Coker Spoke Corrosion

Hello All,
I have a Coker from UDC with the wide hub and the Airfoil rim built by Kovachi. When I bought it, the site said 12g spokes.

I have had it less than a year. I rode 1500 miles this summer on it. Today, I was cleaning it really well, and I noticed that almost every spoke has one or more spots of corrosion. Most are at least 1/4 inch or more.

My guess is that the spokes are NOT stainless steel. Perhaps I should have investigated and looked to upgrade them. I have always ridden in dry weather and ride the easy stuff, no MUNI with it. So why are the spoke corroded.

Here is my theory, When I ride I usually ride 20-40 miles a day. I sweat like a pig, even with a headband and helmet, and I believe the sweat drips on the spokes. The salt from my body causes the spoke to corrode. Neither the frame or the rim have any corrosion.

Has anyone else had these same results?

Does anyone know, would the same thing happen with Stainless Steel spokes?

Did I get a bad batch of spokes?

Should I ride the wheel to it’s death, or get a new batch of spokes and have it re-built?

My first 24’ uni suffered from sea water corrosion problem. The answer to your problem is a product called “Boeshield T-9.” Another user in the forum Doug, recommended it and I have been using it faithfully since. And no more corrosion problems! I have a Coker and asked about the corrosion problem way back. "http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40076

The stock Coker spokes are not Stainless Steel. My old stock Coker spokes look like they’re zinc coated but it’s hard to tell for sure. I don’t know if they’re still using the same type of spokes as back then or not.

Corrosion on the spokes will be mostly cosmetic, except for if you get corrosion near the threads and near the nipple. If you get corrosion around the nipple it could become difficult to true your wheel and adjust spoke tension.

Do what leadpan suggests and spray a protectant on the spokes and that’ll be good enough.

A magnet will not stick to good stainless steel.