Cokörhead - Overthrill

Wow!

Ordered late Tuesday night, arrived mid morning Thursday. Never having seen one before, I swore out loud several times when I saw the size of the wheel.

Freemounted at attempt 5 and stalled because the wheel has so much inertia. Then free mounted on attempts 2, then 2, then 3, then 2 the 1st time! It’s surprisingly steerable, but starting and stopping take a bit of planning. On Monday I stopped my 20 inch so suddenly I skidded 3 feet. Slam the anchors on on the Coker and it catapults you skywards!

I can see I’m going to become a Cokernut. :oD

Mike

Congratulations!

Can you describe your freemount technique on the Coker?

I only have a 28"/29" wheel right now, but if I continue to like it, I may try the Coker eventually. The 28"/29" is plenty for me, for now.

Lewis

I just got my Coker today too. I mounted the first few times by grabing the wheel to steady it. Now I just jump/static mount as usual. It’s really easy to ride, and I was surprised at how comfortable the Viscount seat was. I bought a Miyata and a Roach cover and air pillow, I just need to go up town and buy a twenty inch tube to put in it. Joe

I was asked about mounting technique on the Coker. this is the technique I used today, as described to me a few weeks ago by Mark Wiggins. By tonight, I was consistently freemounting the Coker sometimes four times in a row, and I maintained an average of over 50% once I got the hang of it.

Place the cranks at about ‘10 past 2’ with the front pedal higher than the back. The front pedal should be the one waiting for your stronger foot.

Put the seat in your crotch, place your foot on the lower pedal. Keep hold of the front of the seat. Spring up, keeping as little weight on the bottom/back pedal as possible.

The Coker takes time to get rolling. Try to get yourself falling forwards a bit then pedal against your own weight.

So, it isn’t a ‘roll back’ mount. My normal technique for smaller unis is either a very slight rollback, or starting with the cranks vertical, with plenty of weight on the bottom pedal. The 10 past 2 technique described above for the Coker doesn’t work well for me on smaller unis. I think it’s the inertia of the big wheel that makes it work.

Glad so many are getting cokers. They are really neat-o.
-David Kaplan

Forget freemounting a coker, how did you skid 3 feet on your 20" :slight_smile:

Following my mate Andy on a packed soil/clay track that I’ve ridden dozens of times. It had rained heavily and the top 1/4 inch of soil/clay had become a layer similar in consistency to toothpaste, and with the friction coefficient of diesel oil. But it looked just like it did when it was dry.

Andy had a minor UPD. I snapped the back pedal down planning to stop and idle whilst offering advice and guidance. The wheel stopped dead and I skidded straight on until the wheel slid from under me and I did a reverse UPD.

It was so slippery that remounting was difficult as the wheel slipped instead of rolling back.