Can you add a brake to a SemXLW frame?

The current post on the friction brake got me thinking. Is it possible to drill into the top of the SEmXLW frame and insert a bolt to mount a brake, like a road bike brake.

I expect the biggest problem would be finding calipers that fit around the GAZZ 2.6 tire. Can you extend the calipers somehow? Anyone done this?

Obviously, it wouldn’t give you Magura break quality, but I was thinking in a few technical instances when a brake might help where I ride.

Kris holm rides a Muni in UNiverse with a brake on it, but I can’t tell if those are mounted with brazeons or not.

Work the maze.

sure you could,i’ve been thinkin about this to ,but the large calipers (the ones that went over big schwinn fenders)that would fit a fat tire are all crapally made steel junk that would’nt be worth it.

what i would like to find is some of these things called Moots mounts.they came out when Mt.bikes were evolving to cantilevers.they were cantilever studs on a metal band that you could tightin down on the frame like a hose clamp.

these may be imposible to find now days but there worth mentioning.

yes you can put a brake on a Sem XLW

Yes!! you can put a brake on a Semcycle XLW frame… I just did! The thing you need is a BMX flat-land add on part called a Big Cheese Brake mount. Its a horseshoe shaped aluminium thing that clamps on to your uni frame. You use these hose clamps to attach it, and you have to drill a hole in the bottom of your seat post. This allows you to hang the brake mount- just like a road bike brake. THe Brake mount is the standard V-brake mount, but if you want to use Maguras, you can, just use the Evolution Brake mounts that Magura sells. I suggest the HS-11 or 33 brake levers. The HS-11 for their cold forged/ bendability- you can bend them to fit your desired hand exention length. or the HS-33 for thier smaller master cylander diamater. HS-33 have a 14 mm piston and the HS-11 have a 16mm, so the HS-33s give you a little bit more stopping power. I suggest you clamp the seat post between two blocks of wood and use a drill press to get a nice even/level hole. the 3/16th drill bit is the right size for the Big Cheese brand brake mounts. Good luck to all you inspiring trials-uni riders! mcraft1@hotmail.com

why not…

why not cut some brake brackets things, off a mountain bike, and braze weld them onto you MUni? I wouldnt think it would be to hard, you just have to measure were they need to go, so you dont make a mistake and put them in the wrong spot. Then use V brakes and mount those on, instead of using calipers.

Re: why not…

ya,of course that can be done but i dont weld.the cost and risk (for me)dont mesh…i’d rather put that money towords somthing that comes new with mounts …i think i’ll check out this Big Cheese thing in the mean time.

Re: Can you add a brake to a SemXLW frame?

Lars took a picture of my uni with a DMR V-dapter @

I don’t think they’ll work that well with 3.0 inch tyres though
(the tyre fitted was a Tioga 26x2.3 DH).

Leo White

Re: Can you add a brake to a SemXLW frame?

I’ve never seen a stock booster that works with a 3" tire. This one surely
won’t.

—Nathan

“Leo White” <leo.white@tesco.net> wrote in message
news:47Vp8.23389$2O2.1060373@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk
> Lars took a picture of my uni with a DMR V-dapter @
> http://www.circomique.de/lars/bmw1999/bmw199924.jpg
>
> I don’t think they’ll work that well with 3.0 inch tyres though
> (the tyre fitted was a Tioga 26x2.3 DH).
>
> Leo White