Coker speed

I saw on this website that on a coker its possible to travel at a speed of 30km/hour, is this true???

A Coker ridden by Roger Davies or John Stone will certainly reach 30km/hr. One ridden by Christian Hoverath will attain speeds much higher than 30km/hr. A Coker dropped from an airplane or tall building can reach even higher speeds.

I have a feeling that would be terminal.

I clocked Ryan doing (I can’t remember which one) 35 or 38 Km’s with 4" cranks on it. Luckily I didn’t run him over when he went flying :slight_smile:

Re: Coker speed

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:56:15 -0500, bugman
<bugman.pgjm5@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>>A Coker dropped from an airplane or tall building
>> can reach even higher speeds. *
>
>I have a feeling that would be terminal.

:slight_smile:
Yes both in the sense of the terminal event that the Coker would go
through, and terminal velocity. On the latter issue there has been a
thread some time ago. Forgot what estimated terminal velocity for a
Coker we ‘landed’ on.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“No two crotches are alike. If they are, I don’t want to know about it. - John Foss, on seat comfort.”

Depends if you’re talking average speed, peak speed, maximum speed without falling off…

My computer only reads max speed (for the trip) to the nearest whole mile an hour. On 150mm cranks, I’ve seen 15mph max speed = 24kmh.

I’m pretty sure I’ve been faster on 125s for a short period.

30kmh = 18.65mph, which is a 25% increase on my maximum. As I’m 40, I’ve only been Cokering for a year, and I have a healthy survival instinct, I can readily believe that others can beat me by 25 %.

I think the biggest obstacle to hitting a high speed is the simple fear of falling off. I can tell you that it is unpleasant to UPD at a higher speed than you can run, especially as the chances are that you will be on tarmac or concrete to hit this speed!

I’ve always hit the ground running (knock on wood) but several times I’ve had time to contimplate in the air if i was going to try to run out, or try to duck and roll on impact.

Running out has always prevailed, but can lead to a huge faceplant and busted ankles (I would imagine) but the rolling method seems so ‘final’ although I’m not ruling it out

So far I’ve only had one UPD on the Coker that I couldn’t run out. It all happened very fast but I knew I was going down. I had just come up a small ramped section of concrete onto a sidewalk. It was just enough of a change to force a correction in balance. I’m riding 150’s and I was going more than 10mph, too fast for what I was doing. I tried to steer my fall towards the grass and made it, well the left half of my body did anyway. The other half went body surfing on the sidewalk. I’ve also had good luck running things out up until this time.
I got off relatively easy though, a small cut on my elbow and a hole worn through the palm of my leather glove. This was about a half mile from home at the end of a 10mile ride, so I was still in that euphoric Coker state of mind. I just dusted myself off, straightened out my seat and cruised the rest of the way home, still smiling.

If Christian Hoverath can average 22.2km over 800m, from a standing start, on a 24 with 125 cranks, that would suggest he should be able to do at least 37-38km maximum whilst riding a coker on 110s.

Joe

As a passionate cokeur I felt it my duty to reply here. First of all, my fastes ever clocked speed is 17.5mph (approx 28 km/hr). This was downhill on 125s. I have recently put 102s on but to tell the truth, at the moment I am very scared of them. One word: MADNESS I hope to get out on it more (so I can get used to the scary feeling) now my exams are finished, but for the moment it is feeling slightly neglected.

Secondly, if I ever UPD from my coker it is usually because I am going too fast. So fast, that running out of it is impractical and I end up doing a sort of bellyflop onto the road. I cant seem to be able to roll properly, it just doesnt work!

Thirdly, I suspect that Roger Davies frequently gets speeds of over 30 km/hr. If he finds this thread I’m sure he will comment for us :slight_smile:

The trick is to duck your shoulder a little and roll over sideways, rather than doing anything particularly acrobatic. You can practice falling off a smaller unicycle to get the hang of rolling. Sometimes it’s just unavoidable though, I did the dismount you described at Red Bull last year at as fast as I could on hard ground and I almost vomited. I think it was because my feet slipped off the pedals. I’ve done exactly the same off the 29er and a couple of times off the 26 in rocky places.

