Clicking Pedals

Hmmm my left pedal seem to be making a Loud Clicking sound it also doesn’t spin very well… they are metal platform pedals but are only $8

:angry: :frowning: :frowning:

Sounds like the bearing has gone. Uni Pedals can take quite a beating (depending on how you ride) so cheap ones don’t tend to last too long.

With better quality pedals you can replace the bearings so they can end up cheaper in the long run. You might be able to replace the bearings on your pedals if you really want.

few… i though that the spindal might be broken… i just didn’t want the cage flying off on a drop then having the spindal tear open my leg

the lock washer and nut may be poorly adjusted?

…???

I assume there is a cap or someting on the end, oppisite the spindle? if so, take the cap off and there is a 12mm hex, then a washer with a slot to keep it from turning, then a cone that holds the bearings in place. if you remove the 12mm and the washer, the cone can be adjusted to possibly give you a better riding pedals, and reduce wear.

hmmm the cap is tapered on or something…

A pedal with bearings that bind and/or grind may just need adjustment. The fastest way to have the procedure explained to you is to go to your local bike shop and ask them to show you how to go about it. The process is simple, requires only a few common tools, and can be done correctly in only a couple of iterations. Having someone show you is much clearer in this case than having it explained in text here. Maybe Shelton Brown has photodocumented the procedure.

I’m sorry. It’s Sheldon Brown, not Shelton.

Re: Clicking Pedals

Unispin wrote:
>
> Hmmm my left pedal seem to be making a Loud Clicking sound it also
> doesn’t spin very well… they are metal platform pedals but are only
> $8

Pedals are a good place to spend money.

I’ve ruined two pairs of pedals this summer (plastic and metal platform
pin). My advice is to save some money and buy a pair of pedals with
‘sealed bearings’. It seems to really keep out dirt and water. I paid
$35.00 USD for my sealed Mosh pin pedals and they’re real nice. By
contrast, I paid $25.00 USD for a pair Odyssey Southgate BMX pedals and