can someone explain...

As a new user of the forum, I’m confused by the fact that a typical thread has, say, 10 replies, and, say, 156 ‘views’. Whats the difference, and why? Thanks kindly.

10 replies means " 10 answers " and 154 views says how much user has seen the posting…

-felix

[QUOTE]
[i]Originally posted by foxx
<<10 replies means " 10 answers " and 154 views says how much user has seen the posting…

-felix >>

Ahh! I feel really silly now, because I thought it meant ‘views’ as in ‘opinions’, and couldn’t see why there was a separate column.
Doh!
Mike (the phantom plummeter of Cannock Chase)

Not Mikefule, of Staffordshire? THE Phantom Plummeter, of Cannock Chase fame? Well, I’ll be- I’d never have thought… I always figured you were just a legend, the Scarlet Pimpernel of Unicycling…

Could I get a picture, uh, you know- with you wearing the Mask and Half Cape, mid pirouette? It’s not for me, understand, but uh… Lewis is a big fan. Just sign it something like “Christopher, my one wheeled comrad in the never ending fight against evil -PP”

Thanx,

Christopher

There are so many lurkers who just take advice fron the forum, but dont make themselves known. This is why there are so many views, and so little replies. There are not even 150 people who post regularly, so you do the math. You are not the only one who is a phantom. It is the lurkers. Make yourselves known.
-David Kaplan

We’re not lurkers. We’re using the search engine so that we don’t get yelled at for asking newbie questions. =)

Aaron, who is currently learning to idle and hop… not necessarily at the same time.

Just hop idly by…

I dont really have any problem with lurkers. I was just trying to stir the pot, and give a good excuse to join in the festivities for anyone who was kind of wanting to. Noot too sleek huh?

Anyway, I too am a lurker. Because of my lack of knowledge and all, I dont have anything constructive to add to the performers.net forum. Just looking for anything that would be useful for some summer busking that i have planned. Lurking is not a bad thing, but I’d rather say nothing at all than get flack from people like me. :smiley:
-David Kaplan

Re: can someone explain…

I am a Lurker. And proud of it. It’s great, just like stalking people
without all those stupid legal problems.
Dustin
Zupancic
(I’m Watching…)

“UniDak” <UniDak.47msy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:UniDak.47msy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I dont really have any problem with lurkers. I was just trying to stir
> the pot, and give a good excuse to join in the festivities for anyone
> who was kind of wanting to. Noot too sleek huh?
>
> Anyway, I too am a lurker. Because of my lack of knowledge and all, I
> dont have anything constructive to add to the performers.net forum. Just
> looking for anything that would be useful for some summer busking that i
> have planned. Lurking is not a bad thing, but I’d rather say nothing at
> all than get flack from people like me. :smiley:
> -David Kaplan
>
>
> –
> UniDak - David Kaplan
>
> If you cross a Stone and a unicycle, you get a bunch of wild
> survival stories. - Carol McLean (poking fun at Dave Stone… it just
> keeps getting easier!)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> UniDak’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/311
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/17904
>

It’s importaint to remember that all of the electronic passersbys and/or uni wannabes make up a portion of that list of viewers. The result is a list of riders who may have interest in but not strong feelins about that particular subject, one way or the other. But, the record will show, that when a nerve is struck, true unicyclists will show in force.

Carl

i’ll chime in,its is also of major significants to bing up the fact that everytime you leave the thread and come back it registers another view.

thats why long threads like the spelling policehave 2 billion veiws,people kept coming back to see what the next pin head had to say.i never commented on that one but i know i’m directly responsible for at least 40 of those views cauze it just went on and on and on.somebody just renewed it aswell(argh).

even way old threads in the seach files register a new view when clicked.

> > Mike (the phantom plummeter of Cannock Chase)

I guess ‘phantom’ is code for ‘Er… I don’t seem to have any
protection with me so I’ll just watch you landing rather
heavily on yours, if that’s OK’ ;-).

I should have some spare pads and whatnot by the time we
go there again.

Arnold the Aardvark

Re: Re: can someone explain…

[QUOTE]
[i]Originally posted by Arnold the Aardvark

I guess ‘phantom’ is code for ‘Er… I don’t seem to have any
protection with me so I’ll just watch you landing rather
heavily on yours, if that’s OK’ ;-).

Arnold the Aardvark>>

What do you mean, no protection? I had fingerless gloves to protect my hands, and I had a companion (you) to send over the edge first to see if the descent was safe. What more could I need? ;0)

Surely more humane than your own technique of landing on a small child, as demonstrated on Saturday. :0D

Joking apart, next ime I do anything that extreme, I will wear a helmet. I had great fun and learned a lot.

On Sun, 5 May 2002 16:31:52 -0500, foxx
<foxx.478wz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>10 replies means " 10 answers " and 154 views says how much user has
>seen the posting…

…through the fora. In addition to those numbers, some people look at
the postings via the newsgroup (Usenet), or via Google Newsgroups
(web-based) or via the e-mail list serv. I don’t know their numbers
but regardless the number or viewers is higher than 154 (in the
example).

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“MDA, Internet Underground, $@”

I really feel like I belong now. I ended up in Christopher’s sig.

Aaron, still trying to idle…

UniDak said “make yourself known” what is the best way to get known? how does one "join in the festivities "

are you nice guys and girls? 
                      :D

Wes, well for the most part, but I do get a tad ornery every once in a while.
-David Kaplan