Carrying your uni (from Muni rules discussion)

Ah, the portage. When, why, and, most importantly, how, do you carry your uni (Muni, Guni) on an unridden part of a long ride?

I’ve found shoulder-carry the best overall, but some situations calling for the seat-push-and-roll. Shoulder-carry is hands-down best, for me, when portaging up to-steep-to-ride stuff, and also in any
Imgur

I’ve also found, in trail races, no matter how I do it, running with the machine is only faster than riding on difficult or steep sections. The more “ride-able” sections/obstacles, the more you can ride, the faster your time.

I also find the shoulder carry to be the best option.

Where are you in the pic? And is that supposed to be a video or something?

I’ve strapped it to my camelbak before, for sections where I had to climb up big rocks and needed both hands free so I could swing over gaps and things, and really didn’t want to drop the uni, as it’d be a long way down to fetch it. That was very convenient, although a pain to put on and off.

On a normal ride I don’t usually push for long enough to want to put it over the shoulder, so it gets rolled on the ground usually.

I also never found running much use in races except on completely unrideable (for me) uphills - it is so much more tiring than riding. Once it gets too steep to ride, unless it is very short, it is too tiring to run fast usually, so you end up doing a sort of hurried walk.

Joe

I carry it on my shoulder or push it, and usually alternate between the two.

In a race I don’t have time to be strapping it to anything- I’m on/off it as fast as someone doing cyclocross.

The only trips I’ve had to do extended carrying was in Nepal- there were so many steps along the Annapurna circuit that you just had to carry the unicycle. The easiest way I’ve found was to hire a porter to carry your unicycle :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re also quite useful if you happen to break your ankle and you need to send them to the next village to hire a horse and cart you out on horseback.

Normally I’d walk it in front of me, but when it gets too rocky or steep then I’ll hoik it over the shoulder.

Here’s an example of me slogging up Snowdon…

Don’t know why the image didn’t get inserted. This was us taking a break in the Panama rain forest, where much of the “ride” was skinny trail and shoulder-carrying was the only way.

3201687698_262a159e50.jpg

it depends: pushing is always the easiest way if it’s possible, if not for short distances shoulder is ok, for longer parts: strapped on the backpack!

I like that middle one, Turtle. It shows how far you’ve hiked.

yes we hiked there a lot (6 day trip in the alps with the highest peak was 3200masl). but for me muni includes hiking as well (sure sometimes i prefer a cablecar :-))