choosing a kids unicycle

The Torker LX is a nice entry unicycle. (The club unicycle is also fine.) If you get one unicycle you will have to share. The seat post is 25.4 mm, so be sure to get the correct diameter. I have a quick release seat post clamp on my “learner” unicycle. That allows you to adjust seat hight and switch seats easily. Here is an inexpensive version:

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/seat-posts-and-components/clamps-and-accessories/nimbus-quick-release-seatpost-clamp.html

If you get yourself another seat, get a nice one–probably one of the Nimbus versions as a minimum. One of the main complaints with beginning unicyclist is that the seats are uncomfortable. Kids are small and do not weigh much, so let them suffer with the Torker seat. :slight_smile:

If you go through unicycle.com, give them a call and talk it over. They generally know what they are doing and can advise you.

Scott

Just measured the torker lx 20 in my basement. If you are careful not cut the seatpost any shorter than you have to you should be okay without buying a second one. (I’ve got about the same inseam as you, I can ride it comfortably and set it low enough for a 24.5 inch inseam).

Resurrecting this thread again…

My 9 year old is doing great on the Torker 20" and wants to start doing Muni with me. I think a 24" is still too big. Would you all recommend a 19" fat tire trials uni for him or something else?

Thanks

That would be perfect and you could use it as well. Just a bonus.

There are also kids Munis with 20" rims

They ride a little bit faster than the 19" ones. Or you take just a normal 20" like the Nimbus II and try to find a decent tire to put on. But frame width and rim width might limit you. The other possibility would be to take a very light 24" and cut down seatpost and frame.

Maybe not for muni, but imagine if someone made a 24" version of the nightfox.

UDC used to sell a trials unicycle marketed as a children’s muni. (They may still, I just wasn’t able to find it today). I’ve personally seen people do some awesome off-road stuff on a trials uni, and even though I have a muni myself, I sometime enjoy my 19" trials off road as it’s lighter, and some things are just easier to hop on or over. It just depends on the situation. It’s also easier climbing hills as the ratio between crank size and wheel size is more favorable. It will probably be a little slower than your muni, but so what? I think it’s a great idea.

It also depends on your son´s size. My daughter is 8 and riding Muni on a 24. She tried on a 19 before, however she prefers the 24 as it rolls better over obstacles and all others in the group are also riding 24 or bigger. Her height is about 140 cm.

Mad4one brings out a Kid’s Muni … 20x4" with disc brake! Yeehaaaa!

https://www.facebook.com/monociclo/posts/10211022021519950

Yes I just saw the MadforOne kids muni. Really cool… Might want a lighter trials uni though. Weight will be the factor probably