chaffing, and gettting started!

i just got a uni, so much fun!i can ride bout 50 metres at da mo on my own which impleased bout, had it bout a week!but im suffering really badly with chaffing on insides of thighs from seat!any tips?what am i doing wrong or do i need new seat?
also i cant get started with out having something to hold onto, at the moment i start with a gate behind me, and hold that then pedal off, but i wanna be able to ride it anywhere!
any advice would be great!thanx

Good to hear. Check out www.unicycle.2ya.com for some tips on freemounting (getting on without holding anything) and lots of other things. Try wearing bike pants for less chaffing.

Andrew

Or if you don’t wanna spend money on bike pants: just ride with it. It’s no where near as bad as the pains you’ll experience if you go into the extreme section of unicycling.

bike shorts are pretty essential for unicycling.

Also, with bike shorts, try lubricants, like Chamois Butt`r, butt:D beware, some of them contain menthol, a chilling :astonished: experience.

Chafing

I’m glad to see the subject discussed. I’m fairly new to the sport and have the same problem. I have 28" uni and did 5.1 miles on it about a week ago. Despite wearing bike shorts, my inner thighs were rubbed raw. I’m planning on doing ten miles tonight. In preparation I’ve put several rows of electrical tape on the sharp under edge of my seat, I’m going to wear thigh-length wicking underwear and bike shorts with additional nylon outer shorts. Even so, the forecast in the Hartford, CT area is high 80’s and high humidity. Think I’ll take the cell phone…

Pat

Something that might help you is buy a new seat. I reccomend the KH saddle. I have one and i never get problems with discomfort and whatnot. Bike shorts along with the KH saddle will leave you fealing comfortable.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the prompt response. The KH looks much more comfortable than what I’m riding now.

Pat.

Re: Thanks!!

If your current saddle looks anything like the Savage saddle then it’s no wonder your inner thighs are getting rubbed raw. It’s a bad bad saddle for many reasons. Inner thigh rubbing is just one of them. Those saddles can actually cut your skin if the metal base in the seat gets exposed due to a crash or the fabric cover wearing out.

A KH saddle, Torker DX saddle, or Torker LX saddle will be much more comfortable. If you’re doing 5 mile rides you need a good saddle. The Viscount saddle also has a very comfortable shape but its padding is a bit too firm to make it really comfortable for long rides (although some people do use and like the Viscount for long rides). The KH, Torker, or Viscount saddles will minimize the inner thigh rubbing, probably to the point that you won’t notice it any more.

If you change saddles you may also have to change the seatpost. Different saddles use a different bolt pattern to attach the saddle to the seatpost. If you get another saddle that has a different bolt pattern then you’ll need a new seatpost to match.

If you are leaning towards a new saddle, the KH is definatly the way to go. I just got a KH-24 with the KH saddle and its unbelievably comfortable. Also, www.unicycle.2ya.com is a great site for learning how to freemount. I was having trouble with freemounting, but the site helped me out a lot, and in about 15 minutes I could freemount.

Jason

Re: chaffing, and gettting started!

“john_childs” <john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> A ‘KH saddle’[…], ‘Torker DX saddle’ […], or ‘Torker LX saddle’
> […] will be much more comfortable.

Another saddle that may be worth adding to the list is the bedford air
saddle [http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca]. Its a very basic saddle
without bumper or handle (you can still grab under the base for
control), but it is comfy, light, and cheap.

Ken

Re: Thanks!!

Would you like to try one? I’m in East Hartford and have a KH, an air seat and a viscount (for a KH24, Coker, and Cyclepro). We could ride together, the weekend looks marginally better for weather and I’m planning on going to Bluff Point, Groton for some MUni.

You may also want to try a product called “Bag Balm”. Can’t remember where to get it, but I think farmers use it on cow’s udders as a soothing agent. Don’t laugh, it works! A little of that will cure you of 5 or 10 miles of uni-ing.

Go to the local grocery store and look for Vaseline Creamy in the infant goods area. It is in a yellow and white tube. Inexpensive and it works great. It is also useful to help relieve the chaffing that you already have.

East Hartford

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Brian - I’d love to take you up on the offer this weekend but I’m heading for Okemo to do some work on my condo. The air seat sounds intriguing and it would be fun to try a Coker.

I did 12.6 miles around Wethersfield last evening. The camelback ran out of water but I got some from a couple sitting out in front of their house. THe chafing wasn’t quite as bad with the long leg wicking underwear but a more comfortable seat would be a blessing.

I had to get off the uni at all the major intersections - I haven’t learned to ride in place yet. All in all, it was a major accomplishment for a senior citizen. I’m the webmaster for my ski club and I put a photo online just to do a little chest beating.

Check it out

Pat

East Hartford Wednesday?

Brian - I just remembered that I have to go to East Hartford after work tomorrow (Wednesday) to feed my daughter’s cats while she’s out of town. Then I have an 8 p.m. Ski Club meeting in New Britain. If you’re free Wednesday maybe around 6 we could get together. My daughter’s house is just off Naubuc near the Glastonbury line.

you can e-mail me.

Seat post connection

I took a look under the seat last night. The post is welded to a bracket with four holes in it. Is that compatible with the seats you folks are recommending?

The uni is a 28" Sun. I had to cut the seat post because I couldn’t reach the pedals when it was in the lowest position. It works fine now except for the chafing. I did manage to find some Bag Balm and it’s a big help but a better seat would be a much more desireable resolution.

Pat

photo of mouinting bracket

I got this photo from the ebay ad where I bought the uni. Sorry to post so many times but the system wouldn’t let me edit the last post because time had expired.

Re: chaffing, and gettting started!

“patmoore” <patmoore@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> I took a look under the seat last night. The post is welded to a
> bracket with four holes in it. Is that compatible with the seats you
> folks are recommending?

No worries, you have a standard seatpost which accepts most saddles
(but not Miyatas)

> The uni is a 28" Sun. I had to cut the seat post because I couldn’t
> reach the pedals when it was in the lowest position. It works fine now
> except for the chafing. I did manage to find some Bag Balm and it’s a
> big help but a better seat would be a much more desireable resolution.

The Sun unicycle’s saddle isn’t very comfortable, but I don’t think it
is the cause of your chafing. Put in some more miles over the next
week or two and take care to avoid excessive chafind and I bet your
thighs will adjust, allowing new forms of seat pain to come to the
fore. Getting a better seat is a good idea.

Ken

P.S.

While on the subject of upgrading, it is worth considering that
most parts on your Sun are marginal. In the long run, figure you’ll
have to replace many of the parts or just buy a better unicycle. The
wheelset is really fragile so ride carefully and don’t do hop or drop
off curbs. A decent replacement wheelset costs $150, maybe less if
you scrounge for parts and have your friendly bike shop build the
wheel, but don’t bother trying to salvage any Sun parts. The tire on
my Sun 26" tracked hard downhill, your tire might be worth replacing
right away for the same reason. Lastly, if you want to keep your
seatpost in good shape then cut off the Sun clamp and replace it with
a clamp that is actually round - the irregular shape of the Sun clamp
will crimp the frame and dent the seatpost.

“Another saddle that may be worth adding to the list is the bedford air saddle [http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca]. Its a very basic saddle without bumper or handle (you can still grab under the base for control), but it is comfy, light, and cheap.”

These seats are no good. I bought one a year ago and the rubber cover began to tear off immediately. Even with the air tube inside its not comfortable. When the air tube popped, I added foam and padding and a new air tube, but the seat is still not comfortable.

I ordered a KH seat last week and my ass can’t wait for it to come in.