CD seat post

Just got a Coker Deluxe from Unicycle.com – don’t know who makes the seatpost (Miyata?), but even at its lowest (before it scrapes the tire), my feet doesn’t reach the lowest that the pedals go. C’mon, I’m 5’8" with a 30" inseam!

Has anyone been sawing off the bottom of their seatpost? Bruce – how do your kids reach?

Joel

Re: CD seat post

My (non-deluxe) Coker came from unicycle.com with multiple seat posts. The
shortest post allowed the seat to be lowered right down to the to of the
seat tube. However I am tall and needed an extra long post.

If you choose to cut the post I suggest using a tubing or pipe cutter. It
will make a much cleaner cut that you could achieve with a hacksaw. If you
have access to a chopsaw that would work well also.

-mg
“velarpinch” <velarpinch.byylb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:velarpinch.byylb@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Just got a Coker Deluxe from Unicycle.com – don’t know who makes the
> seatpost (Miyata?), but even at its lowest (before it scrapes the tire),
> my feet doesn’t reach the lowest that the pedals go. C’mon, I’m 5’8"
> with a 30" inseam!
>
> Has anyone been sawing off the bottom of their seatpost? Bruce – how
> do your kids reach?
>
> Joel
>
>
> –
> velarpinch - rev junky
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> velarpinch’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1634
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20828
>

Most people have to cut the seatpost to size. A sharp hacksaw will do it or a pipe cutting tool will also do it. Just make the cut straight and square and then file down any sharp edges.

If you are using a hacksaw you can wrap a leather belt or something similar around the tube to help guide the hacksaw blade.

A basic pipe cutter like this
<http://www.generaltool.com/itemdetail.asp?KeyValue=GEN%20120&gt;
will also do the trick.

The neck of the Coker isn’t very long so you don’t have a lot of extra length to work with. Be careful when cutting the seaptost that you don’t cut it too short. The bottom of the post should be about an inch or less above the tire, otherwise there isn’t enough of the post inside the frame.

In a pinch, I used an old, rusty hacksaw to remove the end of my seatpost. It was messy (the hacksaw was dull, but I was very impatient to ride on the new saddle after suffering with a stock rubber saddle for a few months), and I probably drove the neighbours mental with 10 minutes of screechy sawing, but it worked fine. I filed off any sharp bits, jammed it in, and off i went…

andrea

Joel,

The standard Cokers do come with the three seatposts, all of the Schwinn or Viscount pattern. The CD does not come with three posts as the saddle has been upgraded to a Miyata (not compatible with the Schwinn or Viscount) so the CD only comes with the single Miyata saddle and 300 mm Miyata seatpost. I have a 30" inseam and had to cut my CD’s seatpost down.

My boys used the shortest posts that came with their standard Cokers. We’ve got Brad’s saddle as low as it will go and he can just reach the pedals. By next spring, he should not have to stretch to reach. Even with the stretch, he still rides very well.

I use a good quality pipe cutter, $19.00 as the cheap one I had lasted about two weeks. Be sure to remove the burr at the cut before reinstalling the post on the uni. Removing the burr will help the operation to go smoothly.

Bruce

Thanks for the advice, all. I got a Stanley hacksaw at OSH which broke on about the 12th stroke. I returned it and got a cheap pipe cutter. That did the trick, except the rotating blade now looks like a piece of limp, wet pasta, but not as tasty.

-Joel

I’m your height but have a 1" shorter inseam and have an air seat so I definitely had to cut the post. However you cut it, take your time and cut long the first time so that it’s not too short.