Coker Mount

I just got my new Coker today. I have been trying for a while, and am having
trouble free mounting. I can easily side-mount a 20 and 24 inch, and i thought
that i may be able to do the same on the Coker, but i just wasnt able to get it.
I did although have more success with the side-mount than the regular mount. If
anyone can give me tips on how to get on this monster, i would really apreciate
it. If I learn to get on, i plan to go and try all of the longer rides (New York
bike tour, The Earth Day ride, and that one out in
N.J. that i heard about). Please help me out.

-Dave

Re: Coker Mount

Would that Jersey thing be the Unithon down at Long Beach Island? That’s June 2
this year.

At 07:20 PM 3/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I just got my new Coker today. I have been trying for a while, and am having
>trouble free mounting. I can easily side-mount a 20 and 24 inch, and i thought
>that i may be able to do the same on the Coker, but i just wasnt able to get
>it. I did although have more success with the side-mount than the regular
>mount. If anyone can give me tips on how to get on this monster, i would really
>apreciate it. If I learn to get on, i plan to go and try all of the longer
>rides (New York bike tour, The Earth Day ride, and that one out in
>N.J. that i heard about). Please help me out.
>
>
> -Dave

Plavnicky plav@optonline.net http://www.timeoff.org/plav from my box to yours

Re: Coker Mount

–part1_ee.130cf70d.27f144e8_boundary Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=“US-ASCII” Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have encountered the same problem with my Coker. My momentum trying to get
over that behemoth wheel always takes me to far. So if anyone has tips on the
coker freemount, I too would like them.

ERich

–part1_ee.130cf70d.27f144e8_boundary Content-Type: text/html;
charset=“US-ASCII” Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>I have encountered the same
problem with my Coker. My momentum trying to get <BR>over that behemoth wheel
always takes me to far. So if anyone has tips on the <BR>coker freemount, I too
would like them. <BR> <BR>ERich</FONT></HTML>

–part1_ee.130cf70d.27f144e8_boundary–

Re: Coker Mount

I remember at MONDO XI Gilby taught me how to mount his coker really easily.
Ever see someone do a hand wheel walk? If not, Ill try to describe it. If so,
then skip down. Get the seat under yourself, dominant foot on one of the pedals
like youre going to do a regular free mount, but take your hand and hold the
wheel steady. Then, simply (I use this term loosely) hop up, put your other foot
on the other pedal (still holding onto the wheel), steady yourself and attempt
to ride. Now I must say Im not the most talented rider, but I got this farely
quickly. Its a great way to learn, somewhat like using a wall to learn to first
ride. Id say youll get at least one start after trying maybe 10 times. The first
9 times youll need just getting used to mounting in such an odd fashion. Well, I
hope I helped you out!

Johnny T :smiley:

Re: Re(2): Coker Mount

–part1_95.8c44927.27f15a71_boundary Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=“US-ASCII” Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Ha! One must learn to sets ones sights where they fall. If I could even ride my
uni and if then I could even imagine owning a Coker, I would be more than happy
to climb up on the car bumper and shuffle myself on over to the seat. Dontcha
just wanna ride it forever and ever and ever? Tina

–part1_95.8c44927.27f15a71_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset=“US-ASCII”
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Ha! One must learn to
sets ones sights where they fall. If I could even <BR>ride my uni and if
then I could even imagine owning a Coker, I would be more <BR>than happy to
climb up on the car bumper and shuffle myself on over to the <BR>seat.
Dontcha just wanna ride it forever and ever and ever?
<BR>Tina</FONT></HTML>

–part1_95.8c44927.27f15a71_boundary–

Re: Coker Mount

Figure out where the pedal should be for your mounting foot. Then take a step or
two back. Then walk forward and jump up onto the Coker. You have to jump pretty
quickly, but it’s not a hard jump. At first I was straining but then realized
fear was getting in the way. As your momentum carries you up and over the top,
you catch the other pedal. Now you’re perched on this mammoth wheel, and perhaps
flailing around, or just sliding off. You may need to practice just getting on
top of the thing without even going anywhere for a while.

Once you feel comfortable getting on top the wheel, what you have to do as
quickly as possible, is get the wheel spinning. When I was learning, I would
grab the seat, lean forward and give the pedals a kickstart, just to get moving.
As you get used to it, it becomes more fluid and you won’t think about it. Once
the wheel is moving the momentum, makes it really easy to ride. Hope this helps.

