Can I Ride the Lobster??

hmm…

so you guys who are planning to do this, what sorta shape are you guys in?

things like how far you ride a day and what speed you average would be helpful to know :slight_smile:

The 2 day, 70km a day qualifying ride wouldn’t be that big of an issue for me but how much beyond that are you guys in shape??

I’d love to do it but i don’t want to go and make a fool out of myself ya know? :sunglasses:

i would also like to do it but no team

I could have a team lined up, but before we even start worrying about teams its important to decide if we can even physically do it.

i’d like to think i could but i’m not entirely sure how well others will do up there.

I’m counting on average speeds of 20km/h, as it’s a relay race I think the top teams will be riding avs of 25km/h. However I’m not sure of the terrain so speeds could be a little lower if it’s hilly.

Are lobsters hard to ride?

I’m tempted to say if you’ve not already got a coker you’re too late so don’t bother and bide your time for the next event. I’m talking more about skills now, as they build slowly, getting used to the wheel, graduating to shorter cranks and so on. Fitness comes with training, and a hell of a lot of it.

RTL is one hell of an event and is going to be extremely tough ride, over several days - maybe the toughest event you’ll ever enter on a unicycle.

(gee - what a pessimistic post! If you’ve got the drive, go for it and the very best of luck, it is going to be awesome)

yes, very… I do find it easier to ride multiple lobsters at one time though.

once school starts i’ll probably be doing 200 miles a week.

so if that counts as as a sufficient amount of drive then it could work. If not then i might need to reconsider…

A person who is truely dedicated, can dramatically improve his fitness over the course of a year.

ahh, thank you for that bit of optimism! and seeing as i’m already in decent shape this does seem like a possibility.

but i guess what i’m trying to do is define “truly dedicated” and see if thats what i am :thinking:

You can do it. Basically you’ll need to be at least capable of doing 30 miles a day for five days in a row. It would be good to be comfortable doing 50 miles on a given day, because you don’t know what will happen with your teammates. If your goal is just to be able to finish, those thresholds really aren’t that high.

If you’re hoping to compete for prize money, you’d better get some significant training in on pure speed. But it doesn’t sound like that’s your goal.

nahh, no real competing for me…

i just want to go for somewhere in the middle. Not dead last and not up in the front you know?

i’ve got plenty of years ahead of me to start competing with the hardcore riders :wink:

The idea is that it’s a race! Since there’s limited space, if you’re going to sign up, it shouldn’t be treated as just a group ride.

Even if you don’t think you can place competitively, you should train and compete as if you intend to.

and thats exactly why i started this thread. If this was a noncompetitive event I wouldn’t have any second thoughts.

but i’m curious as to the abilities of the average rider IN THIS RACE so that other people, as well as myself, can determine if there up to it.

I was just stating that I’m being realistic and not thinking i’m going to go into this and be able to blow away ALL the competition. :wink:

but i do agree with training as if you were trying to place competitively.

I also think its reasonable to set goals such as being in the top 40%. Anything short of perfection isn’t failure.

or is it?!? :astonished:

I agree, I was thinking more of the skills than fitness. A year a minimum of 200 miles a week is an excellent base!

Okay, my take on this, I would guess I’m probably in the top 50% of riders speed-wise. I can cruise at 14-15mph on the flat, and can push up the pace to closer to 17mph if I’m in a hurry for a couple of miles, but I can’t keep that kind of fast pace up forever. It’s important to be able to keep up this kind of pace after you’ve already ridden 20 miles.

As a basic thing, I’d think it’d not be worth entering (at least to compete) if you can’t average 12mph/20kmh for an hour, proper average that is, ie. you start somewhere, and 1 hour later, you are 12 miles away from where you started, including any rests or stops.

I’d suggest you really want to be comfortable with riding 110 cranks on the flat, and 125s in hills.

If you really ride 200 miles a week(!) you’re going to get very fit very quickly, and learn the skills pretty quick. If you have that much time, I’d spend the first 800-1000 miles just learning to ride the coker, the next moving down to 125mm cranks. Then concentrate on speed, and spinning reliably at speed. By this point you should not be falling off the coker ever.

Also be careful with riding those sort of distances when you’re starting from a low base that you don’t screw your knees. If you get hurty knees, don’t ride through it, dump a few training rides, it’s a sign you’re training too hard, and you’ll end up with buggered knees if you’re not careful, which is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in a race like this.

You may also find it beneficial to cut down the distance at times, and concentrate purely on speed. If you’re willing to ride a lot, getting endurance up so that you can ride the distances is not that hard, whereas increasing speed takes training. Bear in mind that the distances in RTL are not super-large, and you only have to ride a third of the total distance, so it’s more of a middle distance race than a long distance race, and pure speed will be at least as important as endurance.

Joe

200 miles a week = around 3 hours a day averaging 11 mph. 6 days a week

comes out to be a little more time than I’d spend at XCountry practice.

And I’m guessing increasing speed is almost entirely based on spinning technique? I’ve found some people that say you should try to get a “floating” feeling in your feet while pedaling. I guess I’ll just see what works for me in reducing the bouncing while riding high cadences.

And I plan on getting some 110’s in a few months. I ordered my nimbus with 125’s cause I’m hoping I can take the 152’s off my Torker and put them on there to start.

Thanks bunchess :slight_smile:

I’ve tried it a few times after seeing a post by Roger Davies and it does seem to help reduce bouncing, although it can feel a bit sketchy and there’s a fine line between just the right amount of “float” and foot slipping off the pedal -> crash (perhaps that’s why Sam and a few others use little toe clips). I’m no speed demon on a coker though, so I can’t say whether it helps top speed (I’ll happily cruise at 12 or 13mph but don’t feel safe over 15). I’m using 150s BTW, mostly xc riding rather than roads.

Good luck if you do decide to enter the race.

Rob

oh, one other thing…

If too many people sign up do we know how thats going to be dealt with yet? I’ve done some searching but no luck…

most likely some sort of filtering ride? First 60 riders or something to finish get to participate? And then if some members of your team don’t make the cut you will need to rebuild your team using other people who made it through the filtering ride? :thinking:

You should go for some rides with me around DC once you get your nimbus, you can’t be too far away if you are in MD.