Can I come to your uni club meet

Hi,
I need help finding unicycle clubs and/or individuals keen to do some uniycling with me as I travel around the world from Australia to Japan for Unicon. I’m not familiar with distances between cities etc in the countries I’m visiting, so if you go to a club in (or close to) one of the following places and will be having a club meeting between the dates indicated, please let me know so I can try and get there.
I’m especially keen to try as many unicycle games as possible (I’ve played uni basketball and hockey so far) and I’d love to do some muni (I’m the Australian womens champion muni rider).

I’ll be in San Francisco (26 May-3 June, visiting San Francisco School of Circus Arts), New York (3-11 june, going on the long beach island ride), Birmingham and Manchester (11-26 june), Munich (26 june-9 july), Hong Kong (9-16 july) and Tokyo (16 july-4 august).

Thanks heaps!

Re: Can I come to your uni club meet

Deb,

Roe, the organizer of the LBI Unithon told me about you. She was very excited to have someone from such a distant land joining us. Four years ago we had two women twins from Germany riding. They rode 24" unis and finished the ride way before a bunch of us on Cokers.

Anyway, look forward to meeting you! I believe that according to their schedule the New York Unicycle Club should be meeting the day after the Unithon.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

twins on long beach island ride

“Four years ago we had two women twins from Germany riding. They rode 24” unis and finished the ride way before a bunch of us on Cokers. "

Thanks for your reply… and wow thats amazing… and a coincidence because… wait for it… I’m a twin as well! My identical twin won’t be joining us on the ride though because she has just had a baby.

Cheers,
Deb.

Wow, what a great thing to do. Please don’t think I’m rude for asking, but how do you swing such a trip? I have trouble taking off an entire 5 days in a row. Are you out of school for the summer?

PS What a great thing to do.

PSS If your flight is diverted to Memphis for some reason, look up the Memphis Unicycle Club. We’ll put something together for you on the spot. How about a ride near Graceland?

Re: twins on long beach island ride

I think I speak for many here when I say, and that’s an excuse?

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

In article <deb.1437kc@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
deb <deb@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I’ll be in San Francisco (26 May-3 June, visiting San Francisco School
)of Circus Arts)

Probably the most active club in the immediate area of San Francisco
is the Berkeley unicycle basketball group. We also do MUni stuff (we
had 4 people at Moab). <http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~juggle/uni.php>.

There are also significant concentrations of unicyclists near Sacramento
and Santa Cruz, both about 2-hour drives from SF.
-Tom

Speaking for Sacramento:

Yes, we get together mostly for trail rides. What kind of riding do you like to do? I’m sure we can set something up if riders are available on Memorial Day weekend.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Memphis Mud
[B]Wow, what a great thing to do. Please don’t think I’m rude for asking, but how do you swing such a trip?

I don’t consider it rude for you to ask because basically it’s a dream come true for me to travel the world doing unicycling.

First let me explain something… I ‘m a fairy … and by that I mean I have (or at least HAD) wings! It’s a long story… just check out kidzfunbiz.com. In short, I finished high school, traveled with a circus, did a Batchelor of Science degree and then discovered that I’m a fairy. That’s the obvious progression in life isn’t it?
I just tell the kids that I entertain that I had to go to UNIversity to learn how to ride a UNIcycle (lol). I’m now a self employed childrens entertainer and basic circus skills instructor… and it IS my “real job”!

Anyway, I applied for a Winston Churchill Fellowship (www.churchillfellowship.com.au) in order to achieve personal development from an international perspective that can’t be obtained in Australia. The purpose of the trust is to fund Australians to travel internationally to bring back knew skills and ideas to share with other Australians. The application process for the funding involved me demonstrating my achievements to date and my dedication to community development in the past and in the future. It was obvious to the panel of selectors that by investing in me, they would be investing in the future of the Australian Community.

All in all it simply means I am a very, very lucky person to be funded to do what I love doing!!

The trust is providing my airfare and some overseas allowance for 7 weeks (and I’m trying to fund 3 more weeks). Without the Churchill Trusts financial support it would be financially impossible for me to participate in this incredible learning experience.

Many people apply for a Churchill Fellowship each year however the Churchill trust has never funded (possibly never even met) a fairy before, hence my presentation to the panel of selectors raised a few eyebrows, and was a lot of fun!

Regarding diverting to Memphis for a ride near Graceland …… I appreciate the invite and I’ll be there!…. if you can arrange a short ride IN Graceland (or at least a photo opportunity there with my uni).

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Tom Holub
Probably the most active club in the immediate area of San Francisco is the Berkeley unicycle basketball group. We also do MUni stuff (we had 4 people at Moab).

