Coker: Worth it?

Hello,

I doubt anyone really remembers me, but I posted for a few weeks back last year. For some reason I haven’t been here recently, but I’m back now, so, oh well. Hello.

My question involves whether or not I should put the money in to get a Coker. It isn’t quite as simple as that, though; I’m in love with my unicycle.

Last year I chipped up $400 or more to get a good mUNI cycle, which was recommended by pretty much everyone I spoke to. It’s not that I don’t like it (as I dig it alot), but every time I ride it and then my old (as in 1960’s old) Schwinn, I’m amazed by my Schwinn. It might just be psychological, but for some reason, I like riding my Schwinn through trails more than my mUNI. Now, back to the Coker.

I have heard great things about Cokers ever since I heard about them in general, and I was wondering if I would like it for a residential ride moreso than my Schwinn. Obviously it is specialized for this, but the mUNI is specialized for…well, mUNI’ing. So, given this information, what is your take on my situation? Should I spend another $400 on something I may just denote as being second best?

-Mitchell

my take is that Coker is big and sloppy for anything but the open road.most of the Coker’s (the stock ones) are made out of tin foil,thus the wheel is a taco waiting to happen.

i would suggest a 29er,they are much faster than your Schwinn 24 and it is a standard wheel size so you get lots of options with tyres.

Cokers are also tankish like mUNI’s,where as 29er’s are light,quick and nimble.you can also get a better 29er for $400 than you could a Coker.

that being said,lots of folks love there Cokers and many will rally to their defence after this post,dont listen to them! they are agents of evil.

~

Hi, welcome back.

Sorry to hear you don’t like your MUni. I’d suggest you look at the reasons for that before deciding about a Coker or any other purchase. There must be a reason why you prefer your cheaper more basic unicycle.

What don’t you like about the MUni?

Is it that you find it too heavy?

Is it that you find the riding action ungainly because the cranks are so long?

Is it that you find the tyre too fat and knobbly for riding on hard ground?

Is it simply that the seat’s set at the wrong height?

Is it that you expected too much from it, and are disappointed that you can’t do more on it?

Is it that you simply don’t get the opportunity to ride the sort of terrain which would get the most out of the MUni?

Is it that MUni simply isn’t your thing?

These aren’t silly or rude questions, and they aren’t the only questions. The situation seems to be that you have a unicycle which is perfectly good but it just doesn’t suit you. That’s a horrible situation. I know: I spent £3400 on a motorbike and decided within a week it was the wrong one for me. I feel your pain.

When you’ve identified the problems, you may be able to make your MUni a more enjoyable machine to ride. Easy changes to make:

A slimmer/smoother or fatter/knobblier tyre.
Change the tyre pressure.
Raise the seat a bit.
Put shorter cranks on - you only need long ones if you do a lot of work on steep hills.
Change the seat?

Ride it more. Still don’t like it? Why?

It could be that you are naturally drawn to trials, in which case I venture to suggest that a Coker would not be ideal for you.

It could be that you prefer a bit of speed, and like to ride off road, but don’t have much opportunity to ride severe terrain. If so, a Coker might be ideal - certainly better than an extreme MUni.

It could be you are drawn to freestyle, fancy mounts, a bit of hopping and reversing. If so, the Coker’s not ideal.

Maybe you want to cover distance quickly. the Coker’s ideal.

Maybe you want to use your uni as an everyday means of transport? In that case, a mid sized uni (26 - 29) might be a better bet.

The biggest decision when choosing a unicycle is wheel size. It affects potential speed, and potential terrain covering ability, and also affects manoeuvreability and safety in crowds and traffic. Once you’ve made that choice, you can chop and change with tyres, cranks, pedals, seat, handle… You can ‘tune’ a uni for your preferred style, and change it for a day or a weekend.

A Coker is an excellent unicycle, if you want to ride for an hour or more at a time, covering serious distances, sometimes at speed, and taking uneven terrain in your stride. If you want to blast through the woods, whizz round the lake, storm down the trail, or bimble to the pub, the Coker’s the machine for you.

If you want to ride every obstacle, drop huge distances, and twist and turn on narrow tracks; or if you want to hop up steps, grind down rails, and do backflips; or if you want to ride backwards one footed, juggling chainsaws, then the Coker’s not for you.

I love mine, but I wouldn’t be without a 20 or 24.

I am an agent of evil. You will hear comparisons between 29er’s and other unicycles you may have owned or ridden. That is because these unicycles are comparable. The Coker is, quite simply, imcomparable. Yes, the Coker is worth it.

Re: Coker: Worth it?

jagur wrote:
> my take is that Coker is big and sloppy for anything but the open
> road.most of the Coker’s (the stock ones) are made out of tin
> foil,thus the wheel is a taco waiting to happen.
>
> i would suggest a 29er,they are much faster than your Schwinn 24 and
> it is a standard wheel size so you get lots of options with tires.
>
> Cokers are also tankish like mUNI’s,where as 29er’s are light,quick
> and nimble.you can also get a better 29er for $400 than you could a
> Coker.
>
> that being said,lots of folks love there Cokers and many will rally to
> their defense after this post,don’t listen to them! they are agents of
> evil.

Speaking as the resident chief agent of evil…

Try one and see. Take a gander at the roster on www.unicycling.org and see
if there’s a Cokeur near you.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others.
–Socrates

jagur wrote:

> most of the Coker’s (the stock ones) are made out of tin foil,thus
> the wheel is a taco waiting to happen.

That’s a little unfair. I weigh over 250 pounds and never tacoed
my Coker. It’s true they aren’t exactly bomb proof though, and I
did have a few scary moments when the rim looked about to fold, but
sprang back into shape. I am much happier with the aluminium rim
replacement.

