COMING SOON: UPD Delivery Man Shirts!!!

I love the concept and design, and I, for one, like the large logo on the back and the small stick figure on the front the way Catboy has it. Maybe a large stick figure on the back and UPD on the chest would be cool too. If I had UPD on the front, though, I wouldn’t want it Superman-esque, rather over the breast the way UPS shirts have their logo.

I agree with Tom. If you have UPD on the front, people will walk past you and say “Hey, its supposed to be UPS!” Then they’ll turn around and look at your back and see what the deal is.

I really do love the design and colors. I will totally buy one.

Just as a note: The image has no affiliations with UPS, all similarities in name and design are merely coincidental and have no relation with one another. Also, any display of the logo or use in a public manner must be authorized with the consent of the artist, either written or verbal.

*Just trying to avoid legalities, I’e gotten as much of it taken care of as possible.

sounds like a full-auto kit for an AK-fourty seven.

you can own it ,but if you install it the black helicopters arive at su casa.

Nice one catboy.

With the number of potential orders that you have, how about distributing them via Unicycle.com?

It would save you a lot of time and effort :sunglasses:

Hooked

nice work!

Nice shirts! I think the unicycling community needs more unicycling merchandise available to help spread the word about the coolest sport in the world.

I’ve refrained from displaying things on this forum but since there’s such an interest in uni T’s, I have a t-shirt available also which are available for $14.95 on my website. Check it out at www.ridetheunicycle.com/shirtHat.htm

Here’s a few pics:

I also have the first ever (I Think) Unicycling Pen called the Uni-Pen. This is on order and will be available in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Re: COMING SOON: UPD Delivery Man Shirts!!!

“Catboy” <Catboy@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Just as a note: The image has no affiliations with UPS, all similarities
> in name and design are merely coincidental and have no relation with one
> another. Also, any display of the logo or use in a public manner must be
> authorized with the consent of the artist, either written or verbal.

I doubt you’ve received a cease and desist letter yet, but it might be
worth thinking about what you would do if you get one. The letter
might ask for all unsold inventory, silk screens, etc., plus all the
sale proceeds.

If UPS gets wind of the shirts, you can sure they will send that
letter. Why? Because a company that does not vigorously defend their
trademarks can lose exclusive use of them. And don’t think that
because UPS is a delivery company you are safe selling shirts which
are a different type of good or service - UPS has trademarked the logo
for use in clothing as well:
[http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bvfrcl.4.3].

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I thought you should know what can
happen.

Ken

One thing I noticed that on the big logo under the D there is an area of brown where every thing else is black. I don’t know if people will notice it but if you’re going to use it so big on the back you might want to fix it or just not worry about it.

brownspot.jpg

Like this.

Edit: Sorry its blurry.

catboy-
you don’t need to worry about legal troubles from UPS, you can say it’s parody, a protected form of free speech. that said, probably better to be safe than sorry. also, i want one.

I want 1 too.

Cathy

Nice nice…

I’d go for a buttondown one, that would be sweet.

Or just a tshirt.

(this is assuming I have money.)

I’m paying for an hour of digital artist time when I run the shirts. He’s going to be professionally vectorizing and reducing the colors, and prepping it for printing. What I’ve made is just a pre-shirt design.

Oh, and don’t worry about legal stuff. I’ve made sure I’m within my rights and haven’t violated any TM or copywright laws, but I’d like to avoid any and all confrontation.

So far, my progress has come along way, I’ve cleaned up the design quite a bit, located several excellent printers and digital artists. My goal is to have 2 samples ready by Friday, and then I’ll give y’all an orderform to email/PM/reply with. So the wait shouldn’t be long.

Thanks for all your support and feedback. Everything is on track and should be happening in a week. The shirts will look awesome.

Simply amazing.

Re: COMING SOON: UPD Delivery Man Shirts!!!

“markf” <markf@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> catboy-
> you don’t need to worry about legal troubles from UPS, you can say it’s
> parody, a protected form of free speech. that said, probably better to
> be safe than sorry. also, i want one.

Catboy can say anything he wants*: The question is what will he do if
he recieves a cease and desist letter.

He could attempt to claim parody, fight an expensive legal battle, and
lose. He could comply with the terms of the cease and desist letter.
If the terms of the letter are harsh, he might even be able to
negotiate a different settlement. Winning the right to use the
modified logo ain’t gonna happen.

Why can’t he claim parody? First, because the design doesn’t meet the
legal definition. Second, because UPS has better lawyers, lots of
money, and more interest in fighting issue. Third, because he alredy
said it wasn’t related.

The first hit googling “trademark parody” has a nice synopsis of the
issue. Check it out if you are interested:
http://www.patentfla.com/articles/trademark_parody.htm

Ken

*he CAN say what he wants, though sometimes there are consequences. I
hope he does not don’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater, threaten the
president, or slander me.

Re: Re: COMING SOON: UPD Delivery Man Shirts!!!

Frankly, I don’t think UPS is going to really care–it’s not like there are thousands and thousands of unicyclers out there who are going to be wearing these shirts and causing problems for UPS.
Don’t get me wrong–I would love it if Catboy sold ten million of these and set himself up for life and lived happily ever after, but in fact, there are not too many people in the world who get the UPD thing, certainly not enough to ruffle the feathers of UPS.

Therefore, I don’t think Catboy is in any kind of legal trouble at all–unless these shirts appear at every t-shirt kiosk in the country, UPS is not going to spend a dime hiring lawyers to track this down if it remains a tiny project. That said, if I were him, I would not go out of my way to get their attention either–someone mentioned trying to get UDC to sell them–that in itself might cause a problem because UDC has a tight relationship with UPS, and UCD are quite established as a unicycle company. I highly doubt Catboy will have any problems if he keeps it underground and publicizes it via word of mouth right here–he’ll still sell lots of shirts that way anyway.

Think of it this way–if catboy sells enough shirts to get the attention of UPS, it will be because he has been astronomically successfull in this venture–if he has been astronomically successful, he can afford the lawyers.

Please don’t turn this thread into a debate about legalities, that’s the last thing I want to see. These shirts are here to be fun, I’m sorry I even mentioned anything… let’s pretend I didn’t.

I hope everyone will enjoy the shirts when they are made and will appreciate the hard work I’m putting into this major project.

yes Im quoting you.

without metioning loCATion, i have to say i told you so…post the real offer where it counts. :sunglasses:

free from the riff raff and i love hoppin spam.

EDIT: Warren wants to know where to send the lawyers, Guns and Money…

Catboy, really nice, I’ll definitley buy one. Before I saw this shirt, I think the best unicycle shirt was the one from www.unicyclejester.com . I think this one and that one look the best.

O and when you are ready to sell, will you make a new thread or will you just post under this one? That way I know where to look.

Jon