference.

I find lower pressures help while learning (idling is one i am working on right now)

Higher pressure is much easier to ride over all. Less tire drag and much more efficient.

My 20" KH trials i run 30 psi (it is far higher then my Norco which rns the Luna trials and i keep about 15 psi in it)

Duro 3"x26" i run about 25 psi

Hookworm 2.5" x 26" i run 65 psi.

The use and application of the unicycle will depict what you find ideal.

I am 5’ 6" and weigh in at 152 lbs of lean muscle

A lot depends on your weight. If the tyre pressure is too low,the sidewall won’t hold it’s shape and you will find it difficult to control the unicycle. Maybe you should start at 30psi as suggested and increase tyre pressure until it feels right. I ride my 20"freestyle uni at 80 psi. with 75mm cranks but when I started I had a lot less air pressure with 125mm cranks.

Hope this helps

Tire PSI is all personal preference.

Yes you can have too low of psi. The way you know you have your psi to low is that the uni feels awkward to ride. The tire will self steer and it feels like you are fighting the unicycle rather than riding it. Once you become better lower psi will result in more flat tires and also debeading the tire more often as well.

Too high of pressure is when the tire doesn’t feel soft at all. On a unicycle the tire helps absorb the terrain you are riding on. On a hard gym floor you can ride with high pressure. On a dirt road you would want lower psi so the tire will grip to the loose gravel more, a larger foot print.

In general 30psi is an all around great starting point for a majority of tires. Once you get better you will learn what feels good to you and what is good for the terrain you are on.

Cheers,
Jacob

I’ve still got my stabilisers on so am very much a learner. When I thought my tyre pressure had got a bit low I pumped that baby up hard enough to knock nails in. My next practice session was awful as I felt I could feel every ridge in the concrete and stone on the floor. Today I dropped it down a bit and, wow, what a difference. Made balance and controllability much easier…in fact, I actually succeeded in peddling about 10m for the first time.
I’ve slung a stirrup pump in the back of the car now with the intention of trying different pressures when my ability grows.

UL

The good thing about tire pressure is that it’s easy to change. Experiment a bit and decide what’s best for you.

I hardly ever measure the pressure in my tires, I just put air in or let it out based purely on feel.

I have a 24 and 29 muni and inflate the tires by feel. I guess I probably used to run my tires harder when I was first learning muni, but over time I found the benefits of a softer tire for suspension.

I just checked my pressures with a gauge:
Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 (35-65psi) actual: 24psi
Panaracer Fire FR 24x2.4 (35-65psi) actual: 15psi

I weigh 140 lbs.

I was kind of surprised to see how low my 24 is. I will likely but a more air in it for my next ride… maybe like 20psi. But I do find a softer tire on rooty/rocky trails feels better. It smooths things out and saves my lower back from fatiguing too early.

Trials I run 40
MUni 26x3 Duro 22