Can you over tighten spokes

P.S. This is the maximum tension that I use on my 24" and 26" wheels. On my 36er I allow more slack due to the very long spokes.

If unibokk’s advice doesn’t work for you (though it is really good advice), you can always take it to a bike shop and have them do it as a last resort.

thank you for the advice:)

i thought it would be easier it take the wheel off the frame and in doing so the disc break caliper has closed up as if the break is on :angry:

how can i get the two pads inside to open up again so i can put the wheel back on?

Don’t turn any screws on the caliper. Instead just prise the pads apart with a flat tipped screwdriver a chisel.

thanks, i managed to get the wheel back on only to find out that it is still wonky :angry:

i am going to take it to a bike shop, will they be able to do it or will they just laugh and if they can roughly how much would it cost and how long would it take them?

My LBS told me they charge $30 (~20 pounds) for a wheelbuild, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

They can fix it, once nothing’s badly damaged. If they start working on it straight away, then it should only take about thirty minutes or so. Ask them how much will it cost before handing in your unicycle. I think they will enjoy the novelty of working on a unicycle. Maybe you can watch as they fix your wheel and pick up a few tips.

Hope this helps.

If they laugh at you then they are terrible businessmen, and you need to find a different LBS. Mine thought the uni wheelset was cool, and it only cost around 30-40 bucks…

I had a kid bring in a nimbus wheel that needed love and found me a new riding buddy

That’s cool, were you working at a bike shop?

I am, i hate working 2 jobs but its worth it most of the time :slight_smile:

I’ve read about tensioning by ear and found a table somewhere on the net (but not for 36" wheels) and used an electronic guitar tuner to make all the spokes sound f#’ (i think) when plucked.
Then i found an app for the ipad that calculates the frequency into kpf (you have to set the correct spoke diamete, length and material). With this i did set all the spokes to around 110 kpf (+/- 10) when finally trueing my 36" wheel.

Greetings

Byc

Thanks for all the advice :slight_smile:

I got it back from the bike shop today an allthow it is not compleatly true it is a hell of a lot better than it was:D

That’s great to know, I was wondering if using an instrument tuner would work…