CamelBak Patch?

I have just noticed a leak in my CamelBak bladder. It’s a very small puncture which I believed was caused by my dog chewing on it. Do any of you know how i could patch it? The hole (or holes) are so small that I could use it with only a few ounces of water loss over several hours. I was thinking that I could use some sort of tape, or a tube patch for the repair. Would either be effective and safe? To complicate matters, I normally freeze the bladder to prevent little things from growing in the bladder. I don’t know what effect freezing would have on duct tape or tube patches.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Daniel

When my platypus water bladder developed a hole I patched it with a platy patch avalible from large retailers that stock platy products, maybe Camelbac do the same sort of thing , or you could use a self adhesive bike tube patch . I used one of those today to patch a leaky wader ( high waterproof boot for wading, not the sea bird).

SArah

I put a simple square of duct tape over a small hole in my pack 1.5 years ago. It’s been holding ever since. It’s not on a seam or anything, that probably wouldn’t work

While a tire patch may be an easy fix, you may not want to be drinking anything that comes in contact with the adhesive – who knows what it’s made of?!?

You may have to order it from a catalog, but look for “food grade RTV sealant”. It’s non-toxic and, once dry, won’t leach any chemicals or outgas into your water. I used it to fix my generic Camelback pouch and it’s survived a few freeze / thaw cycles.

I didn’t even think about using food specific products for this repair. Maybe I should talke to SH about it. Thanks for the ideas.

i’m sure they must make camelback specific patches

I don’t see why you stubborn do-it-yourself kids don’t just buy a new Bladder, they are inexpensive, available at everywhere that sells CamelBak’s and also AVAILABLE ON EBAY.

Duct Tape should be fine until you get a new bladder.

…because you don’t need to? Sure, they’re cheap, but it’s not necessary at all. a bit of duct tape, or something else would work just fine…

The 100 ounce bladder costs quite a bit more then then 30 ounce. Besides, I don’t think I want a used one. That’s just sick.

:thinking: Sarah, were you researching the potential for a below-sea-level muni ride at next months SWUM ? That would beat Roger’s max 2m above mean sea level muni ride along the sea-front to Rhyl during Mostyn Mayhem a couple of years ago. :wink:

Chris

Actuly I was building an island and had one of the best days i’ve had for weeks, big grin on face most of the day as I messed about in a pond with timber, sandbags and a LOT of silt and soil. The resulting island is about 2x4m and will improve the wildlife habiat in the pond a lot once its planted up.
But we COULD do an underwater muni ride at swum next month if only there were more time in the day. The exminster marshes are flooded at the mo as is the track that goes across them, took the car across the other day and got VERY scared the engine would flood. Even on a coker i’d have had wet ankles.

SArah

First, as always, try duct tape. In the unlikely event that it doesn’t work, (unimaginable really):

Every Hardware store has tubes of 100% silicone.

I’ve sealed dozens of holes in hip waders. Never failed. Tarps. Even the roof of a car.

One little dab on the spot…wait till cured…its a chunk of plastic.

As for human consumption, I don’t think you should eat it.

But…They implant silicone in the body…

I just fixed Ben’s wrestling shoes with Shoe Goo. It’s pretty impressive stuff. I wonder if that might work.

If you patch from the outside, any contact with adhesive through the small hole would most likely be negligible.

Bruce

Re: CamelBak Patch?

“yoopers” <yoopers@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> I just fixed Ben’s wrestling shoes with Shoe Goo. It’s pretty
> impressive stuff. I wonder if that might work.

I generally prefer Seamgrip to Shoe Goo for patching things, but in
this case the earlier advice to find food grade RTV (silicone) sealer
seems right on the mark.

Ken

Re: CamelBak Patch?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:12:31 -0600, “munidobs” wrote:

> :thinking: Sarah, were you researching the potential for a
>below-sea-level muni ride at next months SWUM ? That would beat Roger’s
>max 2m above mean sea level muni ride along the sea-front to Rhyl during
>Mostyn Mayhem a couple of years ago. :wink:

I do much of my MUni riding below sea level.
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/beest_photos.htm>, bottom pic.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs