century tips?

Tomorrow I’m going to do a century before work, and I’m wondering if anyone has any packing tips.

All I will have is my camel back, and a cycling jersey to store stuff.

Right now I’m thinking of taking:

Cell phone,
2L water,
10 Larabars,
1 gel,
wallet

I’m debating taking:
spare tube,
tire levers,
CO2 canisters,
crank tools

Any ideas?

O and I’m doing it before I go to work so I can stash stuff at work after if I need to. I will be pretty much in the middle of nowhere for the most of it except at the halfway point.

Are you doing a metric or imperial century?

Sorry I couldn’t be any help.:o

spare tube, - No
tire levers, - No
CO2 canisters, - No
crank tools - Yes definitely

If you are riding a 36er…you really shouldn’t get a flat, if you do it will be quite a hassle to fix so it probably isn’t worth bringing all that. Crank tools are always good to bring on a long ride though.

Tips: I have no idea what the temp is going to be but it may be good to bring a spare dry layer. I had a longsleeve lightweight underlayer that I was able to put on after 75 miles and it was amazing switching into it.

Other tips: Bananas are tasty, have a few before/during the ride. Also, don’t just eat energy bar food while riding. After 50 miles I stopped and had a full meal and it recharged me. I would say bring less larabars and bring more gels. After a certain amount of riding you may not want anything solid, especially an energy bar. This is where gels are great.

Regarding food…take a variety of stuff. I can assure you that after 100miles or 100km you’ll be sick of larabars (they sound nice). I like alternating between sweet and savoury and different textures. You can keep eating constantly with that regime. Make sure you have salty food too if it’s hot…you’ll be craving salt if you sweat a lot.

Though my longest-ever ride was 72 miles, I concur with the much more experienced Gizmo on the long distance food situation. Either bring real food, or plan to get some along the way. Gels are okay for shorter rides, but don’t give meaningful boosts over such a long ride, except maybe near the end.

Also I question 2L as a reasonable amount of water. My Camelbak holds 3L, but that one long ride I did was supported, so I found out I was carrying way more than I needed (which suits me just fine compared to the other way around!).

Before work? You must work the graveyard shift, lol! My guess is you won’t be in any kind of condition to “work” after a 100 mile coker ride…unless your job is sleep testing! :stuck_out_tongue:

I put energy drink powder in my camelbak, and took a couple of soreen malt loaf things (800 calories each!), a few chocolate bars, and stopped to buy a bag of crisps at one point. We finished at a fish and chip shop where we got some recovery calories.

Larabars appear to have about 200 calories, making 10 of them about 2000 calories, which is probably roughly what I took excluding the energy drink. I can really recommend energy drink powder for this kind of ride.

One thing I’ve recently got into for long rides is cheese and onion pasties - I don’t know if you have them over there, cheap pie things that you buy from petrol (gas) stations. They are high in calories, cheap, and savoury, which makes a change from the normal cake and chocolate bars.

Also, any time you have a chance to buy snack, it is worth doing it, the more you buy on the ride, the less you need to carry, and the more variety you get.

I take a puncture repair kit and a pump. I’ve always found it easier / quicker to repair a coker tube than to take the tyre off and replace the tube.

In terms of water, I think we may have filled up at one point on our ride, but I can’t remember, so I either drank 2l or 4l. We did it a week before midwinter, so we didn’t need that much water.

Joe

Why carry the weight of your wallet? Just take your credit card wrapped in a note!

You’re missing the point. What’s REALLY going to suck is his ride home after work! Nathan, I recommend you find a job that’s a little closer to your house… :smiley:

I once did a 378km ride and I think I turned up at work the next day, a little stiff.

Haha, yeah and then imagine him doing it all over again the next day, and the day after that till the weekend.
On the upside, he would get some serious legmuscles then :wink:

Everythig siafreddie said is spot-on, but especially the food advice. Variety is key, and be sure to include some soft food for the later stages of the ride. Salt is key as well, especially if you sweat a lot like me… either in a pill (Hammer Endurolytes are my fave) or some chips or a sports drink.

If you can refill your bladder at the 1/2 point, then you might get away with taking less than the full 2L… it won’t save you a lot of weight, but every less gram of pressure on your taint is appreciated, I’m sure!

Way to be a dick, Terry!

Piece of cake, I’ve gone to work plenty of times the day after I’ve finished a 100 mile RUN. Riding is much easier on the body (no pounding) :roll_eyes: ! You’ll just be a bit stiff, and walk around kind of funny for a while.

Ok I hear ya, but since you said “before work” I assumed you meant you would ride 100 miles, then go to work right after! How long do you think it will take? Maybe 10 hours? I give you mad props, but I don’t think I could ride that far without major difficulty. The farthest I’ve gone is about 50 miles, and for me that was FAR! Let us know how it goes!:slight_smile:

So I did it, it was a 100km, not mile, although I had some time left over before I had to work so I did another 20km. It was pretty fun, not to hard, so next time I’m definitely going to have to do a full 160.

