Comment

Although some of you here may want at times to call me this, I was, I’m sorry to say, gratiutiously called an assh*le this evening by total strangers, for the simple reason, that I was riding a unicycle. It is the first time in a long time that I can remember getting a seriously negative comment.

C’est la vie.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

That happens at times, it can be hard not to let it get to you. I think it’s probably best to feel sorry for them- they’re obviously not enjoying their lives much.

I had a realization recently which came from me going down a hill which was a little tricky but, I thought, within my capabilities.
I UPD’d, and got a sneering comment from a group of people that I’d ‘tried to be too clever’.

I replied that I was ‘pushing my boundaries’ which, in the past, I would have considered a bit of a naff thing to say, but, in this situation, summed things up perfectly.
i.e. I’d tried something which was on the edge of what I could do, and fallen as a result.

On further reflection I realised that, by implication, they had accused me off being a show off who’d had his cumuppance. Yet the truth of it is that I was totally focused on the ground beneath me, the group of people who assumed I was showing off were of no consequence whatsoever.

Basically, anyone who accuses a unicyclist of being a show off is rather arrogantly assuming that you are even aware of their existence.

There’s been a lot of posts on comments, with a lot of people recomending tolerance and understanding, and I totally agree with this approach.

However, lets face it, us unicyclists are here to stay, and we’re going to be on the roads, on the footpaths, off roading etc.
Our unicycles are a means of transport, no different to a bike or a skateboard; the public, sooner or later, is going to have to realise that we don’t ride unicycles to impress or entertain them.

The comment you recieved was just plain out of order; you have my understanding.

Re: Comment

called one by one

sad

answer: got it right man! I need a real strong one just to handle my seatpost uptight :smiley:

That’s exactly the attidude I take to people like that. Did you do anything to them to provoke this? By the sounds of it, no. Were you riding with the sole intention of showing off? By the sounds of it, no. Were they insulting you because they were jealous of your skill? By the sound of it, yes. I’d just ride past them with a sorry look on my face, muttering something like “I really do pity you, what a shame” etc. Sometimes if they are just little kids trying to be generally irritating, I tell them to come up with more imaginative comments, or say something like “Wow! your a funny guy! We can’t let comic talent like that get wasted, find an agent!” Of course you could go with the totally immature and stupid “Did someone say something?? I don’t think so!”

For some reason, I have managed to escape negative comments for my entire unicycling career, so I attempted a few experiments last night.

Exp. 1
I first began riding and gratuitously called myself an ass****.(ever notice on TV that they only bleep the word hole?)

The result of this experiment was painful, but I didn’t give myself the satisfaction of letting me know it hurt myself.

Exp. 2
I found a group of people who fall into the “ignore it and it will go away” category. Just when I felt I was out of their vision, I rode near a low street sign, smacked it really hard with my hand, then fell dramatically off the unicycle.

Result: Shocked looks and a few looks of concern, but no negativity.

Exp. 3
I donned a giraffe mask and a cape and rode behind a friend of mine who was running, looking backwards at me, and screaming.

Result: We created a situation where the people involved did not even have enough time to react before we had gone by them.

Exp. 4
I balanced a juggling club on my chin while I rode a stationary bike in the gym to monitor reactions.

Result: People thought I was stupid, but didn’t say it aloud.

Total Result: I have been very fortunate to not have received any comments so I must assume that it is my alarming physical size that deters such comments.

JJuggle wrote:
> Although some of you here may want at times to call me this, I was,
> I’m sorry to say, gratuitously called an assh*le this evening by
> total strangers, for the simple reason, that I was riding a unicycle.
> It is the first time in a long time that I can remember getting a
> seriously negative comment.
>
> C’est la vie.
>
> Raphael Lasar
> Matawan, NJ

Was it the gratuitousness or the negativity that bothered you? If the
former, you may request abuse here…

Aside from roid/road rage boy, the worst I’ve gotten has been random loud
sounds, not unattractive or pointedly unfriendly, from cars full of pretty
coeds. Not so bad…

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
–Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

You make it sound like a bad thing. As Cartman from Southpark would say, " It’s all a bunch of tree-huggin’ hippy crap". Go riding with Kurland sometime and work out your frustrations while getting in touch with your inner child.
Peace, love and hand gernades. carjug, who rambles and seldom gets called bad names by frat boys who need smoking cessation programs.

From your post, it sounds like the ‘little town of Bethlehem’ is filled with very nice people.

I agree as well. But I have come up with a comeback for the “Showoff” comment:

“It’s not always about you.”

carjug wrote:
> You make it sound like a bad thing. As Cartman from South Park would
> say, " It’s all a bunch of tree-hugging hippy crap". Go riding with
> Kurland sometime and work out your frustrations while getting in
> touch with your inner child.

Not to admit to anything, but people go farther when you kick them after
you’ve been Cokering for several months.

> Peace,

“I hate peace.”
Thybalt, Prince of Cats, Romeo and Juliet: that’s my boy

> love and hand grenades. carjug, who rambles and seldom gets called
> bad names by frat boys who need smoking cessation programs.

Hey, I didn’t really set him on fire, that was a stupid frat rumor. His
face maybe got a little burned on the exhaust pipe…

It’s not always about you.
–John Foss