Century, plus 10, and camber question

Depends how heavy it is.

Maybe make a special tire?

I haven’t tried this, but everyone mentioning how square tires are worse got me thinking.

Take the cranks off and chuck up a drill to the axle with the frame in a vise. Then it should be easy to spin the wheel fast and use a sander to bevel one side of the tire. If you used a jig to make sure your bevel matched the road angle, that might work.

I have some bags of cement just going to waste, so I could just whip some up and trawl it along the 80 mile stretch to make it level! Should take more than maybe 2-3 million bags! Yeah, that’s the ticket! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice! I’m going to mill myself a solid steel ball with a mass of 7.35x10^20 kg and ride near jason with it.

corbin

This ought to do it! :stuck_out_tongue:

There you go. But you’ll want to tilt the seat to the right. When fighting camber on the right side of the road, it’s kind of like your right leg is working harder. Makes the right side of my crotch more sore than the left. Really!

Don’t poke fun, you now have enough information to do a bunch of useful research for the unicycling community as a part of your training. Don’t pass up this opportunity! :slight_smile:

How bad is my beveled tire idea ?

I thought about it today. The roads here are basically flat , so I can’t do the experiment myself.

I admit it sounds sort of out there stupid, to bevel out the round on the left side of center, in the tread contour of a TA to match road angle.

I like Terry’s question. It’s phrased as if “what if you had to ride 100 miles with this consistent warp pissing you off”, what do you do ? It is such a rare question.
Beveling out just the corner on the left side of the flat spot (assuming that unlike me you always ride on the right), should help somewhat I would guess.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

If I was team captain of a Lobster team and the next leg of the race was cambered, I would think modded beveled tires would be worth the trouble if they worked.

Road camber

Hi Terry,
I’m not a road rider, but this is very interesting. I thought the wheel when tilted creates a radius that begins the turn. I see the problem of riding the angle without "crabing " a little. So if you angle the wheel it would be turning in that direction constantly. I am going to be following this to see if there is a way to counteract this. Good Luck Terry, a very worth while cause!

Lobbybopster

I’ll be testing a few configurations tomorrow or Monday, and will post my results! :slight_smile:

The only solution =P Have a tyre where one side has a larger radius than the other side.

only solution.jpg

haha, that ended it! lol

With just a little less psi, the tire would naturally “mold” to that angle without the need to alter it physically.

Terry, what ever came of this? Did you ride your 100 + 10?
Did you run some tests? How did you combat the road camber?

I high pressure round profile tyre does the opposite and retains it’s shape but due to the rounded profile it is less effected by the camber, a firmer squarer tyre has to lean over to sit on the angled surface so these profile tyres need less air to mold to the camber angle as you have pointed out, but on a long ride you are going to lose efficient and mile life hard for yourself in a different way.

I would recommend getting the “The Todd” waltworks tyre (I can’t remember if you have one already) as at 45 psi I have virtually no real crowning issues anymore and it is light and flies along, it is a very impressive tyre :slight_smile:

Riding long roads with bad camber sucks the big one :stuck_out_tongue:

Had to reschedule that one. The road camber tests weren’t conclusive but I did discover that when I’m tired or having an “off” day, riding on cambered roads seem to be much more noticeable.

Agreed! :slight_smile:

Bad camber is a skill. Learn the tricks or play the hard way.

Some tires that others hate because of camber I like. Some tires that others like I don’t think are all that good.

But then I ride more camber road than most. After a few regular centuries none of them are all that bad. I tend to prefer the TA Radial myself. To bad the new rims have trouble holding it.

My least favorite is a twitchy wheel that likes to turn. Harder for me to sleep in the saddle when the horse has a mind of its own about where to go.

My other dislike is a wheel that throws a lot of water. Having completed a few centuries in the rain its never enjoyable when the wheel is throwing water over my head and adding to the rain hitting my face mile after mile with full rain gear and winter boot full of water for 104 miles.

Road camber? It comes as part of the challenge. How about serving some crackers and cheese with your whine? My wife would say “Quit your bitchin!”

I suggest you get out and ride. Have some fun. Enjoy the camber. Brag that you did it.

JM

I haven’t ordered one yet because I use my 36er mostly for long distance road riding, and that tire looks like it best suited for off road. But I keep hearing that it works well for both on and off road, so I’ll probably end up getting one.

“Meow”… Sounds like like Schrodinger’s cat.

It feels great onroad, I haven’t ridden a night rider but “The Todd” just feels so free spining and drag free on teh black stuff that I can’t imagine a full slick would roll much better it is that good, and off road it is incredibly good for such low ramped knobs I think it is to do with the large wheel giving a long contact patch so more tread is on the ground so more grip. Oh and the weight saving on the outer most edge of the rim saves you a lot of energy as well, and over 100 miles that is going to be a godsend.

I am keen to do a century this year but think I need a T-bar for that, I do 40+ mile flat off road rides every few weekends so think a road century should be doable.