Calling all riders in the Denver, CO area

I am going to be in Fort Collins, Colorado from Saturday 29th of May to 11th of June. It would be very cool to hook up with some local riders in the Fort Collins/Boulder/Denver area and go for some rides. I’ll be bringing my MUni with me (its second visit to the USA) for some offroad action. I should have plenty of time to ride and a flexible schedule too.

Where can I go MUni-ing around Ft Collins? Anyone know of any good areas/trails to try?

Cat chews
Tony

Tony and others,

I’ll be living in Denver this summer (DTC area) and free for riding sometime in June. Drop me an email when you get there, or dig up this thread.

email: info_(at)_gb4mfg.com

Cheers,

Hi Tony;

We’d be happy to hook-up with you for a ride. We’re in Boulder, and alot of our favorite trails are in between Boulder and Fort Collins. Also there is a Wed night trials thing we do in a local gym, lots of fun and a soft floor to land on! Send me a PM and we can talk further.

Hey George;

Sorry, didn’t mean to leave you out, give us a holler when you’re in town.

I posted a reply to this thread via Usenet, but the gateway is down. The bottom line is there is good riding near Fort Collins, and I’m sure plenty more if you head south towards Denver.

Let’s hook up for a ride (easy for you, hard for me :slight_smile: when you get to town. Send me an email or look me up in the phone book.

Ken Cline

Hi all. By all means, count me in if you get something going. Shoot me a PM or email me at ahoggatt at comcast dot net. Can’t wait! Been looking forward to meeting Jim_Rob and others.

Andy

Wow what a response to my post! I haven’t checked on RSU for 3 days as I’ve been out of town at the first NZ MUni weekend. Looking forward to going riding with all of you guys. Thanks a lot George, Ken, Andy and Jim. I will get in touch with you once I arrive in Colorado, either by email or PMs.

Can’t wait to Muni-ing in ther Rockies!

–Tony

Make time to head into the mountains, 2-3hr drive, and come to Aspen. Plan on a weekend or two weekdays minimum for some excellent riding. Cheers

I will be in Denver tomorrow (tuesday) and will be there through Saturday. It would be great to meet other unicyclists and ride!

Hopeful;

I just sent you a PM.

I’m 2 hours south of Denver, but go up there all the time. I’d love to get a good ride in. I have Tues/Weds off work this month if that works for you. There are a crap load of good trails along the entire Front range.

I’m in Denver now! It’s so beautiful here!!!

Boy it looks like I’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to Muni! I’ll try and go riding with as many of you as possible… i just hope my legs will cope!

-Tony

Urgent appeal! Need 36 in rim, NOW!

I’m not a unicyclist, but I am hoping someone on looking at this thread will know where a 36 in coker or similar 36 in rim can be obtained right away. A friend of mine is in the Kinetics race in Boulder this Saturday, May 7, and his Coker rim just pretzeled. Please email bosque124@msn.com if you have any info on bike shops or anyone in else in the Denver area that might be willing to sell a rim or wheel now.

Thanks

Re: Calling all riders in the Denver, CO area

In article <BOSQUE.15v8fr@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
BOSQUE <BOSQUE@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I’m not a unicyclist, but I am hoping someone on looking at this thread
)will know where a 36 in coker or similar 36 in rim can be obtained right
)away. A friend of mine is in the Kinetics race in Boulder this
)Saturday, May 7, and his Coker rim just pretzeled. Please email
)bosque124@msn.com if you have any info on bike shops or anyone in else
)in the Denver area that might be willing to sell a rim or wheel now.

Sorry, I can’t help you, but I thought it was interesting that
someone’s doing a kinetic sculpture race on unicycle. I’m currently
preparing a unicycle entry for the 3-day Arcata-to-Ferndale Kinetic
Sculpture race over Memorial Day Weekend. What’s the Boulder race like,
what kind of distance and terrain? Are the rules similar to
Arcata-to-Ferndale? What’s the Coker rider using for flotation?
-Tom

Actually, its not a unicyle. The craft is a sort of tricycle with a separate paddle drive for the water. But the wheels are 36 in. cokers, and I noticed that some unicyles use these. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve only seen the Boulder race once. I would guess about 3 miles, dirt roads, mud and maybe a mile worth of water in total.

Re: Calling all riders in the Denver, CO area

In article <BOSQUE.15vd2h@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
BOSQUE <BOSQUE@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Actually, its not a unicyle. The craft is a sort of tricycle with a
)separate paddle drive for the water. But the wheels are 36 in. cokers,
)and I noticed that some unicyles use these. Thanks for the reply.

Ah, interesting. Yes, I’m sure there’s someone near Boulder who has a
Coker, but I’m not sure it will help you much; the hub is totally
different, so you’d have to deconstruct the one wheel, steal the rim,
and reconstruct the other.

Cokers tend to be pretty easy to de-taco; you might be better off just
detensioning the wheel and banging it around a bit until it’s more or
less straight, then retensioning. If your wheel doesn’t require strict
tolerances.

)I’ve only seen the Boulder race once. I would guess about 3 miles, dirt
)roads, mud and maybe a mile worth of water in total.

Sounds fun!
-Tom

Thanks for the advice! The wheel has been “de-tacoed.”

Cool!
If y’all want to make another kinetic sculpture that uses a Coker tire there is a better rim available now. Unicycle.com has a custom alloy rim that will fit the Coker tire: Airfoil 36 inch rim. It’s made from the extrusion for a downhill bike rim. It’s a strong rim. Much stronger than the steel rim.

A brief update on my travel plans: I’m now going to be arriving a week later on the 4th of June and staying in Fort Collins until the 18th. I’m really looking forward to riding in the Rockies and meeting all you Colorado unicyclists.

-Tony