Joe Merrill

Re(2): Coker Mount

TWOPADSTAK@aol.com writes:
>I have encountered the same problem with my Coker. My momentum trying to get
>over that behemoth wheel always takes me to far. So if anyone has tips on the
>coker freemount, I too would like them.
>
>ERich

Same as how to get to Carnegie Hall: Practice, practice, practice.

Re: Coker Mount

I would agree with this advice, I learnt this during the MN ride and it is
very useful when you are tired. I have also found it useful when you are on a
steep hill because you can mount without moving backwards and your feet are
already in the power position. The one piece of advice that I can add to what
has been said already is that do not try and idle to start, you must mount the
unicycle with it either stationary or moving forward. The only person I have
ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount is Sarah and I don’t know
how she does it.

Roger


The UK's Unicycle Source <a href="http://www.unicycle.uk.com/">http://www.unicycle.uk.com/</a>

----- Original Message ----- From: <MoNKeYSPaZ@aol.com> To:
<JFatSmokes@aol.com>; <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001
3:37 AM Subject: Re: Coker Mount

> I remember at MONDO XI Gilby taught me how to mount his coker really
easily.
> Ever see someone do a hand wheel walk? If not, Ill try to describe it.
If
> so, then skip down. Get the seat under yourself, dominant foot on one of
the
> pedals like youre going to do a regular free mount, but take your hand and
> hold the wheel steady. Then, simply (I use this term loosely) hop up, put your
> other foot on the other pedal (still holding onto the wheel), steady yourself
> and attempt to ride. Now I must say Im not the most talented
rider,
> but I got this farely quickly. Its a great way to learn, somewhat like
using
> a wall to learn to first ride. Id say youll get at least one start after
> trying maybe 10 times. The first 9 times youll need just getting used to
> mounting in such an odd fashion. Well, I hope I helped you out!
>
> Johnny T :smiley:

Re: Coker Mount

> I would agree with this advice, I learnt this during the MN ride and it is
> very useful when you are tired. I have also found it useful when you are
on
> a steep hill because you can mount without moving backwards and your feet are
> already in the power position. The one piece of advice that I can add to what
> has been said already is
that
> do not try and idle to start, you must mount the unicycle with it either
> stationary or moving forward. The only person I have ever seen mounting a
> Coker with a rocking back mount is Sarah and I don’t know how she does it.

I do that, just bung the pedal to the bottom, well just behind that, step up
onto it and rock back then ride forward. I can’t do the jump mount at all,
mainly fear I guess, also I think I didn’t bother trying hard to learn any other
mounts on the coker once I learnt to get on it. Hmm, this one does sound useful
though, I’ll have to try it.

joe

Re(2): Coker Mount

Roger@unicycle.uk.com writes: The one piece of advice that I can add to what has
been said already is that do not try and idle to start, you must mount the
unicycle with it either stationary or moving forward. The only person I have
ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount is Sarah and I don’t know
how she does it.

Actually, an idle start, as you put it, is tricky but I got it within a few
tries. I don’t even have my Coker running yet (just got one yesterday), but I
have tried my bro’s and found several mounts doable: the momentum-needy striaght
mount, the easier jump mount (scary to some folx) and the idle mount. Note: I am
5’9", so height is not a big factor. But I do have strong legs from 20+ years of
riding. I think anyone with decent leg strength can do any of the 3 mounts
mentioned, with practice.

David

Re: Re(2): Coker Mount

Roger wrote:
> The only person I have ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount is
> Sarah and I don’t know how she does it.

I’ve done it Roger - on your Coker actually, when I rode it round the gym at BJC
in Durham, and on Sarah’s when I borrowed it at BMW2. I can probably do it 2
times out of 5, and I haven’t done much Cokering. It’s quite a bit harder than
on a smaller wheel, but OTOH I’d imagine that it’s easier than a side mount,
which is the only other mount that I can do well (although I haven’t tried it on
a Coker, somehow I think now I’m going to have to).


