Cokering around town in the snow

I was wondering when you were going to report back on this.

I can start breathing again :smiley:

:D:D:D

As funny as that was… Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, I was curious to know how WUni would go, as this will be my first winter on one wheel and we sometimes get snow/ice/slush on the streets!

Snow riding is a blast on a uni, way more fun than a bike and a lot esier to bale if things get squirrely. Good snow for riding is the same as good snow for making snow balls, so not too slushy and not too dry, get at when it’s fresh, avoid ice as it can be scary and dangerous.

Second the Todd for big wheel snow riding, there is no better.

For smaller wheels, fat is where it’s at, 4" tires rule the snow!

Perhaps a bit off topic, but loosely related:

I’ve been wondering lately how fat a tire you need for snow riding. Would a 3" Duro handle it? Or is it a 4+ type of thing?

That really depends on the snow.

I didn’t like the Duro in the snow though, it felt too round and too stiff and would break through/sink more than a Gazz, my modified frankentire, or obviously a Larry or Devist8or.

But if that is what you got you might as well give it a try. If snow riding isn’t something you do regularly I don’t think I would bother getting specialized equipment that you wouldn’t use elsewhere.

That’s sort of my plan too. My Uni is still running the Kenda Karma that came on it, and I’ll be trying it in the snow… We get maybe 2 weeks of snow a year if we’re lucky so it’d be sort of silly to get a tyre just for it :smiley:

I’ve been riding in snow since 1970, when I delivered my newspapers on a Schwinn Uni (that was all that was available back then) in Buffalo, NY. Buffalo was always known for its winter snow. No special tire. also rode through fields of snow, by sheer brute pushing on the pedals.

Now in Brooklyn, we still get occasional snow. I’m often out unicycling before people shovel their sidewalks. Again, Coker uni, no special tire.

Now at age 58, if its icy, I wear wrist guards and sport hip protector, because the tire can slip out sideways FAST on ice! ww.shockgarden.com/hillbilly-hip-pads---padded-shorts.html?gclid=CJq4gbay1roCFUhk7AodXywAlA

Last winter I road a 26in duro at the farm on the trials and at the ski slopes so ya :). I think it does fine as long as it is not powdery

Snokering is a lot of fun!

Can’t wait for some snow in NYC.

Andrew-

I met a guy at an art fair in Wichita, KS, who had taken your photograph snokering in Manhattan. I told him, “I know that guy. That’s Andrew Drossman.” Small world, my man. How are the overhead props?

Wow, definitely a small world! What brought you to Wichita? That’s got to be Cary Conover. He’s a very nice guy. He actually tracked me down on the Internet (from this site, I think) to invite me to an exhibition of his photography. He told me the photo he took of me would be on display, but when I walked in and saw that it was blown up to four feet wide and was the centerpiece of his exhibition, I was pretty blown away! He said that picture is his best selling photo. Go figure.

Unfortunately, the overhead props haven’t been spinning for me nearly as often as I’d like. Whether a gyro, fixed-wing, or hang glider, I do manage to get up in the sky once in a while, but definitely not enough. Most of the time I feel like a bird with its wings clipped, stuck in a myopic, two dimensional world. Buzzing through the streets of NYC on my one-wheeler helps me maintain a slight degree of sanity, thankfully.

I have an idea for a really cool vehicle, based on an existing proven technology. It wouldn’t be a vehicle that is very practical for transportation, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to operate in a recreational setting (especially on a track). If you have any interest in hearing about it (and you can keep a secret), I’d love to get your reaction to it.

My first snow comute this winter aswell, I commute on a 26" muni so hoping im not gunna have to change anything apart from mabye my tire pressure