Century Ride in Buena Vista, Colorado

I completed my first century ride on my Coker on Saturday. It was a supported cycling tour called the “Buena Vista Bike Fest.” The route is from Buena Vista up valley to Leadville, up Tennessee Pass the around the historic Mineral Belt Bike path. There were 800 participants, mostly people on road bikes but I saw plenty of recumbents and tandems as well. The route has lots of gradual climbing and descending and initially I signed up thinking I’d have my KH/Schulmpf uni ready to rock, but alas it wasn’t to be so…I completed it on my regular old fixxie.
I started at 5:30 AM just as the sun was peeking out, about 1 ½ hours before more bikers would head out. I wanted to take advantage out all the support stops and meet my biking friends at lunch. There had been snow this past week and the temps were in the high 30s (f) but the day promised to be clear and bright. The only annoying thing was a string headwind heading straight down valley 25-30 mph, with gusts even stronger than that. It was downright discouraging. I had driven up from home 2.5 hours away and I’d awoken at 2:30 am so I was tired and not very confident about my training (very little). After an hour of battling the wind and barely clearing 10 mph, I was wondering if I hadn’t made a big mistake. I decided to push those thoughts just see if I could get to Leadville. Soon there were lots of cars headed down the highway honking support. At 17 miles was the first support station. The volunteers were just getting set up but they were very happy to see a unicycle. I met the organizers of the race and everyone was so positive it gave me a burst of energy. I powered up valley to Leadville and then through some back roads to Tennesee Pass.
Going up the pass I was cramping HARD. In fact, I keeled over in a dramatic UPD right in front of a sag vehicle. I clearly wasn’t hydrating enough and I also wasn’t getting enough salt. I spent 20-30 minutes drinking Gatorade and trying to get my cramping under control. It was very painful and I was only at mile 40. Finally, I remounted and slowly started the climb up the pass. The cramps were manageable now and I was able to climb at a descent rate. Here is a pic at the top of the pass.

Coming off the pass I was feeling a lot better. I downsized my adjustable cranks to 125mms and I took off on a fun 10 mile ride to the yummy Chicken Burrito lunch. Here is a pic looking south east toward the still very snowy Mosquito Mountain Range.

After lunch was a long 3 mile climb up to the top of the Mineral Belt Bike path. The weather was absolutely perfect and the views were unbelievable. I was feeling comfortable and more confident. I knew at the top of this climb was the beginning of a 40 mile descent into the finish. Here is another pic looking west toward Mt. Yale and Mt. Harvard, two of the 14,000 ft mountains lining the valley.

There was a pirate theme to the rides and the volunteers built a pirate ship out of the portable toilets! Check it out! Only 30 more miles and now the headwind I battled on the way out was pushing me home (see flags).

I stopped and took a picture at 10 miles out. I know I could endure anything for ten more miles.
My butt was sore but I experienced absolutely no numbness. That is thanks to my new Scott Wallis saddle that arrived in the mail on Tuesday. If I’d been on my KH airseat I am certain I would have been much worse off. I came in just before 4:30, making the whole affair and 11 hour day. I drank a couple of hard earned ales at the post-ride party and somehow managed to drive the 2 hours back to the house. Feeling a bit slow today but I’m betting around OK. All in all a great day in the beautiful Colorado sunshine!

Congratulations! Despite the obvious aches and pains, I bet it feels great.

Don’t forget to add your name to the roll call on this thread; Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

My name isn’t on there yet, but hopefully by this time next week it will be :slight_smile:

STM

Edit: By the way, the photos aren’t showing up. Dunno if its the PC here or not though.

Great job!

The pics aren’t working in the thread :frowning:

What adjustable cranks were you using?

Bummer about the pics! I thought I finally figured it out! I’ll try to fix them when I get home. SHUCKS!

Osmundo, Congratulations!! That is an epic ride, those morning drainage winds sounded tough, glad they were favorable for you in the afteroon. I bet those frosty cold ones went down nicely. Congrats again.

