Comments from going over the hill again

Being a nice sunny sunday afternoon I went up the Malvern Hill again. Lots more people around this time than before (a cool thursday evening) and it seemed to go down well!

I received a “I thought I was bloody stupid until I saw you” from a jogger running up the hill. Fair point! To someone saying “you’ve lost a wheel” I managed to remember the “it’s worse than you think, I started off on a tricycle” that someone here mentioned previously. And on the way down I passed three mountainbikers, one saying the usual “you’ve lost a wheel!” to which I replied “nah, I just left the spare at home” which I was quite proud of…

It was only after I got down again someone drove past and shouted out of a car window “get a life!” so I shouted back “Can I have yours, you don’t appear to be doing anything with it”. Bah, boy racers.

Now I’m off to drink several pints of water and collapse in front of the telly… it’s been rather sunny and I’m sweating to death!

But it’s got me thinking about buying a digital camera again. The lower bits where the trail goes through the trees, with the sun filtering through the leaves, looked lovely…

Phil, just me

Phil, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Your perspective is just fine!

I don’t know what Malvern Hill is like, but…

If that jogger wants to be self-abusive, fine, but there’s no reason for you to accept his/her negativism. Just tell ‘em “You’re still bloody stupid!”, and then keep on truckin’!

The rest of your responses, whether verbal or cerebral, were great!

Sendhair, I feel you may have misunderstood the subtlety of the English self-deprecating style of humour. When I read the first post, I was immediately sure that the jogger was showing respect and comradeship to the unicyclist. Your suggested response would therefore have been wholly inappropriate.

‘I thought I was stupid until I saw you’ means, ‘We are both doing something a little eccentric and most people wouldn’t understand either of us, but we understand and respect each other.’

An Englishman insulting another would not do so by involving himself in a comparison with his victim. So, ‘You’re bloody stupid!’ would have been an insult deserving of the sort of response you suggested.

Indeed, it’s those English foibles again. I took it as a mark of respect rather than an insult. I met him again at the top; we both got there from opposite sides at about the same time; I got more odd looks from people who had walked up though!

I’ve found a half decent picture of the Malvern Hills; I’ve stuck it on my website here. The Worcester Beacon is the hill on the left. I came up from the far right of the hills (my house is slightly off the right of the picture…)

Phil, just me

It’s interesting how people can take a phrase differently on either side of the pond. Good job your English then Phil.

Today I had someone say “I saw an advert for an all terrain unicycle a couple of weeks ago but thought it was a joke”. I spoke to him later and he was being quite truthful, as he couldn’t believe it possible to ride a unicycle in the woods where we were.

The more we ride in public the more the public will get used to seeing unicycles doing stuff other than circus related and maybe we’ll have less stupid comments/reactions to deal with.

Gary

nah, i’m afraid mankind is genetically programmed to be stupid

Phil,

Thats really nice, lovely terrain. What is the population density like out there?

Lewis

Most of the population are pretty dense round there!

(sorry, couldn’t resist an opening like that)

Have fun!

Graeme

I had someone, seeing me in the woods on my Pashley, seriously tell me that they had thought the MUni videos he had seen were rigged until he saw me riding. Of course, it will be a while (a long while?) before I’m flow-riding 10 feet up, but it was gratifying nevertheless.

Part of the reason I went up yesterday was that there would be more people. If it’s a nice day there are quite a lot of walkers up there, especially near the top of the Beacon; it appeals to everyone because there are good paths straight up for a quick walk for the family or you can do the whole length of the hills which is a good day’s hike.

On the top there’s always someone around; on the paths upwards it’s quieter, you pass the occasional group or person but most of the run is nice and peaceful.

Malvern itself is a small town; I’ve no idea of the population but the hill is the only decent bit of nice terrain for a long way, so is popular with walkers.

Phil, just me

Thanks, man! I stand corrected! I guess you had to be there… and hopefully, if I had, I’d have read the comment more correctly!

Geez! I guess it just shows to go ya how little tiny things can be so easily bent outta shape and turned into big, bad, completely wrong things!

… whereas, an American quite possibly would! I guess the (American) expression “British sense of humour” [sic] has some relevance here… Hey! I loved Monty Python when NOBODY else in my hometown did!
I’ve always interpreted that comment to equal “American lack of sense of humor”.

I have lived in The United States all of my life and I understood the comradeship if the comment.

Steve

Re: Comments from going over the hill again

I am amazed when I hear comments when riding through the small town my mom
lives in. I am out there riding the same places every night, all the time,
and my little brother rides through there even more often then I do. One
would think people the majority of the people in that area would have seen us
several times and be used to it by now. I even heard a comment from
somebody, at there house, on MY STREET! How could they not have seen at least
one of us riding by now?

__
Trevor Andersen

Re: Comments from going over the hill again

In a message dated 6/24/02 2:02:53 PM,
sendhair.6rioa@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:

<< … whereas, an American quite possibly would! I guess the (American)
expression “British sense of humour” [sic] has some relevance here…
hey! i loved monty python when nobody else in my hometown did!
I’ve always interpreted that comment to equal “American lack of sense
of humor”. >>

I have noticed a disterbing lack of monty python fans in some parts of the
US. I have found it to be less of a problem in Boston then some other places
I’ve been. Though I have to say, by far the largest monty python fan in the
world that I have ever met came from gorgia.

I feel strongly that monty python pioneired the type of comidy that the
country is currently obsessed with. examples: mad TV, austian powers
(brittish?), to some extent the evil dead series.

anyway, unicycle related content: left crank arm, traction=rider force-rider
flab/hill grade, I found your other weel, myiata air seat conversion.

sereous unicycle related content: I don’t feel that I have ever been
“insulted” by a passerby. I feel that they are compleatly astounded by what
they are seeing before them, and could not possibly let this pass by without
saying something. Most people are to socialyphobic to stop you and ask you
if they can have a go, so they are forced to come up with something totaly
original in a very short amount of time, wich 90% of the time amounts to
“wheres your other weel”. Some people who are better at being humans manage
to come up with “cool” or “dood thats awsome”. but you have to take into
consideration, most people have aquired and perfected the defence mechanism
of always hiding their true feelings. Better to seem like an ass but seem
strong then to appear astonished, and risk looking dumb. Of course its
irrational, but it happens.

I think that it is very possible that one of the many people who see us and
are astonished by us everyday, could very well go home that very day, still
in amazement, get online, do a google search for “unicycle”, find our
newsgroup, read by chance one of the threads about people who “bash”
unicycles, feel like a compleat idiot for being that amazingly unorigional,
and at the same time, feel really really bad that they said something that
these people apparently take so hurtfully, when in fact he had ment it to be
in some way encouraging, just couldnt come up with something better.

__
Trevor andersen