Comment I'd never heard before

Also,

~WITTY RETORTS RULE!!!~

I feel a lot better now.

I read the first ten posts before the feeling of déjà vu finally became too much to ignore. Then I looked at the date that this thread was started. Is it proper forum etiquette to resurrect a thread so old and dead? (no need to remind me that I once responded to a thread from 1993). I’m not complaining; I’m just curious. (actually, I’d like to start doing it)

The very FIRST person whom I encountered on my very FIRST ride in public asked me – “Are you a clown?”

uni57 (Dave)

If I got a remark like that i would be furious. I’d jump right off my cycle and say something along the lines of “Listen you little punk shit, you beter shut up or im gonna knock you down.” And if he tries another witty remark I’d beat him with my unicycle.

Another thing I wanted to ask is, when people say “Is that hard?”
what is the best remark? Or something good to say. Thx.

The old thread resurrection is a new phenomenon because of the way the unicyclist.com forum works. The forum keeps all threads and they are all searchable. People are searching old threads and replying to them which brings them to the top of the forum list again. That would never happen in the newsgroup because news servers don’t keep very many old messages. When we (forum users) resurrect an old thread the newsgroup readers see an orphaned thread just come out of nowhere and they can’t go back and see the old messages in the thread because the old messages are no longer on the server. The newsgroup readers are probably hating the forum users because of this. Klaas is probably one of the few newsgroup readers who gets to see the old threads intact because he keeps a years worth of messages on his local machine.

It’s interesting all the ways that the unicyclist.com forum is changing things for the newsgroup people. :slight_smile:

If you resurrect an old thread it would be a good idea to quote the relevant parts of the post you’re responding to so the newsgroup people can get a little bit of context about what you are replying to. If it’s an old post the newsgroup people aren’t going to be able to see the message you are replying to.

One of the other interesting things about the forum vs. the newsgroup is that there is a lot less quoting in the forum than there is in a newsgroup. There are times even in the forum where I can’t be sure what post someone is replying to in a thread because they didn’t quote anything at all in their reply.

Is that hard?

Just give 'em a big smile and say, “Yeah, it’s hard.”

Of course it’s hard. That’s why it’s fun!

That’s the question that always leaves me wondering what to say too. It is hard? What does it mean for something to be hard? It takes commitment to learn to ride a unicycle, but I don’t consider it hard. I can ride a standard unicycle without thinking about what I’m doing at all, it’s all automatic reactions. Actual basic riding ceases to be “hard” once you learn. If you can daydream while riding then riding is not hard. The more difficult freestyle skills are “hard” and continue to involve some difficulty even once you learn them. Riding a technical section of trail can be hard. Climbing a steep hill can be physically hard. But basic riding ceases to be hard once you learn.

My usual reply to that question is that it takes commitment to learn but once you learn it becomes easy to do.

You could just say : “It’s easier to learn than that…” as you point to them walking, as you ride away. Maybe they figured out what you ment, maybe not.

Ahhh! No wonder all these threads make more sence now that I use/look at them in the forum now and not in the Newsgroup! I used to think I was the only stupid person who couldn’t follow anything here!

Yesterday while riding down a neighborhood street, an old woman working in her yard saw me just as I was passing her house and she startled me whe she let out a load gleefull, gitty squeel (like babys make when they get excited) she then started clapping while strangely mixing laughter with ah’s (of amazement it sounded like)

I felt very awkward and sped up to get out of there quicker.

Oops, I comented on why the newsgroup people don’t see what’s going on as easily as the forum users because if thy don’t quote what they are replying to it makes no sence, then I forgot to quote what I was replying to and since then others posted comments so mine was not just under what I was talking about so it makes no sence. Here is the quote of what I was responding to.