Arnold the Aardvark

Democracy comes to Iraq
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0513-10.htm

Well, I’d like to thank the people who posted up here. I’m going to hunt down a few dealers at least somewhat close to me and try out both the Coker and a 29".

As for the questions concerning why I don’t like my mUNI…well, I can’t answer half of them really well. Sure, it is heavier and I suppose that may be why I don’t like it as much, but there has to be something psychological about it. It’s just an odd feeling, hard to describe.

Until then, I’ll be riding my Schwinn (which is 20", mind you, not 24 :D) around town and across rough terrain.

First, it’s not my business, but I mean well: I really strongly recommend that you analyse what it is you don’t like about the MUni before you commit yourself to another purchase.

If it’s something as simple as lack of confidence, or lack of opportunity to ride it, these things will affect your attitude to either a 28 or a Coker. If it’s something as simple as crank lengths or tyre choice (I suspect this to be the case) then you can experiment reasonably cheaply. What cranks do you have on the MUni? how tall are you?

I may understand the ‘psychological’ aspect better than most. I traded in a ratty old 2 stroke 250cc motorbike for a brand new 660 cc 4 stroke, and I’ve regretted it ever since. I analysed what I disliked about it, modified it a bit, and now it’s much better, but the psychological doubts are still there… but I won’t buy a new motorbike until I’m completely sure what I want. Do I want a small, light, nimble 125/250, or a faster, smoother large motorbike? This is where you find yourself at the moment: a MUni you don’t like, and a choice between a light nimble 28, or a fast smooth Coker.

Read my Coker/28 comparison, posted today. It is entirely honest. Others will (legitimately) disagree with it, though.

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> jagur wrote:
>
>> most of the Coker’s (the stock ones) are made out of tin foil,thus
>> the wheel is a taco waiting to happen.
>
> That’s a little unfair. I weigh over 250 pounds and never tacoed
> my Coker. It’s true they aren’t exactly bomb proof though, and I
> did have a few scary moments when the rim looked about to fold, but
> sprang back into shape. I am much happier with the aluminum rim
> replacement.

I never tacoed my Coker either, and while I’m not quite as heavy as our
resident aardvark, I was 240# when I learned how to unicycle on my Coker.
230# now, yiking has made me less of a man than I used to be. :wink:

“Scott Kurland” <skurland@juggler.net> wrote in message
news:vcfutkm0vdig39@corp.supernews.com
> I never tacoed my Coker either, and while I’m not quite as heavy as our
> resident aardvark, I was 240# when I learned how to unicycle on my
Coker.

> 230# now, yiking has made me less of a man than I used to be. :wink:

I just realised I used to be over 250 lb. Now it’s 238 +/- my last meal.
So obviously Cokers are definitely worth it.

Arnold the Aardvark

Democracy comes to Iraq
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0513-10.htm

I love my Coker. I cheat and use long cranks, they help with hills a lot, and make riding much more enjoyable on everything but flat pavement. I’ve never tacoed the wheel but I have clobbered the frame, I’ve had as much trouble shimming and bending it back into shape as Erin has had with her recent spinning seatbolt.
Everything you hear about the Beast is true. It is the bomb. If I was buying one I would get the souped up version instead of the standard, but this is because I ride mine a lot. An air-seat would have been so nice… The fancy rim would help with control, and having spent a summer working in a bike shop I can assure you that rims are the most important part of a ride. [tires are cool too]
If you use the word miles when talking about unis then you would love a Coker.

Mitchell,

I’m in northern Virginia, right outside of DC. Do you ride with Checkernuts? He’s up in Pittsburg, I believe.

If you guys wanted to get together for a ride, you can try my new Cokey Deluxe. You could also try my 26" muni for comparison.

Evil here: I love my Coker, but would reiterate the previous comment on thinking in terms of “miles”. For basic neighborhood riding–or riding in fairly congested areas–I wouldn’t recommend it. All core uni processes like starting, stopping, idling, turning, tend to happen in slow motion. But if you have open road or trail, they dominate.

I bought the basic model vs. the more expensive upgrade, and have had some mild regrets over the lack of brakes. Whichever you buy, I’d recommend getting the Miyata w/ airpillow seat option. It’s a winner for long rides.

125s rule!!! They are surprisingly easy for uphills and AMAZING on flats.

We’d love to have you come up to a Unatics meeting in NYC and try The Strongest Coker Wheel in the World, set up with a Magura brake and cyclometer. You will taco before it even thinks about flexing. Just give us a little notice to be sure that it comes to the meeting. We also have a 29er that comes to meetings sometimes.

I agree with Mikefule. I hated the trials that I built until a few months of tinkering fixed the irritating problems. I had to: raise the seat; hollow out the handle and tape it; smooth the back bumper; raise the tire pressure; add tubing on the back seat edges; don freeride shorts.

Now it’s great!

I’d like to extend a further thanks to everyone who posted after my original thanking post, but mainly my post concerns anyone who wanted to meet with me. :slight_smile:

I’d dig the thing in New York that was mentioned, but I’d be very surprised if I were able to make it up there. I’ll try my hardest.

As for nbrazzi, again, I’ll try my hardest. I don’t have any real unicycling mates aside from a couple of my friends who ride lightly. If I were to get together with anyone it would be sometime in June, as my July/August schedules are exceedingly jammed with vacations and the like.

Again, thanks. :smiley: I think I have a few ideas about testing out some new cycles.

And, as for the mountain unicycle I have, I’ll be starting to tinker with it a little here and there. For now, I’m going to ride down to Dairy Queen on my Schwinn.

-Mitchell