clipless

I know there is prob a thread somewhere,but does anyone or has any tried clipless pedals,Im thinking bout trying it,i remember on my mt bike that i hated them at first,but now i cant ride without them?So is this a crazy idea clipless peds on a uni,I mostly ride singletrack/cross country
Thanks

I’d be really worried about UPDs. If you go down and don’t have time to release the shoes (which seems like it could happen extremely easily considering you go down in less than a second) you could have a super nasty fall and easily a trip to the hospital.
Now that I think about it, it seems nearly impossible to recover in a UPD because the first reaction is to get your feet out and clear the uni but now you have to add the extra step of unclipping your shoes which takes time.
I have never used clipless shoes (don’t b*ke at all) so my thoughts might not be accurate but they seem super scary to me.

Some uni riders have used clipless successfully I’m pretty sure. Not sure if they rode Muni or pavement, but I know it’s been done.

If you do a search you’ll find some good stuff on it.

I’m working up the nerve to try clipless again, I first tried back when I was still learning the ropes and it was “wierd”. One of the things you lose with clipless is the friction between the shoe and pedal, so it takes time to adjust to “float”.

Bungeejoe is a clipless rider, look for his informative posts, he kills it on clipless both on and off road.

I’m looking at Time platform clipless pedals, which have a wide platform and aggressive spikes that’ll give me some support in case my clipless plan goes awry :roll_eyes:

Yup Joseph Myers and Scott Wilton ride clipped in to great effect.

Here is Joseph down some pretty serious climbing on a 36 with 110 cranks clipped in:

For me being clipped in would be a recipe for a broken nose, I am just not that brave!!!

A few weeks ago I tried to out clipless pdals on one of my unicycles. It was a very weird and interesting experience. It was the first time I had tried clipless pedals on anything. I was able to clip in on my first try , and I pedaled around for a few minutes/ several miles. It went great until I went for the dismount, at which point I stalled out and feel on my tailbone and my right wrist. I was unable to ride for several days and my right arm was sore and fairly useless as well. I will try it again at some point, but I willl need to work up the nerve again.

For the record, I was using Crank Brothers Mallet 3 pedals, which are platform/ clipless pedals, which seemed like a good place to start due to the large platform.

I’ve been riding clipless for about a year and a half. I started with Shimano SPD spedals with multi release cleats. I then switched to Crank Brothers Candy pedals after riding the Shimano’s for about four months. I switched because when I mount and approach traffic stops I wanted a bigger platform to stand on when un clipped. I currently have the older model Crank Brothers Mallet 2. They have a much bigger platform than the Candies. The newer Mallets have a smaller platform also.
I ride a Schlumpf 36er for my commute. 95 percent road riding. I have had a few nasty falls though. After riding clipped in for so long I feel like riding is easier clipped in. You have to concentrate a little more but I certainly feel it is worth clipping in. I have had a few bad shifts saved by being clipped in.

I just made the plunge :astonished:

Pearl Izumi X Alp Elite shoes
Time Z Strong pedals

I rode clipless pedals on road and mountain bikes for twenty years, since they first came out, so they’ll be familiar; I hope.

I went with a platform so I’d have more support under the soft shoe sole (X Alps are designed for hike and bike) and for when I am unclipped.

I have some clipless shoes, a couple pair, but they are stiff and don’t have much in terms of a rubber sole, they are carbon fiber so hard and slick.

My wife says it’s just plan dumb, so whatever happens I’ll just blame it on Bungeejoe!

I think clipless would make me a lot better rider, until it comes time to dismount in a hurry. I would love to be able to pull up on the pedals, and to not worry about keeping my feet where I want them. But I’m scared to try it, at least until I get a lot better.

My fifteen years riding clipless on mtb’s made me really good at getting out of them in the normal situations, but I had some really hard landings when I couldn’t get out fast enough in “not-normal” crashes - I landed on my butt really hard a few times when I overshot riding a wheelie and couldn’t get clipped out, and my worst crash ever was doing a trials-type balance beam up in the air, clipped in. I reflexively did my usual hop-to-safety that works great on the platform pedals, and went nowhere. Bike and I crashed down, did something bad to my shoulder, tore something in the groin that hasn’t completely healed 5 years later, and taco’d my rear wheel to boot.

Anyway, I have a feeling that I wouldn’t get out in time in the usual run-it-out UPD, and I already know that I’m not good getting out when I’m going backwards onto my butt. So I’m not going to do it.

Hopefully Ben survives to tell about it!

Easy as Pie!!!

This is how Bungeejoe does it. I watch him do it ALL the time.