Major congrats, osmundo! 100 miles is pretty epic, and that nasty headwind must’ve made it hurt all the more… headwinds destroy coker riding as far as Iv’e found out… all the same, though: Awesome job!

Century Ride in Buena Vista, Colorado
I completed my first century ride on my Coker on Saturday. It was a supported cycling tour called the “Buena Vista Bike Fest.” The route is from Buena Vista up valley to Leadville, up Tennessee Pass the around the historic Mineral Belt Bike path. There were 800 participants, mostly people on road bikes but I saw plenty of recumbents and tandems as well. The route has lots of gradual climbing and descending and initially I signed up thinking I’d have my KH/Schulmpf uni ready to rock, but alas it wasn’t to be so…I completed it on my regular old fixxie.
I started at 5:30 AM just as the sun was peeking out, about 1 ½ hours before more bikers would head out. I wanted to take advantage out all the support stops and meet my biking friends at lunch. There had been snow this past week and the temps were in the high 30s (f) but the day promised to be clear and bright. The only annoying thing was a string headwind heading straight down valley 25-30 mph, with gusts even stronger than that. It was downright discouraging. I had driven up from home 2.5 hours away and I’d awoken at 2:30 am so I was tired and not very confident about my training (very little). After an hour of battling the wind and barely clearing 10 mph, I was wondering if I hadn’t made a big mistake. I decided to push those thoughts just see if I could get to Leadville. Soon there were lots of cars headed down the highway honking support. At 17 miles was the first support station. The volunteers were just getting set up but they were very happy to see a unicycle. I met the organizers of the race and everyone was so positive it gave me a burst of energy. I powered up valley to Leadville and then through some back roads to Tennesee Pass.
Going up the pass I was cramping HARD. In fact, I keeled over in a dramatic UPD right in front of a sag vehicle. I clearly wasn’t hydrating enough and I also wasn’t getting enough salt. I spent 20-30 minutes drinking Gatorade and trying to get my cramping under control. It was very painful and I was only at mile 40. Finally, I remounted and slowly started the climb up the pass. The cramps were manageable now and I was able to climb at a descent rate. Here is a pic at the top of the pass.

Coming off the pass I was feeling a lot better. I downsized my adjustable cranks to 125mms and I took off on a fun 10 mile ride to the yummy Chicken Burrito lunch. Here is a pic looking south east toward the still very snowy Mosquito Mountain Range.

After lunch was a long 3 mile climb up to the top of the Mineral Belt Bike path. The weather was absolutely perfect and the views were unbelievable. I was feeling comfortable and more confident. I knew at the top of this climb was the beginning of a 40 mile descent into the finish. Here is another pic looking west toward Mt. Yale and Mt. Harvard, two of the 14,000 ft mountains lining the valley.

There was a pirate theme to the rides and the volunteers built a pirate ship out of the portable toilets! Check it out! Only 30 more miles and now the headwind I battled on the way out was pushing me home (see flags).

I stopped and took a picture at 10 miles out. I know I could endure anything for ten more miles.

My butt was sore but I experienced absolutely no numbness. That is thanks to my new Scott Wallis saddle that arrived in the mail on Tuesday. If I’d been on my KH airseat I am certain I would have been much worse off. I came in just before 4:30, making the whole affair and 11 hour day. I drank a couple of hard earned ales at the post-ride party and somehow managed to drive the 2 hours back to the house. Feeling a bit slow today but I’m betting around OK. All in all a great day in the beautiful Colorado sunshine!

I hope the pics are fixed now.

I have a set of Kooka three holed cranks that I bought from PC a year and a half ago. They are 170/150/125 I may sell them when I get my KH/Schlumpf finally together b/c they are of course square tapers. Ideally, however, I’d like to keep a spare coker around for when people visit.

That’s awesome! My buddy and I also completed our first century rides on Saturday too!!

Our report is to come. Madd props to you and your ride!