Thanks Tom,
Count me in for a meet on Tuesday 1st June! Maybe also the week before on 25th May, but thats the same day I arrive from Autralia (28hrs flying time from my home town), so I may be a little off balance. Hey that just sounds like a uni challenge though! I’ll be arriving in San Francisco about midday on 25th May. Can I catch a train or bus to Berkeley from the airport?

Also, what is Moab?

Deb.

I love muni

I’m not into trials but I love muni, so trail rides sound great. I would love to ride the trail shown in the pic on the front page of your website demonstrating mountain unicycling (or a similar trail). We don’t have mountains in Darwin and I’m even hard pressed to find a proper hill, so that ride looks really great.

I don’t have anything planned for 29, 30 or 31 May as yet.

How would I get to Sacramento from San Francisco, Haight-Ashbury District? (I won’t be driving). Are there trains or buses?

Thanks John.

Clubs near Munich?

I desperately need to make contact with any clubs in/near Munich (Germany). Does anyone know of any there, or should I be going elsewhere in Germany to meet other unicyclists?

Thanks,
Deb

Re: Clubs near Munich?

Try posting in the German Forum: Deutsches Einradforum.

hey debbie

I’m now living in Exeter (UK) its s bit of a way from birmingham ( approx 120 miles), BUT we do have plans for a muni ride on the 13th Jun, and a pootle on the 20th. To either or both of which you are warmly invited, a unicycle can be found to fit you! I have work commitments in the evenings on the days inbetween. BUT those commitments are as TSM for a training theatre company, so if you wanted to see what trainee actors and performers in Devon are up to you would be welcome to drop in and watch, and the company (trainees) are normally keen to talk with professionals in the field.

Drop me a pm or e-mail to sarah dot miller at unicyclist dot com if its something you want to discuss further. Are you bringing your tiny uni again?
Sarah

Hi Steve,

I gave it a go and it wasn’t too hard to work out so thanks for that.

Deb.

Wow what a schedule!

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your help here and with the Mayhem (red bull) ride info. My schedule is looking great now, however I still need to find some unicycling to do in Manchestor around 15th-19th June and in Munich and Berlin around 30th June-14th July?Any suggestions?

Also, what other types of group unicycle games can be played besides hockey and basketball?

Deb.

In article <deb.14589a@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
)
)Tom Holub wrote:
)> Probably the most active club in the immediate area of San Francisco
)> is the Berkeley unicycle basketball group. We also do MUni stuff (we
)> had 4 people at Moab).
)>
)>
)> Thanks Tom,
)> Count me in for a meet on Tuesday 1st June! Maybe also the week before
)> on 25th May, but thats the same day I arrive from Autralia (28hrs
)> flying time from my home town), so I may be a little off balance. Hey
)> that just sounds like a uni challenge though! I’ll be arriving in San
)> Francisco about midday on 25th May. Can I catch a train or bus to
)> Berkeley from the airport?

You can take BART (the regional transit system) from SFO to Berkeley;
the BART station is just a couple of blocks from where we play basketball.

)> Also, what is Moab?

See the various other threads on “Moab MUniFest”. In short, a great place
for MUni.
-Tom

In article <deb.1458hf@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
)
)How would I get to Sacramento from San Francisco, Haight-Ashbury
)District? (I won’t be driving). Are there trains or buses?

You can take BART to Richmond, and then the Amtrak “Capital Corridor”
train to Sacramento. The total trip time will be 2-2.5 hours.
-Tom

Hi Deb,

If you would like a stop-over in Manchester, then you’re more than welcome to stay at our place. It’s me, Wendy, Tio (4 1/2 years) and Zak (5 months). We’ve done plenty of backpacking ourselves and know what it’s like when you’re on the road. If you want to know what you’re letting yourself in for, then have a word with Roger, as he knows us well.

You could train with me for ‘Red Bull’ as that will be the following week. There’s some really great cross-country and Muni not-so-far away. At the moment I train there twice a week.

We also have a unicycle club in Manchester (Denton Unicycle Club - DUC), which meet up on Tuesday evenings. You’re more than welcome to come along.

By-the-way, we briefly met at BUC9 two years ago.

Please email me at steve.colligan@ntlworld.com

Steve

Will you have time for some Muni?

Deb,
sounds like your schedule is already full but let us know if you think you might have some time at the weekend whilst you are here to do some muni in the Lake District!! It might be a little bit more challenging than that around Manchester - ay Steve.

Simon

Re: Will you have time for some Muni?

Thanks Simon,

It might be good for Steve and I to do some practicing with you in the Lake district.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all this info. I am now going to book my plane tickets to confirm my trip…yahhhhh.

Hope to see you all soon.

Deb.