Joe

Hehe, it never seems funny at the time, but looking back at it, it must look really funny!!

Now you come to mention it, I find myself stomach-planting properly off of my 26 a lot. By properly I mean slapping the ground hard with your stomach, a real winding SMACK. With the coker I dont get the winded feeling as much but I do tend to skid across the road on my hands, another good reason for wearing gloves :slight_smile:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:39:28 -0500, joemarshall
<joemarshall.pip5m@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>If Christian Hoverath can average 22.2km over 800m, from a standing
>start, on a 24 with 125 cranks, that would suggest he should be able to
>do at least 37-38km maximum whilst riding a coker on 110s.

You make two mistakes here, I think. The smaller one is that he
averaged 22.8, not 22.2 km/h. More importantly, you apparently
calculated 22.2 * (125/110) * (36/24), which seems to be based on the
CFSH (Constant Food Speed Hypothesis © Mikefule). But I am pretty sure
that even for a speed devil like Christian, the CFSH breaks down in
the Coker-on-110’s case simply because the fear factor sets in due to
a) high speed, and b) less control because of the low leverage. So
your ‘at least’ should really read ‘at most’, as indeed it is safe to
assume that the CFSH gives an upper limit when going to a larger wheel
and shorter cranks.

“No two crotches are alike. If they are, I don’t want to know about it. - John Foss, on seat comfort.”

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:06:42 -0500, foolish
<foolish.pj9ra@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>This was
>downhill on 125s. I have recently put 102s on but to tell the truth, at
>the moment I am very scared of them.
Why don’t you try 110’s?

I don’t like going above 19.5mph… it scares me.

I have clocked 24.5mph on my computer but I am not sure if that was lieing. I know the 19.5 is real. I can sustain an average of 18mph for probably 5 miles but then I am knackered.

Roger

Roger…

“Unicycling Newbie”? Surely some mistake!

My max speed on the Coker was a true 48.5kph with 125 cranks, chasing a
biker on EUT. But, that WAS scary!

“joemarshall” <joemarshall.pip5m@timelimit.unicyclist.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:joemarshall.pip5m@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> If Christian Hoverath can average 22.2km over 800m, from a standing
> start, on a 24 with 125 cranks, that would suggest he should be able to
> do at least 37-38km maximum whilst riding a coker on 110s.
>
> Joe
>
>
> –
> joemarshall - dumb blonde
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> joemarshall’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/26272
>

What?! 48.5 kph??? you’re insane… and you’re my hero! wow

Klaas, i would have gone to 110s but someone gave me some 102s for free. I reckon it will be easier just to learn not to be scared rather than spend money on new cranks.

P.S I think the reason Roger is only a Newbie is because he seems to have only just swapped from using Usenet or whatever it is the ppl use, to using unicyclist.com. He just hasnt got round to changing it

rogeratunicycledotcom.pjmpy@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>
>I don’t like going above 19.5mph… it scares me.
>
>I have clocked 24.5mph on my computer but I am not sure if that was
>lieing. I know the 19.5 is real. I can sustain an average of 18mph for
>probably 5 miles but then I am knackered.
>
>Roger

…and I can vouch for Roger. He’s very fast! He beat me in a 400m race
(we were riding on 24"s) while he read a book the whole time. That was
humbling!

I don’t think I could average 18mph for that long, tho I think I could do
it for a mile. I can easily maintain 16mph, tho, for long rides. My max is
a mere 21mph.

David

i think it is rather nice to be a “unicycle newbie” not sure if I want to change it… even if I knew how :thinking:

The news feed to the mailing list has become so irratic and unreadable over the past month, I had to change. Getting only one in 10 mails is worse than useless. I have also been trying to joing unicycist.com since it started but it keeps on not letting me, but eventually persuaded it to let me.

Roger