Carbon rim 36er test Simi Valley

From 11.10.2019.

Very happy with this setup and really can feel the difference. Easier to control and rolls over chunky terrain smoothly once PSI is dialed in. I am almost 64 now so my riding is not as aggressive as it used to be, but what the hell, you gotta do something, now don’tcha?

Nice! I hope to be as active and positive as you are when I’m in my 60s :sunglasses:

:+1:

Great video. I am seriously considering one of those mad4one handle bar saddles for my regular commute. Now that you have had a chance to play with them a bit, what are your thoughts? Maybe you want to do a full review of them somewhere and compare with other handlebar setups?

Who am I kidding? I am too impatient to wait for a reply. I have gone and ordered one. Let’s hope it is good! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh no! I just saw your post now I didn’t have enough time to say you should not have ordered one… You should have ordered several, they’re fantastic! :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I’ve put at least one hundred miles on both my g26er and 36er with the long version handle saddle, and although it did take a little getting used to initially, and tweaking the angle adjustment, I would not go back to a regular saddle.

Don’t you see the next hype for a “regular” saddle modification?
"you see this first 1/3 of the foam ? just cut it and voila! " :slight_smile:

Well it arrived, that is the good news.

The bad news… my wife has been looking for something for the kids to give me at Christmas (which should be “something I really want”), so I have grudgingly agreed to let them pack this up as my “surprise” present, which means I now have to wait… until… Christmas. :frowning:

Oh well, it’ll be a nice present and I will be genuinely grateful when they give it to me. :slight_smile:

Lol. First world problem!

Yeah, you are right! Never has anything been more true! :wink:

I won’t go into the boring reasons but we (my family) are opening our presents today.

And so, I mounted it and had a quick ride.

Well… it is certainly different!

Too early to say if it is the better or worse. I have never ridden with any kind of handlebar before, so this will take some adjustment period to get used to it I think.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s got nothing to do with your religious beliefs

:stuck_out_tongue:

Travel related and not wanting to carry presents with us.

It will seem worse until you get used to it. Keep that in mind, so you don’t judge it too harshly.

First of all, for safety, you need to train yourself to keep one hand on the handle during a dismount. This will keep you from getting caught in the seat/bar setup. If you can’t manage keeping one hand on with this setup, I suggest you go back to another unicycle with a conventional saddle and practice keeping a hand on that on, then returning to your bar setup.

My above recommendation will keep you from dropping the unicycle. If you still think you’re going to drop it, I suggest you wrap a bit more protection around the front portion of the handle.

Another thing you might try is to lower the saddle to the point where you’re not putting enough weight in the seat, where you’re putting most of your weight on the pedals. That will force you to use the handle. It will also make it easier to clear the handle during dismounts.

I noticed from the picture you’ve got 3-hole cranks (100/125/150?) set to the shortest length. I suggest you practice with the longest setting, instead. If you are comfortable with short cranks, that suggests to me you are well balanced over the unicycle, diminishing your need for a handle in the first place. If you set the cranks to their longest position, and that makes you feel a loss of control, you will regain control by pushing and pulling on the handle. Also, if you are reaching out to the end of the handle, something you’re not accustomed to, this will screw up your balance, and you will need to make larger corrections, better done with longer cranks.

Good luck!

handlebars has been a real game changer in my unicycle practice, especially since I started to ride with my two hands on it 99% of the time.
before that (my first 5 unicycling years) my style was awful, I looked like I’m struggling to stay in balance, was twisted to a side, and was waving my arms around.
But since I learned to keep my hands on a handlebar I don’t use my arms and shoulder for balance anymore, I use hips and lower core instead, and now if I ride without my arms on the handlebar, I just look relaxed and in control, my arms are just leaning along my body.

This handlebar-saddle design looks very interesting, let us know how the saddle feels for long distance rides.

If the profile pic is you… I’m impressed!!!
Love black and white, the outfit and the scenery.

nope, I just took it cause I found this pic cool too. :slight_smile:

I was lucky as a beginner to ride with Jamey Mossengren. He encouraged me to work toward getting both hands on the saddle-handle / bars. Without his guidance, it might have taken me a lot longer to get two hands on the saddle, and maybe it would never have happened.

What helped me the most learning to ride with two hands on the handlebars was practicing SIF (seat in front) technique on my 20". At first, I practiced SIF one-handed. That really stressed out the muscles in my arm. Later on, I was able to get both hands on the saddle and was able to relax more.

If you watch videos of advanced, technical downhill riders, they have one hand out for balance. I think that is the correct technique for extreme conditions where larger corrections need to be made. But for more controlled riding conditions, an arm out for balance seems like an over-correction.

What happens when…

I’m concerned when you fall that the handle which is a “moment arm” will cause the seat to twist off-center each time it touches ground. Thus, requiring seat clamp adjustment each time. Is this a problem?

No different to any other handlebar…