----When we (forum users) resurrect an old thread the newsgroup readers see an orphaned thread just come out of nowhere and they can't go back and see the old messages in the thread because the old messages are no longer on the server. The newsgroup readers are probably hating the forum users because of this. ----                                   
                                          written by John Childs

The kid at the rec center is way funny! Funnist I’ve heard in a while. I needed a good laugh!

dan

You didn’t feel awkward – what you felt, deep down… was fear. What kind of work was the old woman doing in her yard? Was she stirring a cauldron? Witches can be quite unpredictable in their behavior – they do not adhere to social norms. This one sounds dangerous. I’d stay off that street if I were you.

uni57 (Dave)

i would just hop off and say, “give it a go mate.” and see what they say.

The only thing I ever hear when i’m on my unicycle is “Where’s your other wheel little boy?!?!” About 97% of the time it’s my older brother, who can’t unicycle but mocks me, being a jackass.

Re: Comment I’d never heard before

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:15:20 -0600, john_childs
<john_childs.j0y3y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Klaas is probably one of the few
>newsgroup readers who gets to see the old threads intact because he
>keeps a years worth of messages on his local machine.
Ah I’m getting known for a couple of things! Actually while this
thread indeed was still intact for me, right now the saved messages
don’t go back a full year. Every new year I do a new install of Free
Agent, keeping the old directory and all messages in it for archiving
(and for the stats of course).

Funny about this: a year long, every day, when I start up the program,
by default it displays the oldest message. This year, Eddie Moffat
cheers me up every night with a couple of bad uni related injuries :slight_smile:

>It’s interesting all the ways that the unicyclist.com forum is changing
>things for the newsgroup people. :slight_smile:
In addition to the two effects you mentioned, what also goes totally
bezirk by posting from the forum, is the hierarchy / threading
(indicated by indenting subject lines in Free Agent). Mostly I can
figure out what is replied to, otherwise I mostly just shrug.
Occasionally I log in to the forum to find out.

Klaas Bil

The pupil of an octopus’s or goat’s eye is rectangular.

>Another thing I wanted to ask is, when people say “Is that hard?”
what is the best remark? Or something good to say. Thx

a comment i’ve adopted after seeing it on this forum is to reply
‘it’s hard to learn but easy to do’
i can’t remember who said it originally else i would credit the source
i like it for a couple of reasons
it’s short and easy to share with some one as u ride past
when u hear it, u have to stop and think about it for just a moment
the people who dont start again aren’t going to be worth talking to
:wink:

Aah, the cry of the nedling (the result of ned and nedess breeding). This must have been one of the more educated ones though, I’m used to “gie us a shoat mister” (tr. “Please would you be so kind as to let me have a go sir?”). A refusal usually gets one of two responses, “F*** off then, ya tube!” or the less vocal, but strangely more eloquent, phlegmy gob (I believe the American term is “hock a loogy”).

This is one of the reasons I don’t unicycle along our local cycle path anymore.

Have fun!

Graeme

My dad and I were riding through town (him on a coker, me on a 28) when three 18ish yearolds walked past:

guy 1:Woh! is that a penny fathing?
guy 2:Dont be stupid its a unicycle.
guy 3: no its not you tw@! its a quad bike!

Not being able to answer when the remark is really clever is one thing, but when its that dumb…

oops, that was meant to be
Guy2: Dont…etc

I’ve always dreamt of beating a 10 year old with my Unicycle. :smiley:

My oddest comment I’ve recieved would have to be something along the line, “I use to be able to do that.”… cuz in the back of your mind, while they’re gawking at you, you know they didn’t.

(Hawk a loogie.)

I think I have heard that at least 3 times in every parade I have ever ridden in. Either that or skipping past the “used to be able” and saying “I can do that” or even better - “I could do that, that’s easy”

No matter what variation I hear, I always ride over to who said it, hop off, turn the seat around and hold it out toward them saying - “here’s your big chance to prove yourself buddy!”

Everyone who knows them bursts out laughing and the persons face turns bright red and I have yet to have someone take the offer to try it. I love to make them look stupid! :smiley: