"Completing" a unicycle.

Quickie:

Has anyone here organised a separate front wheel and handlebars so as to
turn a (an?) unicycle into a two-piece bicycle?

Even better - does anybody know where I can get the front half of a bike
so as to do this? (Preferably without having to stand up - i.e. online)

Thanks for your time.

xADF

Andrew Feldhaus wrote:

> Quickie:
>
> Has anyone here organised a separate front wheel and handlebars so as to
> turn a (an?) unicycle into a two-piece bicycle?

I’ve done this for parades. It gets a lot of laughs.

>
>
> Even better - does anybody know where I can get the front half of a bike
> so as to do this?

You can remove the fork from any old bike. Reattach the handel bars, put
on a wheel and off you go. You can also remove the seat from a unicycle
and replace it with handel bars. Look around at garage sales. People will
often give you old bikes that are good for this.

John Hooten

I concur with John, any front fork will do, did it a while back, made it
surprisingly harder to ride the uni though:

http://members.tripod.com/~derek_b/hand.HTM

Simon

                        |
  Simon Greenway | I.O.U O
I.O.U@mindless.com | | Romsey, Hampshire, UK. | Idiots On
    Unicycles \#/
                        | <a href="http://come.to/muni">http://come.to/muni</a> o

we’re no good,we don’t aim to be,'cause we never will be

> http://members.tripod.com/~derek_b/hand.HTM

Interesting.

The unicycling FAQ (I think?) suggests connecting
handle-bar-front-wheel-unit to the unicycle with an inner tube.

Is that sensible (relatively, given this is a unicycling newsgroup) to do
that, or to use a metal connecting piece?

Would connecting the two make it less difficult to ride?

Thanks for the garage-sale idea.

xADF

P.s. - what about handlebars but no front wheel?

I have ridden the combination unicycle - other wheel with handlebars
without any connection between the two. Not so difficult but takes a few
minutes to get used to. You could omit the fork and front wheel if you
like; probably easier to ride. Either way, be sure to include a bell (I
mean the ring-ring variety) if that is normally found on bikes in the
place where you perform.

I have also ridden a contraption with a horizontal frame and two wheels
swiveling in it around vertical axes. One is basically a unicycle, one has
handlebars. Not difficult to ride but looks less funny.

Oh and referring to your first post: I think it is a (not an) unicycle
because the first phoneme is a consonant (not a vowel) in the
pronunciation.

The garage-sale is a good option. But these things are also sold as-is
(are?), I think Semcycle offers them online, as does Showtime IIRC. If you
don’t want to stand up, sit when ordering :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:24:57 +0100, “Andrew Feldhaus”
<Reply@Thread.pls> wrote:

>
>> http://members.tripod.com/~derek_b/hand.HTM
>
>Interesting.
>
>The unicycling FAQ (I think?) suggests connecting
>handle-bar-front-wheel-unit to the unicycle with an inner tube.
>
>Is that sensible (relatively, given this is a unicycling newsgroup) to do
>that, or to use a metal connecting piece?
>
>Would connecting the two make it less difficult to ride?
>
>Thanks for the garage-sale idea.
>
>xADF
>
>
>P.s. - what about handlebars but no front wheel?
>
>


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Putin, no-fly zone, KGB”

> I have also ridden a contraption with a horizontal frame and two wheels
> swiveling in it around vertical axes. One is basically a unicycle, one
> has handlebars. Not difficult to ride but looks less funny.

I saw someone riding a bike with the front wheel missing, that would be
quite fun. You’d have to convert the back hub into a fixed wheel version
or buy a wheel with a fixed hub. Anyone know if you can fit a cog for the
chain onto a normal unicycle hub so you could just use a unicycle wheel?

joe

Klaas Bil <klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:3b6f1a30.5127554@newszilla.xs4all.nl
> I have ridden the combination unicycle - other wheel with handlebars
> without any connection between the two. Not so difficult but takes a few
> minutes to get used to. You could omit the fork and front wheel if you
> like; probably easier to ride. Either way, be sure to include a bell (I
> mean the ring-ring variety) if that is normally found on bikes in the
> place where you perform.
Perform? I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
Also - no bell but I’ve got the perfect horn…

> Oh and referring to your first post: I think it is a (not an) unicycle
> because the first phoneme is a consonant (not a vowel) in the
> pronunciation.
Ah. Thx.

xADF

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:16:15 +0100, “Andrew Feldhaus”
<Reply@Thread.pls> wrote:

>Perform? I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle.
Easiest to ride.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Pentagon, Pretty Good Privacy, Al-Qaida”

Andrew Feldhaus
> Has anyone here organised a separate front wheel and handlebars so as to
> turn a (an?) unicycle into a two-piece bicycle?
>
> Even better - does anybody know where I can get the front half of a bike
so
> as to do this? (Preferably without having to stand up - i.e. online)

I bought a second hand bike for a fiver and used the front end of that.
I’ve also got a couple of friends who have 6’ high handlebars for their 6’
giraffes, but those were custom made.

My Grandad told me of a friend of his who joined his unicycle and
handlebar unicycle together with an old inner tube, to make a flexible
rubber frame. Someday I’ll try this. Maybe for the parade at the next BJC.


Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/danny.html “The secret of life is
honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made” -
Groucho Marx

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

> >I was planning to use it as a custom bike for short distances.
> If there is no fun aspect to it, I’d prefer a single unicycle. Easiest
> to ride.

The fun is when people double-take. A bicycle front is the only way a
unicyclist can begin to blend in.

Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

xADF

=======
Also it should avoid the comment every road-unicyclist hears every
20 minutes.

No, you can’t stop them that easily. They will just switch to “Which way
to the circus” or “Do a wheelie” or…

> No, you can’t stop them that easily. They will just switch to "Which way
> to the circus" or “Do a wheelie” or…

At least you’d have something in your hands with which to beat them in to
submission :wink: