Buying a new uni

I have been out of the unicycling scene for a while now, 3 years actually. and my old unicycle just doesn’t cut it for me anymore. i learned on it and put it through some good abuse. before i stopped riding, i began offroading a little, and starting messing around with some basic street riding. i wouldn’t consider myself a beginning, but i’d like a cycle i can learn even more on. i rode constantly for a solid 3 years before taking my break. i need a 24" and something i can ride daily (to class and such). I’m willing to spend up to $500, maybe a little more, depending on what i need. i was looking at some of the KH uni’s but not really sure what i need. Maybe an affordable uni that offers a little of everything? any input would be great!
Steve-

If your sure your gonna stick with unicycling get a Kh 24 or 29 very nice or you can buy a torker ax 24 or 29 also very nice and cheap.
http://torkerusa.com/

Do you mean two seperate unis, or that the 24" you get should also be able to ride to class? For offroad you can’t beat a KH, but the torker DX is very popular in the US and can be picked up much cheaper. For road riding short and medium distance the 29" is a good idea, the KH is overkill for this, it’s really intended for riding rough trails at high speed, the torker 29" or the nimbus 29" would get you around at a fair speed for reasonable cost.

The only downside of the Torker is it’s about 2 lbs. heavier. The KH is a bit easier to hop up/ over stuff and is a bit more nimble.

Unless you are seriously considering doing hard core uni or over 200 lbs. I’d get a 24" Nimbus II and, if you were talking about two unis, a 29". A Nimbus or Torker AX (most including me don’t like the LX seat it comes with). If you are then I’d hold out for a 24" KH

Get the KH24 2007!

Hi Steve,

Defintely get the KH24 2007. The price is a little high at UDC Atlanta but it is the BEST unicycle on the market. Below is a review that I wrote to Roland from UDC Germany and Kris. Now after riding the Unicycle for over a month I am also a great fan of the saddle. This is just a perfect machine and i would be hating myself right now if I had purchased a cheaper unicycle.

All the Best!

Adam

Some first impressions and feedback of the New KH24. I did not go muni riding with it because it rained the night before and all of the trails were very muddy. :frowning: Instead I took it to the Promenade along the Tel Aviv beach. There are tons of stairs and concrete railing along the promenade making it a trials/urban riding paradise.:slight_smile: I put it through a hard workout. My arm and legs are very sore!

1. The new Rim is very impressive. I think that it allows for much more air volume in the tire than the older DX32 rim. I bounced right up stairs! It is much harder to get the tire on an off than the DX32 rim. Yes, I had to change the inner tube that you provided it came with a puncture. Luckily I had a spare Nokian DH 1.45mm inner tube! A few Bicycle trial riders who happened by were very impressed by the 24" drilled rim.

2. I liked the roughing that was done to the crown for foot traction while gliding/wheel walking or one foot pedaling. It gives me a reason to start working on those skills.

3. The welding seems use quite a bit of material but are of good quality.

4. The 2007 moment hub is thin! The ISIS cranks are beauties! So comfortable with the flat top and bottom for doing crank tricks. Also the protrusion where the crank connects to the hub is gone. It was a source of a lot of ankle wounds in the past! In all Kris has outdone himself with the new cranks! As expected the 165mm cranks are perfect. I have a friend that has 140mm cranks on a 24" setup and in a race on flat ground I can’t compete but on the single track he never seems to go faster than me.

5. The crown design is great. It is the major reason why I upgraded from my Onza. I have not hit the inside of my knees or my shin guards even once! I have always like the design of the KH crowns and with the 2007 model the design has even been improved.

6. I did not find the Freeride Fusion Saddle as comfortable as the older KH Onza branded saddle. I did not get a sore but after riding for over 4 hours on Friday but I was doing much more standing and seat in front than I would normally be doing a Muni ride. To really test it out I will have to do at least an hour long road or cross country ride where I don’t do any standing or SIF. The new saddle is much slimmer though and allows for very easy removal for SIF. However it is much harder to hold onto because of the rail adaptor. Another major difference is the lack of curvature. Even though the lowest part of the saddle was exactly the same height as the old Onza saddle the lack of curvature made the handle much lower. This was very noticeable. Also the seat seams to slip out from between my thighs. I have tilted the seat up and this seems to compensate all though it feels a little weird. I will have to get used to these new effects and let you know how it works out.

7. The bearing clamps are solid CNCed Aluminum and close completely around the bearings. This is great. With my old Onza I always had to guesstimate how much I needed to tighten the bolts.

8. The four bolts mounts for the Magura brake are solid aluminum and not folded metal. This is a plus.

9. The Odyssey pedals are better than the Snafu pedals that came with the KH29 that you sold me. They grip the bottom of my boots much better. The replaceable pins are a huge plus.

10. The Duro Wildlife 24X3 tire is great. I never rode on a Nokian tire so I can’t compare. It would be interesting to try though.

11. The post clamp is now as good as the Onza and Koxx One clamps. Don’t know why it took Kris so long to upgrade here.

12. I don’t know what to think about the seat rail style of post. It does interfere with holding on to the side of the saddle during SIF but it seems necessary with the thinner seats for adjusting the angle. It also makes the Unicycle Saddles compatible with Bike posts.

^^^ Well i think that sums it up pretty well don’t you. :smiley: :smiley: ^^^

thanks to everyone for their input. i think i will be going with the KH 24" 2007. I think i can shell out the extra cash. i need this uni to last alot longer than my last. anything will be a step up from what i was dealing with before. my old uni was limiting what i could do as a cyclist. i’m sure the KH will allow me to take my cycling alot further. (i was only talking about one uni for those who though i was talking about two) thanks everyone. now i just need a friend who can cycle with me :slight_smile: