Chilly Hilly 2006 --- John Childs and Tyler Cox

Yea, I was constantly sipping my 2 litre Camelbak, so I had to wee a LOT… :stuck_out_tongue:
As I said to John, “I’ve got a wee problem…”

Nice ride Tyler and JC, good to see the young and not so young enjoying the ride together. Great accomplisment Tyler!

Re: Chilly Hilly 2006 — John Childs and Tyler Cox

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:12:47 -0600, Wheel Rider wrote:

>Know any
>good lawyers?

His dad.

Well done Tyler (and JC too), really impressive stuff. I am still trying to work up to my 10 mile goal. I’m starting to guess I ought to be looking at a bigger wheel size thought, 20" isn’t going to be enough! I must ask JC, is the ‘arm’ on the coker standard or home designed? Sorry, if this is a daft question I haven’t seen a coker before, being a newbie. :o

Nice ride, guys! Tyler, you certainly don’t have anything to apologize for now!

I rode a 29er with 150s in hilly country this past summer; somewhere between 850-1000 miles worth, and it took a long time for my average to get over 7 mph. Of course, I have heavier legs (even when in shape), and weigh probably twice what Tyler does, and that makes a difference for both hill climbing and average cadence. I imagine that, with another 2000 miles, I would have been averaging about 8 - 8.5 mph over, say, 500 miles a month. But I didn’t get that far… (that time :wink: ).

I can comfortably ride a Coker with the post cut all the way down.

At some events parts of the course close at certain times, based on the cutoff. If it’s a road based event, this may mean they let traffic back on. In the London marathon they unofficially let people finish anyway, it may be different in the US because you’re more into suing each other, so events might be worried about letting people carry on after the event finish.

It’s possible to have a proper average (including breaks) of 10mph+ for that kind of distance on a 29er. I can do that. It’s hard though. It’s relatively easy (much more so) to keep up 10mph on a coker for that distance, I’ve averaged 10mph including breaks for 100 miles on the coker, and the first 40 miles or so weren’t hard at all. I use short (110) cranks on the coker for most road riding, as it’s just so much more relaxing than long cranks.

I’ve considered the question of whether I could beat all the runners in a marathon before. There are a few riders who definately could, Ken Looi, Roger Davies etc. but I don’t think I could quite do it, the running record is something like 2:04 now, which is about 15mph average. It’d be cool to beat the running world record on a unicycle over the same course. I think I’d come in a bit under 2:30.

Joe

is jonathon jamieson on this forum

Good ride.
Good pics.
Good write-up.

Good job gentlemen.

The arm is home designed. I call it the JC Coker Handle. There are pictures and links to a couple threads about it in my Miscellaneous Stuff gallery. The handle design is mostly something for me to experiment with. It’s not as useful as I initially thought it would be. But I do like it and it makes it possible to see the cycle computer while riding. Most of the time I use the handle that is on the seat and don’t really use the handle on the extension.

Thanks! I will have a good look at the link when my home computar is up again… viewing at work with the boss walking a round … is not good for the nerves! Sackable offence…:frowning: cheers:D

Yo, Tyler Cox: Tyler Cox and Jenna Tate came across tis thread and now want to hook up with you.