Unicycle - Clipless SPD Mounting a Coker

Lanaboos

2 Likes

hi

Can you ride clipless pedals with normal shoes?
Collecting a road bike with clipless pedals, wondering if it’s possible to cycle with those pedals with normal shoes for the ride back (will be changing to normal pedals after) or not.
Cheers.

Yup. It’s not comfy or something you’d ever do out of choice, but as long as your normal shoes have a bit of grip then you can ride a bike with clipless pedals OK.

You can also get a platform that clips onto the clipless pedal OR a combo pedal with one side clipless and one side platform.

Clipless pedals tend to be slippery, esp when wet, so you really need to ride with cleats unless you are just going a short distance on flats in good weather.

Even the platform clipless likes the Time Z Strong are still slippery as the “wires” sit up higher than the platform spikes. A really soft shoe would fold over the wires and grab the spikes a little more than say a hard soled shoe.

I used to ride the Shimano DH pedals with aluminum cage, they were nice and supportive for my cleated shoes, but not really rideable without cleats as the clipless mechanism on Shimano pedals are wide and sit really “high”.

After watching Joe’s video it occured to me that another wierd aspect of clipless uni is the foot position on the pedal being ball of foot vs mid foot. I tend to move my foot forward and back, so it looks like I’ll need to pick a position and stick with it :roll_eyes:

I don’t think I will ever have the guts to try them on a uni. If you UPD’d and one foot didn’t release that could be a major problem (easier to do than on a bike since there isn’t anything to twist against w/ one foot in).

There are three or four riders I’ve heard of who successfully converted to clipless, all on SPDs.

I think Bunjeejoe only rides them on his road uni.

Soon after I started uni I read about a trials rider who got used to them on his bike for a few weeks. Practiced on the uni in his driveway for a couple of days, then easy trials for a month, @ the lightest release tension. He then raised the tension and when he got used to it he said he had more control and could hop higher because he could pull the uni up w/ the pedals.

A few years ago a rider here did a similar process for his Muni. After his first couple of Muni rides he felt completely comfortable and never UPD’d clipped in. He used pedals like these. Be aware that the clipless side is usually heavier and tends to fall to the under side.

Also SPD makes a “easy release cleat” basically allows them to release by pulling up on the pedal.

Having ridden clipless on bikes for >20 years, the answer is that eventually separating your feet from the pedals becomes instinctive - I can’t remember the last time I was still clipped in after a crash on a bike. Not that I’m about to try on a uni any time yet - I reckon I need way more than 1 year’s experience of riding a uni for that - but I’m sure that the first reaction would become releasing from the SPDs rather than just lifting your feet off the pedals. Though I can certainly see the merits of multi-release cleats for early attempts (they release if pulled in pretty much any direction, so it would be really hard to stay clipped in when you don’t want to).

I also ride muni and cyclocross clipless.

I don’t use platform pedals. Why do you think you need a platform when your clipless?

This picture is at the start of the Bavarian Bike and Brew xc race. I finished ahead of some of the mountain bikers.

2 Likes

Clipless pedals on a Uni? That’s like cheating in my book! Anyway, I have absolutely no desire to ever try this. I never used clipless on my Mountain Bike either.

I’m going to be using a relative soft soled shoe, that way it flexes over the cleat so I still get some sole-pedal friction.

Keep in mind that I am used to frictioning when I ride, so “float” feels wierd to me right now, some friction will help me feel more comfortable and I’ll adjust easier.

In time I might go to a stiff soled shoe and a smaller platform, though I tend to prefer platform clipless on bikes, I rode them for the past two decades, I like how they allow unclipped “dabbing”.

This weekend is going to be so exciting!

It’s my anniversary and surprise, surprise, she still likes me :roll_eyes:
The 32" wheel should be ready to ride :smiley:
And I am going to go kill myself trying to unicycle with clipless pedals :astonished:

I have two strong memories of crashing clipped in, one was a powerslide where I washed out at speed on gravel and didn’t have time to unclip. If I had been on platforms there’s a chance I could have dabbed a foot and prevented extensive road rash. The other one was just before I switched from bikes to unis, I high sided a rock, stalled, then tipped over and fell head/shoulder first off the hill. I was still in my clips lying upside down. In this case I probably could have bailed and landed upright.

well that would be a shame given

:wink:

This spring in the Echo Red 2 Red I landed face first clipped in once. Both legs locked up in charlie-horses at the same time about six miles from the finish in a soft section of new trail. Had a terrible time getting up to stretch them out. Eventually remounted and finished the ride.

Pics: muni clipless last January…

IMG_1241-s.jpg

IMG_1245-s.jpg

2 Likes