Climbing a 32% grade!

You’re on, but I’ll try the 24" first. I will film it with no cuts or edits. :slight_smile:

Just got back from “The Hill”! Fargo street (at Allesandro) in Los Angeles is one of the steepest in the US at a lung busting 33% grade, and all I can say is OMFG!!! When I first laid eyes on it I finally knew the true meaning of “intimidating”! :astonished:

Did I make it? Video will tell all. Stay tuned!
This street pic doesn’t even come close to showing its true steepness, so have another look at the graph below,
and notice that 33% grade is second from the top line.

That graph is visually misleading, due to scale problems. A 33.33% grade should rise one unit for every three units horizontal, but the line you refer to is much steeper than that. On my screen the horizontal is 15cm long and the 33.33% line rises 8.5cm. It should only rise 5cm. So…visually misleading. The 20% line on that graph comes closest to a true depiction of the slope…still quite intimidating!

(I’m not trying to diminish the scale of your achievement, just nitpicking about the graphics)

Haha, it’s still 33% and one of the steepest hills in the entire US. I was floored when I first saw it and thought it would be impossible, but I’m a stubborn s.o.b. when I put my mind to something, lol. :o

This was far & away the most challenging thing I’ve ever attempted on a uni, and would love to have an annual uni-meet there to see how many people could conquer this mind bogglingly steep monster! They already have a yearly bicycle challenge there. :smiley:

Video is almost ready and will post soon. I think the only thing that got me to the top was sheer will power! I can’t wait to go back and do it again. What an incredible workout, and I can see now why so many top athletes come here for training! Definitely not for the timid, and this hill will humble you quick! :smiley:

Want to see the video!

Here ya go! I was the only person there, and so I filmed it static from the bottom of the hill, shooting up. I had to turn the camera sideways to fit the whole hill into frame, then flip it 90 in editing, so the resulting video aspect is pretty narrow.

After a while it’s hard to still see me as I get up near the top, but I finally made it all the way! I did have a couple “dabs” while zig-zagging, but got right back on. This was the most challenging, gut-busting thing I’ve ever tried on a uni, and I’m pretty proud that I did it! I will go back again and next time try to bring at least one other person to film it track me while I ride. :smiley:

You never cease to amaze me you geezer. Ride on!

Is it a plane? Is it a comet? No, it’s Unigeezer!

Terry is…UNIGEEZER the Super hero

Haha, Is that a Hunter or 36er nimbus frame? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sorry but that picture is not right. It overestimates the steepness bij roughly a factor of two. Bring out a rule or a graded circle (don’t know the English word for that) and measure it yourself.

The runner in the YouTube vid mentions the steepness as 33 degrees. That’s a lot more than 33 percent - I think the latter is correct. We gotta be careful when expressing slopes in numbers!

Having said all that, it still looks very steep. Terry you would be an ANIMAL if you could do that on a Coker like you say in your first post in this thread. (Not sure what species of animal though, I’ve never seen an animal ride a Coker, let alone on such a steep hill.)

Good job Terry! Would love to try it next time I come to LA…in November…if I bring my MUni… How long did it take you?

This would be a great uphill race for NAUCC or Unicon!

That looks like a ton of fun, especially to GLIDE!!!

Thanks Jamey! You were actually inspiration to do it since you are the “KING of the Climb”! :smiley: I’m going back with local rider, who had actually emailed recently about finding some good hills to climb. I found out about this one, which just happened to be just about the steepest there is! I’m adding it to my weekly rides!

If you tried to glide down that hill you’d burn a hole in the sole of your shoe so fast you’d catch fire! :astonished: I can only tell ya that coming back down I had my maggie 80% full on!

You know that supersteep hill I said I rode up in my first post in this thread?

I glided down it, too. You know, the 10 foot long hill :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ball out Terry … gaaaa…
I am gonna train up for something not even near that steep.:stuck_out_tongue:
You, UniGeezer, are a freak of nature.
Respectfully,
Shug

haha! Thanks Sean, yeah I’ve become Fargo Fanatic!

There appears to be TONS of videos of people attempting to climb Fargo street on bikes…but on a segway??? In any case, it gives a pretty good view of the monster hill!

:slight_smile:
That’s something I’ve not tried on a unicycle. There are a few 1:3 road hills near here (north coast of Cornwall around Widemouth Bay near Bude). I’ve done them a few times on bikes (not really hard on a touring bike with nice low gears). I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

There’s a hill on my usual unicycle commute route that varies between 1:6 and 1:5 for half a mile, and that’s not too bad on the coker with 145s (and I have done it on 125s but that length really doesn’t suit me so I rarely use them). It’s very easy on the 26" muni with 150s.

I’ve got to go over Bude direction next weekend, so perhaps I’ll take the coker and give the hills a go. If I do I’ll report back and let you know if I made it…

Rob

Edit: I’ll take the muni as well in case I can’t make it on the 36!

Did you not make it without “chemical assistance” then? :wink:

Terry - I guess you didn’t take my bets?

Cool that you almost made it! That hill looks like quite a testpiece!