Coker/26 MUni comparison

I had a fright the other night (I’m a poet and didn’t know it!) - Joe Rowing told me that all my practice on the Coker may be in vain because if it rains, we’ll all be on MUnis for the Blue Nun Mountain Mayhem.

So I thought it couldn’t hurt to take the MUni out to see if it still works. It has sort of languished for the last few months.

The MUni is a Pashley 26, which has a Reynolds frame - lightweight alloy, but lots of it - an alloy wheel, a 1.95 Michelin Wildgrabber tyre, 150mm cranks (the originals off the Pashley, as it happens!), pinned pedals and… new for 2003… a Wilder handle, as yet virtually untested.

(And yes, I know steel is an alloy too, but I’m adopting colloquial convention rather than metallurgical precision.)

How do they compare? I’ll try to be fair (more impromptu poetry!) but bear in mind that my opinions might not apply if you are taller than 5’7", heavier than 145 pounds, younger than 40, or better than mediocre at MUni. I claim experience and determination, but not skill or technique!

First: transport. The MUni is noticeably lighter and smaller than the Coker, although I have to say the Pashley feels waaay heavier than all of my other unis. It’s easier to carry, and to put in the car. It takes up less space. MUni wins.

Mounting. I can mount the Coker nearly 100% of the time except if terrain and fatigue conspire against me. The 26 is just that bit easier. I can’t say the handle helps, but it doesn’t hinder. A draw.

Riding on tarmac. This is NOT what the MUni is for, and the Michelin Wildgrabber tyre is 'orrible. The original tyre was 'orrible too. The knobbles sort of fold over to one side and the uni advances crabwise down the road. The Coker tyre, on the other hand, is a triumph of scientific design. (Note for US readers: this is irony.) Be that as it may, the MUni is horrible to ride on the tarmac, whereas the Coker just buzzes along. Coker wins big time.

On grass and general ‘not road’: the MUni tyre becomes less of a problem. The Coker sails over rough ground. The MUni needs more concentration. If there are no substantial hills, the Coker is lots easier on rough ground. Coker wins by a nose.

Up hill: the Coker is surprisingly good. The MUni has lower gearing, but the result is that the action is less smooth. On the whole, the MUni will go up steeper hills. It’s not a simple comparison, and a rough surface negates some of the MUni’s advantage, because the Coker is less sensitive to small bumps. MUni wins by a nose.

Down hill: the MUni wins hands down. I am, let’s face it, not an Aardvark. Plummeting is not my forte. I am a hero with coward’s legs. It’s easier to control the MUni, and it’s not so far to fall. I had one nasty little fall today, knocked my elbow but no major damage. I have never attempted the ‘guilty’ obstacle on the Coker. MUni wins hands down.

The handle is a big help on descents. I might fit one to the Coker.

Speed: it’s not a straight comparison of 26 and 36 inches. The Coker is lots and lots and lots faster. It’s smoother, so I can maintain a higher cadence. With a smoother tyre on the 26, I could hit a higher cadence for short periods (I guess) but for sustained speed, the Coker wins every time.

General comparison: I had a few UPDs on the MUni where I “know” I would not have fallen from the Coker. Conversely, I succeeded on a few sections I would not have attempted on the Coker. It is not possible to say that either is ‘more capable’ off road. The Coker’s strong points are speed, momentum, smoothness; the MUni can sometimes grind out a success where the Coker runs out of steam. (I think that’s a mixed metaphor, but what the heck?)

For general riding, I’d say the Coker wins by a long long way, but this is mainly because of the tyre. With a suitable tyre which doesn’t ‘crab’, and with shorter cranks, a 26 would be more versatile. As it is, the MUni is reserved as an exclusively off road machine. Slooooow, but determined.

Smiles per pound? Whether it’s pounds weight or Sterling, the Coker wins.

Re: Coker/26 MUni comparison

In article <Mikefule.o5l3m@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Mikefule <Mikefule.o5l3m@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)General comparison: I had a few UPDs on the MUni where I “know” I would
)not have fallen from the Coker. Conversely, I succeeded on a few
)sections I would not have attempted on the Coker. It is not possible to
)say that either is ‘more capable’ off road. The Coker’s strong points
)are speed, momentum, smoothness; the MUni can sometimes grind out a
)success where the Coker runs out of steam. (I think that’s a mixed
)metaphor, but what the heck?)
)
)For general riding, I’d say the Coker wins by a long long way, but this
)is mainly because of the tyre. With a suitable tyre which doesn’t
)‘crab’, and with shorter cranks, a 26 would be more versatile. As it
)is, the MUni is reserved as an exclusively off road machine. Slooooow,
)but determined.

I have some impressions of 29er vs. Coker strengths after riding with
a bunch of Cokerheads at 24 Hours of Adrenaline. For a comparison,
Nathan Hoover turned in a time on his first lap around 1:23, while I
came in at 1:33 including a 3-minute detour (oh, we were supposed to go
up the stairs?) Now, Nathan is going to be faster than me no matter
what unis we’re using, so 7-8 minutes back means the two unis are probably
not far off in terms of overall capabilities. Carl Hoyer rode a 29er and
turned in times similar to Nathan’s until he tweaked his knee.

On the first section of the course, which was mostly pitted and rutted
singletrack, and largely uphill, the 29er was pretty unhappy. My impression
is that the Cokers were able to float over a lot of the trail imperfections,
and thus ride a lot more with less effort. The 29er got bounced all over
the place and had to be fought most of the way. I wound up walking most
of it during my night lap.

On the second section, which was smooth fire road, the 29er did fine; almost
certainly not as good as the Cokers, but generating quite good speed, probably
not far off the Coker pace.

On the third section, which was downhill, wide singletrack, I think the
29er probably had noticable advantages, especially at night; it’s better
at rolling over bumps when you’re going downhill, and it’s a lot easier
to choose lines and adjust your wheel position when necessary.

On the final section, which was a significant climb on fire roads, steep
in parts, I think the 29er made up the time it lost on the first section.
The lighter weight and lower gearing put the 29er on a par with many of
the bikes, where the Coker must have had more of a struggle. Everyone
reported passing at least one or two bikes on that section, but on my
daytime lap I passed at least a dozen on the 29er.
-Tom

My recent practice times for a 4 mile lunchtime training ride :

Ground bumpy/grassy fairly level field (sucks the energy out of your legs)

Effort 70/80 percent (one step up from cruising)

Coker / 150mm cranks 22" 35
29er / 140mm cranks 22" 55
26x3 / 145mm cranks 24" 45

Leo White

With a brake on the downhills the Coker becomes a purring little kitten. But you have to have a rim suitable for braking.

On cramped, twisty single track with lots of obstacles and low hanging branches, the 26 wins hands down, IMHO. For more open, smoother trail, the Coker comes into its own.

But yes, the tire needs revision for off-road.

Re: Coker/26 MUni comparison

Mike,
Before you dismiss your 26" try it with a bigger tyre - at least 2.3".

I recommend a Tioga DH 2.3 (rear) - you should be able to pick one up for just over 10 ukp mailorder.

Leo White