Calling all gentlemen

Sense of proportion time?

I count myself as a reasonably keen rider. In winter I ride maybe 2 or 3 evenings a week, and some weekends. In summer, I often ride almost every day. Rides of 2 - 3 hours are common. I know others out there do more. And I doubt that the time I spend sitting in the saddle is more than 2 hours a week, spread in lots of short bursts between standing up, falling off, remounting, and all the other things that unicyclists do.

The bicyclists who get the dreaded penile numbness, and possibly lasting effects, are normally athletes who ride hundreds of miles a week and spend most of that time in the same position, on a narrow saddle with negligible padding.

I won’t belittle anybody’s fear of cancer (I have lost family to it), but we must accept that the fear is more prevalent than the disease - almost to the point of phobia in some sectors of society.

You can get long term medical problems including heart disease or cancer from a salty diet, a meat rich diet, too little exercise, too much exercise, working in a polluted city, driving with the heater on and the windows closed, working in an air conditioned building, living near power lines… the list goes on, and on.

Unicycling has many health benefits. It is good cardiovascular and aerobic exercise; it builds stamina; it is low impact (joking apart); it develops coordination and balance; it strengthens muscles and therefore bones, there must be a knock on effect in psychological health… and this list goes on and on too.

You can live or you can not die. They are two different things.

Enjoy your riding, and if it starts to hurt, back off for a bit, and build back up again.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Klaas Bil
[B]
“Penile numbness - yes on longer rides, also penile smallness. Both effects
have fully recovered on all occasions, thank God”.

I suffer from penile smallness too, however mine has not returned back to normal. This condition, which appears to be permanent, really doesn’t bother ME much.

My wife on the other hand, would prefer that I return to normal. I was honest with her and told her of the problem BEFORE we were married. Since I have MADE SURE to unicycle VERY steadily throughout our 16-year marriage, she has never seen me as normal. She always asks about the way I use to be, and what I will be like when the riding stops. She is very much anticipating my retiring from the sport.

But the truth is I have been unicyling for so long I don’t think I will ever return to the way I was, and it frightens me. I’m afraid she will think that I lied about the problem along.

I just am going to keep unicyling forever to avoid any problems of this sort.

dan

Re: Calling all gentlemen

mountainunicycle <mountainunicycle.jiqe4@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Second, in my opinion, I would bet that unicyclists are at as least as
> much risk for erectile dysfunction as cyclists.

Obviously, given that unicyclists are cyclists.

Paul

Paul Selwood
paul@vimes.u-net.com http://www.vimes.u-net.com

Follow up study needed!

I happened to stumble upon this today and got a real chuckle from it. Make sure that you read Harper’s and dan’s posts. The last post was 4 years ago so this would be a good time to do a follow up study from the previous posters.

Bicyclists have been intentionally frightened by people telling them scary things while trying to sell them stuff. Try to make yourself comfortable, but don’t worry about it overly much, it’s not that big a deal.

I’m sure he’s figured it out by now.

ando.JPG

funny stuff