Danny Colyer (remove your.mind to reply)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/danny.html “The secret of life is
honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made” -
Groucho Marx

Re: Re(2): Coker Mount

The “rocking back mount” is the only way i’ve ever mounted the Coker
myself…i’m not really proficient at any other mounts, so i worked until i
could do it on the Coker. Took a couple of days to get to the point where i
could do it on the first try, and still takes two or three tries when i’m tired
or on an uphill…the first few days with shorter cranks were also rough…

Chuck

“Danny Colyer” <danny@speedy5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:99qt3i$3vb$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk
> Roger wrote:
> > The only person I have ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount
> > is Sarah and I don’t know how she does
it.
>
> I’ve done it Roger - on your Coker actually, when I rode it round the gym
at
> BJC in Durham, and on Sarah’s when I borrowed it at BMW2. I can probably
do
> it 2 times out of 5, and I haven’t done much Cokering. It’s quite a bit harder
> than on a smaller wheel, but OTOH I’d imagine that it’s easier than
a
> side mount, which is the only other mount that I can do well (although I
> haven’t tried it on a Coker, somehow I think now I’m going to have to).
>
> –
> Danny Colyer (remove your.mind to reply)
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/danny.html "The secret of life is
> honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made" -
> Groucho Marx
>
>
>
>
>
>

Re: Coker Mount

Nycjoe@aol.com wrote:

> Figure out where the pedal should be for your mounting foot. Then take a step
> or two back. Then walk forward and jump up onto the Coker.

This is similar to how I mount mine, except that I don’t move back that far. I
start with the pedals almost horizontal and give it a little forward push as I
hop up onto the seat, so it’s moving forward slightly as you sit down.

This worked great until I went to shorter cranks. At that point, I had a lot of
trouble mounting and had to start grabbing the tire as Gilby suggested,
especially when tired. I finally decided I liked the original crank length
better and am going back to the 150mms.

Greg

Re: Coker Mount

Roger <Roger@unicycle.uk.com> wrote:
> The only person I have ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount
> is Sarah and I don’t know how she does it.

I do it because I’ve never learnt not to.

sarah

Euro-cycle 2001 20 - 22 July Plymouth UK A european unicycle convention
http://www.eurocycle.org

Re: Re(2): Coker Mount

David Stone <dstone@packer.edu> wrote:
> I am 5’9", so height is not a big factor.

Absoluty, I’m shorter than you and havn’t been riding twenty years.I’ve always
done rock back mounts on all my unis ( except the mini giraffe but that has a
two:one ratio ) and have to really TRY to do any other mount.

sarah

Euro-cycle 2001 20 - 22 July Plymouth UK A european unicycle convention
http://www.eurocycle.org

Re: Coker Mount

Greetings

In message “Re: Coker Mount”, Sarah Miller wrote…
>Roger <Roger@unicycle.uk.com> wrote:
>> The only person I have ever seen mounting a Coker with a rocking back mount
>> is Sarah and I don’t know how she does it.
>
>I do it because I’ve never learnt not to.

When I first learned that Sarah mounts this way at Unicon X, I was surprised.
Though on a standard uni it is easier, I beieve, and I think most will agree,
that on a big weel it is easier to do the rolling (jump) mount.

I wonder what happened to the plans for an upgraded Coker. I am eager to buy
one.

Stay on top, Jack Halpern, IUF Vice President Website: http://www.kanji.org

Re(2): upgraded Coker

jack@kanji.org writes: <snip>
>
>I wonder what happened to the plans for an upgraded Coker. I am eager
>to buy one.
I heard that they’re going to be in the $800-900 range. Anyone else hear this?
Seems excessive; just buy three of the regular ones!

Also, I highly recommend an air seat from Unicycle.com

David

Re: Re(2): upgraded Coker

Greetings

In message “Re(2): upgraded Coker”, David Stone wrote…
>jack@kanji.org writes: <snip>
>>
>>I wonder what happened to the plans for an upgraded Coker. I am eager to
>>buy one.
>I heard that they’re going to be in the $800-900 range. Anyone else hear this?
>Seems excessive; just buy three of the regular ones!

So are they available? I am considering buying one of they are/

>Also, I highly recommend an air seat from Unicycle.com
>
>David
>
>

Regards, Jack Halpern President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48e$B!]e(B473e$B!]e(B3508

Re: Coker Mount - pictures:

I agree with most of the advice already given, but one has to take these
opportunities for shameless website plugs, description & pictures @:

http://members.tripod.com/~unicycling/coker.HTM

S i m o n

----------------------------±--------------------------
|
Simon Greenway | I.O.U O
I.O.U@mindless.com | | Romsey, Hampshire, UK. | Idiots On Unicycles #/
| http://come.to/muni o
----------------------------±--------------------------
cheese, wine & unicycle evening to come
----------------------------±--------------------------