Can adjusting a seat make THAT much difference??!

So I installed my new KH seat post and noticed the I was riding more on my crotch instead of my butt. I had it adjusted all the way back and it was just not as comfortable as my old post. So I added a washer between the seat and post and what HUGE difference!?:smiley: It is at an even further back angle over my old post and WOW! I rode for 30 minutes before the change and just couldn’t get comfortable, so I added the washers and my control improved a very noticeable amount. I used less leg muscle to keep my Uni under me and so of course I went a lot further with less leg power.
My starts are much better too…who knew what a difference a washer under the seat could make!:D:D

I am very excited to get out there tonight and get some more riding in!

Makes a big difference - it’s two of only four points of contact with the unicycle: two pedals, seat and handle. I have all my seats adjusted “nose up”.

I posted something similar to this recently as I was experimenting with the effects of adjusting the saddle and wondered what others had done. I use a Nimbus saddle and position it pretty ‘flat’. I also run it fairly forward on the rail. Like this:

http://www.aarthaus.co.uk/seat4.html

You can see how flat it is by the extent to which the allen screws on the rail are adjusted. The front one is pulled right up and the rear is screwed out to allow the seat to drop flat. At this setting for me everything seems to move forward as I pedal - without too much tendency to tip backwards.

Of course I have tried a range of settings but always come back to this - I wonder if it is a fairly extreme setting? maybe the brand of seat makes a difference?

it seems different people find different setups more comfortable. I prefer the nose up slightly higher, but I use different angles with different saddles. Have a reshaped velo saddle that I run in a very similar position.
Also, I noticed what you’re talking about with adjusting the bolts. The center ‘half barrel’ sections can rotate, allowing both bolts to be in the same position regardless of the angle of the seat. In other words, both bolts should be adjusted equally regardless of the desired position.

it seems different people find different setups more comfortable. I prefer the nose up slightly higher, but I use different angles with different saddles. Have a reshaped velo saddle that I run in a very similar position.
Also, I noticed what you’re talking about with adjusting the bolts. The center ‘half barrel’ sections can rotate, allowing both bolts to be in the same position regardless of the angle of the seat. In other words, both bolts should be adjusted equally regardless of the desired position.

my bad, i gave wrong information, i just looked @ my kh post, and its different than i remembered. i have a similar post of a more complex design, and my info was based on that post.

also, i just decreased the angle of my kh freeride saddle, and i think i like it better that way! i think i still like the velo saddle i customized a little better :slight_smile: i don’t like the dual-density foam,it seems the top layer is too soft to really matter, and the lower foam is a little too hard to evenly distribute pressure. i have been hoping i’d get used to it, but i may just customize another velo saddle, and put a kh cover on it. sorry for the the threadjack!

Oh wow, didnt know this. Off to see if I can tilt my seat up! :smiley:

You seem to have answered your own question in your (original) post. :slight_smile:

That said, the optimum seat angle or position depends on the type of riding being done, the type of saddle it is (brand, model), and most importantly, the personal preferences of the rider. Those vary a lot.

Back in the bad old days when there were few unicycles to choose from, the Schwinns had slotted posts (now used by KH) that offered about 1/2" of fore-aft adjustment. I always rode those with the seat pushed as far forward as possible. That minimized saddle-soreness on the old Schwinn seats. Miyata seats offered no angle adjustment, so you could either bend them (which we may have learned by accident), or mess around with the foam in the seats to make adjustments. Nowadays life is much better, with lots of choices!

I’m assuming the discussion is focused on riding distance, since seat angle is less important on a muni; we are often posting up off the seat when riding.

I do notice seat post height difference when I sit and ride on flatter trail sections. A higher seat position lets my legs rest more. I find that an increase of 1/4" at a time is a really big deal, takes a ride or two to adjust.

I run a slightly higher “nose”, but still relatively flat, likely due to the need to be clear of the seat when riding off road.

I too was amazed at how comfortable my ride became once I installed a bicycle rail type seatpost and seatpost adaptor. Although I guess it’s a bit out of vogue now with the new KH seatpost that functions w/o an rail-adaptor, still having the ability to further adjust the seat forward, backward, up and down has really helped. Like most every newbie I started out with a standard 4 bolt seatpost and saddle; not a lot of room for adjustment. I found that being able to tilt the front of the saddle up, so my sit-bones rest more on the saddle and my “other stuff” isn’t being smashed really made the whole riding experience more pleasant (duh!). So the saddle height and tilt is one thing, the other was the saddle type. I really like the newish KH Fusion Freeride that has the channel cut down the middle, that really made in difference in comfort. I used to have an air saddle but never really got it adjusted quite right. The good thing is, even if you don’t have a KH Fusion Freeride you can modify your existing saddle fairly easily, as long as you have a saddle cover. I took my old KH saddle cover off, cut a channel down the middle and put on a new saddle cover. Works great!

I’ve been known to make seat height adjustments mid-ride, if there are long climbs, long “easy” parts or long descents. High seat for climbing, middle for easy sections, and low for the technical stuff. I usually don’t adjust for variable terrain, but do if I know it’s going to be a long bunch of one or the other.

I haven’t tried adjusting seat height…I will have to keep that in mind for the future.

I think I will be trying to see if I can adjust my saddle on the coker. I went on my first 2h30m+ ride and just couldn’t get sitting more on my butt then my tant. Not sure if I can adjust the stock seat but I’m going to take a look before my next ride.