I actually didn’t eat to much in the ride and didn’t bonk (surprisingly)

I ate one larabar in the first 50km, then stopped got some more water, some chips, and some iced tea (probably a bad choice but it was refreshing). Then on the way back I ate one more larabar and an energy gel.

For breakfast I had 12 pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup. For dinner I had a largy Gyro pita with extra meat (more salt that way) some salt and vinegar chips and some juice.

I started at 10:30 and got to work around 5. I took two half hour breaks and a bunch of saddle stops. So 120km in 6.5 hours. Not including the ride to work and back home (I started from work in the morning because they were giving out free pancakes). It is a 6km commute to work.

Things I would change, is to have a better more comfortable place to eat lunch, and probably have a better lunch than just some chips and iced tea, also I would bring an extra pair of riding shorts or at least some tighter underwear for the ride back home from work. I had changed out of my riding shorts and into boxers to relax my junk for a while but on the way home it was more painful than at any other time in the ride.

Also work went fine, it was just a three and a half hour closing shift, and it was pretty quiet, but I was still on my feet the whole time.

Good times for sure!

Yesterday I rode 76.5 miles from where I live (gatwick to andover, UK) and I think that I prefer the idea of better safe than sorry. Bring those tyre levers, you never know what might happen, and also a decent puncture repair kit. they are small, should fit in your camelback and work well enough to get you home.
Food-wise - when I’m out riding long distance I generally take a variety of food, such as sandwiches, pies, cake, Dextro Energy Pills, chocolate and energy drink. Just so you can have what you want, when you want.

I hope this helps a bit

Please, I’m eating.

Such an elegant turn of phrase. :roll_eyes:

I try to be eloquent.

I’m pretty new to this long distance stuff, but, routinely riding 40k++ per day.

My thoughts.

A lot of gels are WAY too sweet. I like the less sugary ones.

Chocolate makes my chuck. (not good when you are dehydrated already).

Water is good!! I have 1.5l Camelback. Water, a couple of tools, tire patches, pump, cellphone, gels. A planned stop can easily top that water up.

Camelback with any drink stuff in it gets really moldy - fast. Water only, imo.

I used to use Javex to keep the mold at bay - now I use cheapo denture cleaning tablets (I can’t remember the brand name and I’m too lazy to go to my room to check that out), but something like Efferdent, or Polident. Works great, and you aren’t tasting that chlorine.

Crotch/taint -

Strategic hair removal is probably necessary (at least in my case). :))

Aside from some good cycle shorts…I’ve tried Assos (kind of expensive, and it didn’t last that long, imo), I bought some Bag Balm from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10255&cat=2,42551, and imo, that is GREAT (but not so sure about the petroleum product and the lycra in the cycle shorts).

I kiteboard, so I have had a stick of GLIDE around started carrying that in the Camelback for the road uni rides. THAT has saved my taint a couple of times, and I might think about going to using that exclusively. I bought that at the Running Room, and I use it for the neck on wetsuit, so that I don’t get razor burn around my neck from the collar, but when things are getting grippy in the saddle-to-body-contact-region, the GLIDE has save some major discomfort.

I’m pretty new to this long distance stuff, but, routinely riding 40k++ per day.

My thoughts.

A lot of gels are WAY too sweet. I like the less sugary ones.

Chocolate makes my chuck. (not good when you are dehydrated already).

Water is good!! I have 1.5l Camelback. Water, a couple of tools, tire patches, pump, cellphone, gels. A planned stop can easily top that water up.

Camelback with any drink stuff in it gets really moldy - fast. Water only, imo.

I used to use Javex to keep the mold at bay - now I use cheapo denture cleaning tablets (I can’t remember the brand name and I’m too lazy to go to my room to check that out), but something like Efferdent, or Polident. Works great, and you aren’t tasting that chlorine.

Crotch/taint -

Strategic hair removal is probably necessary (at least in my case). :))

Aside from some good cycle shorts…I’ve tried Assos (kind of expensive, and it didn’t last that long, imo), I bought some Bag Balm from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10255&cat=2,42551, and imo, that is GREAT (but not so sure about the petroleum product and the lycra in the cycle shorts).

I kiteboard, so I have had a stick of GLIDE around started carrying that in the Camelback for the road uni rides. THAT has saved my taint a couple of times, and I might think about going to using that exclusively. I bought that at the Running Room, and I use it for the neck on wetsuit, so that I don’t get razor burn around my neck from the collar, but when things are getting grippy in the saddle-to-body-contact-region, the GLIDE has save some major discomfort.