coker cranks???

Hey Guys,

I’m about to get my first coker and I don’t know what size of cranks to get. I know you should get bigger ones for steeper areas, but I would still like to know what you guys prefer. :slight_smile:

The stock 150’s are a good size to start with. They’re long enough that you have enough control to be able to learn to ride the Coker and do it with some control. It would not be advisable to immediately go to short cranks (125’s or even shorter) before getting very comfortable with the 150’s.

What is the terrain where you live? That’s the big factor in determining what size cranks you’re likely to gravitate towards.

I’m not a member of the short Coker crank crowd. The shortest cranks I’ve tried on the Coker are 140’s. That’s short enough for me. I don’t like the effort required to climb with shorter cranks. I live in the Seattle area so I have to deal with hills. There are some hills on my regular riding routes that I barely make it up with the 140’s. I’m not going to go shorter if it means I’m not going to make it up some hills. I’ve also gone with 170’s over the Winter here. The 170’s are overkill for the hills I’ve got, but they are very good for teaching you how to spin more smoothly. The 170’s are nice for rides that involve big long climbs (for example 6 miles of climbing at 8%+ grade).

I agree with John, start with the 150s.

Where I live, my rides involve some pavement, some dirt roads, some single-track dirt trails, sandy beaches of a lake, grass, and really technical downhill coker-muni. The stock 150s have been a great middle-ground for everything. Some of the steep downhill I ride would be very very tough without my V-Brake. So keep that in mind, too.

Also: I asked the same question before I bought my Coker, and my answer was 150-140s.

Later,

Jess

Ok, thanks you guys. I’ll go with the 150’s.

I stuck with the supplied 150mm cranks for maybe 2 years. Since then I have tried 170, 125, 110 and 102 mm. The transition from 150 to 125 initially seems huge, but not too difficult to get used to if you stick with it for a while.

Ultimately, you will need the correct length of cranks for your skill/confidence level on the gradients and road/trail surfaces you want to ride. You need to spend some time getting used to riding your Coker on a variety of terrains, then decide if you want to try shorter (or even longer) cranks.

Around where I live I find 125s are the best all-round compromise - gently rolling country lanes with some farm track, bridleway, disused railway and canal towpath. On the long but gentle gradients of the Manchester to Blackpool ride 110s were right for me, but on the more severe Cotswold gradients of the Birmingham to Oxford ride I struggled with 110s and wished I had up-sized to 125s at least. I will be training for the Red Bull 24hr off-road event on 170s, and if the conditions are dryer than last year, that is what I would expect to use for the event.

Basically, horses for courses. Don’t assume that what is right for others is also right for you. Cranks are cheap and readily available in many lengths so, when you are comfortable with riding your Coker with the stock 150s, it is worth buying a few sets of differing lengths and trying them out.

Chris