Coker question?

As some of ya’ll may have already read in my other post, I got my Coker last week!!!
I want to install a computer on it. I believe someone posted that the Schwinn computer would work with the Coker’s 36"wheel. Could someone please verify if this is true before I buy one and install it? Thanks :wink:

Re: Coker question?

Yes.

There are now two models of the Schwinn cyclecomputer available. An older one button model and a newer two button model. I use the one button model.

I don’t like the newer model because it does some dumb things like reset your wheel size to a default value when you hold down both buttons (it should be smart enough to remember your old setting and not reset it). It’s a PITA to have to re-input your wheel size just because you held down both buttons. The sensor doesn’t seem to be very sensitive either. The magnet needs to be really close to the sensor for it to register. Too close. Way too close.

The new Schwinn model sucks. If you can get the older one button model get it. The older model works fine. Otherwise, look for a different cyclecomputer.

My only complaint with the older model is that you cannot reset just the maximum speed. You have to reset the trip distance, max speed, and ride time all at the same time. You cannot just reset the max speed individually. You might want to look for a different cyclecomputer that lets you reset the max speed without resetting the rest of the trip data.

With the Schwinn computer you will need to file the slot in the magnet wider so it will fit over the fat Coker spoke. Just use an emery board or a skinny file to make the slot wider.

Thanks John :slight_smile:

I just bought a GPS. Although more expensive than a cycle computer, it gives you all the functions of a cycle computer (speed, avg. speed, moving time, stopped time, max speed, etc) without any setup with respect to wheel size. It’s pretty cool other stuff too, like mapping where you’ve ridden.

-Eric

Re: Coker question?

“Krashin’Kenny” <KrashinKenny@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>As some of ya’ll may have already read in my other post, I got my Coker
>last week!!!
>I want to install a computer on it. I believe someone posted that the
>Schwinn computer would work with the Coker’s 36"wheel. Could someone
>please verify if this is true before I buy one and install it? Thanks :wink:

Yes, it works great, includes the battery and costs only about $10 at
Wal-Mart. The Coker circumference range is about 2750-2850 mm which
fits well within this unit’s 3999 mm limit.

It will mount on the GB handle computer mount easily with one of the
included rubber shims. The spoke mounted magnet has to have its slot
size increased slightly to accommodate the thicker Coker spoke; this can
be sone with a small flat file and several minutes of size checking and
filing effort.

It is the Schwinn 12 Function Cycle Computer with the following outside
the packaging on the front:

Schwinn Quality logo

ONE TOUCH
CONTROL PANEL

TOUGH
COMPOSITE
CONSTRUCTION

FRAME
ATTACHMENT
BRACKET

EASY
INSTALLATION

The back has a picture of the unit, repeats the above, lists BATTERY
INCLUDED and the 12 functions, OWNERS MANUAL INCLUDED and
www.schwinn.com plus:

© 2002 Pacific Cycle. SCHWINN ™ and SCHWINN QUALITY ™ are registered
trademarks and are used under license from Pacific Cycle, LLC.
Manufactured and distributed exclusively by PTI Sorts ™, Nanuet, NY 10954
Made in China.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>